Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is £1600 a good price in today's market for the 65"?

Is £1600 a good price in today's market for the 65"?

yes, I paid slightly less a couple of months back but not seen it cheaper since so £1600 is a very good price for the TV you’re getting. Think it was circa £3500 at launch!

yes, I paid slightly less a couple of months back but not seen it cheaper since so £1600 is a very good price for the TV you’re getting. Think it was circa £3500 at launch!
Think I'll push for less, got another tv to buy at the same time so hopefully they'll do something.

Here is my settings. They work best for me. hope it helps.
Updated after v.1374

SDR (TV freeview)

Movie mode
16:9 standard
Autowide enabled
4:3 screen size 16:9 standard
Fit to Screen On

Backlight: 28
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 40
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 25
Tint (G/R): 0
Apply Picture Settings: Current Source
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus Settings: Custom
Blur reduction 0
Judder reduction 0
LED clear motion off
Local Dimming: Standard
Contrast Enhancer: low
Film Mode: Off
Colour Tone: Warm2

White Balance
2 point
Red gain +8
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain +8
Red Offset 0
Green Offset +2
Blue Offset +4
20 point setting off

Gamma: BT.1868
BT.1868: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Colour Space Settings: Auto

SDR (Apps - Youtube/Netflix/Amazon/BBC)

Movie mode

Backlight: 32
Contrast: 40
Blur reduction 10
Judder reduction 3
LED clear motion off
Local Dimming: Standard
Contrast Enhancer: Off

White Balance
2 point
Red gain +8
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain +8
Red Offset 0
Green Offset +2
Blue Offset +4
20 point setting off

Gamma: BT.1868

HDR (Apps - Youtube/Netflix/Amazon/BBC)

Movie mode

Backlight: 46
Contrast: 46
Blur reduction 10
Judder reduction 3
LED clear motion off
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: High

White Balance
2 point
Red gain +22
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain +3
Red Offset +4
Green Offset +1
Blue Offset +4
20 point setting off

Gamma: ST.2084 - 0

Games -PS5

I connected my PS5 via Yamaha RX681 (HDMI) then output from RX681 to Q90R HDMI3(ARC),
If I connect the PS5 via Q90R HDMI4 then the sound goes via Q90R HDMI3 to the RX681 I do get sound delay and distortion.

PS5 settings - all auto
HDR adjustment: after bypassing the autodimming with a glitch.
screen 1 and 2: 16 clicks from darkest shade (click all the way down and then 16 clicks up)
Screen 3- all the way down and 4 clicks up.

SDR
Game mode

Backlight: 40
Contrast: 30
Local Dimming: standard
Contrast Enhancer: off
Colour Tone: Warm1 (you can try warm 2 if it is too blue for you)

White Balance
2 point
Red gain 0
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain 0
Red Offset 0
Green Offset 0
Blue Offset 0
20 point setting off

External Device Manager
HDMI Black Level - auto

Game Mode on
Game Enhancer off
Dynamic Black Equaliser 0
Game Motion plus off
Blur reduction 0
Judder reduction 0
LED clear motion off
Freesync off

HDR games

Backlight: 46
Contrast: 46
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: off
Colour Tone: Warm1 (you can try warm 2 if it is too blue for you)

White Balance
2 point
Red gain 0
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain 0
Red Offset 0
Green Offset 0
Blue Offset 0
20 point setting off

ST.2084: 0

Game Mode on
Game Enhancer off
Dynamic Black Equaliser 0
Game Motion plus off
Blur reduction 0
Judder reduction 0
LED clear motion off
Freesync off

Last edited:
I ask this a lot on various posts, so sorry if you've already seen it, but what would be the closest LCD/QLED tv to my almost defunct and out of warranty Sony ZD9?I have kids, so want to avoid Oled if possible.Watch a lot of movies, and play a lot of Xbox games.looking to get the Series X this year, too.Help appreciated guys.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone use contrast enhancer for hdr videos? I was watching a hdr demo on youtube yesterday, there is a part where the scene goes dark but it appears the tv overly darkens it, or i think it does lol anyway when turning on the contrast enhancer to low, the tv does not darken the scene down as much and more detail is present, so does it help with shadow detail/black crush? On the flip side of that, whites seem to loose detail, for example, hdr moon demo, some detail is lost in bright whites.

0.25 in as the lights switch off is the example of the tv overly darkening, when contrast enhancer is on them details don't disappear.

Example of the bright whites slightly losing detail with it on.

So is it a case of if you want more shadow detail at expense of bright detail, have it on low, if you want bright detail at expense of shadow detail leave it off?

Also if anyone wants a playlist of hdr demos, film clips and games, nature and just random hdr demo's, here is a link to my playlist which i update frequently.

I've found similar and its currently on low as well, prefer to see some of the darker detail that it be lost with too much black crush.

Only had the 90R a short time but its incredibly impressive for movies for me.

I've found similar and its currently on low as well, prefer to see some of the darker detail that it be lost with too much black crush.

Only had the 90R a short time but its incredibly impressive for movies for me.
Yeah i was just messing around when i noticed it do that after turning CE on to low, will check other things to make sure if it's not a one off, then have to decide if to leave it on low or off.

So eARC will not fix sound lag...this is from other topic.

No EARC dosentthelp. My C9 with Beosound stage (both Earc) also suffer from lip sync :-( I have tried EVERYTHING. Only PCM sound helps a bit. But no multichannel then. Because of LG not mowing SW forward

On a precious c9?

I don't know much about them but would these fiber optic hdmi cables help with lip sync issues? I read they are supposed to deliver a faster signal? Im not to sure on their specifications or their prices (im guessing quite pricey)

So eARC will not fix sound lag...this is from other topic.

No EARC dosentthelp. My C9 with Beosound stage (both Earc) also suffer from lip sync :-( I have tried EVERYTHING. Only PCM sound helps a bit. But no multichannel then. Because of LG not mowing SW forward
Not strictly true...Lip Sync Correction is part of the eARC standard...in fact it's mandatory..
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 5.27.43 pm.png

I don't know much about them but would these fiber optic hdmi cables help with lip sync issues? I read they are supposed to deliver a faster signal? Im not to sure on their specifications or their prices (im guessing quite pricey)
Don't bother with other HDMI cables (of any kind). The problem with excessive audio delay (in the range of 100ms or more) for certain audio formats is caused by a bad implementation in these TV:s. I suspect that the delay is caused by the TV transcoding the signal. (Which can not be done fast enough.) A correct system solution should not require a time consuming transcoding.

Don't bother with other HDMI cables (of any kind). The problem with excessive audio delay (in the range of 100ms or more) for certain audio formats is caused by a bad implementation in these TV:s. I suspect that the delay is caused by the TV transcoding the signal. (Which can not be done fast enough.) A correct system solution should not require a time consuming transcoding.
In other topic they wrote that is Dolby fault thats why problem is on so many diferent tv sets.

Ah right, thanks for the reply. I was not going to get one, just wondered if these would help people having this issue 👍

It was this topic.

Fingers crossed the update for eARC arrives soon for those that want / need it and see what it fixes.

I'm going to my AVR first then onto the TV so the sound is already processed so no issues fortunately.

Is it possibile skip the problem with a 2 hdmi port bd player? 1 connected to the tv and the hdmi audio output to the avr?

It was this topic.

Thanks. I have searched through a couple of those pages. Can you point me to where someone posted more insight knowledge that Dolby (Laboratories) is to blame. (It seems to be caused by a common source for several manufacturers.)

Its opinion thats Dolby fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom