Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an E6 with some burn in, thinking of trading it in for the 65 q90r as Samsung will give me £1000 pounds for it, in total will cost me £1000 however that game mode video now has me worried :/

Don't really trust OLED anymore
I've got one delivered today on the same deal, coming from an LG 55EF950V here are my early observations

+picture is bright, black levels good
+software is fast
+tv looks nice
+remote is nice
+one connect box is a nice feature
+app support is really good
+upscaling is much better than the old LG

-picture lacks the pop of the oled even though it is bright
-tv seems to want to decide everything for me which means lots of messing around in settings
-whilst remote is nice I find I have to use the plastic one a lot for the settings, hopefully once setup this will end
-internet browser is still crap
-remote not as intuitive as magic remote from LG

It feels like a more feature heavy and complicated product than an LG TV to me.

I think that game mode video really overblows the issue. I think its due to Vincents camera settings. In real world usage my TV looks nothing like that in game mode on my tv, i get inky blacks. I get more blooming sure but its not that bad in 99% of scenes

Wow I thought my Q90 was the only magic, and it looked good in game mode and not like that video.

Finally, on the one hand I am glad that I am not the only one, on the other I am sorry for Mattchew, three have had and the three looked like that bad, that is bad luck.

I've been recording videos, with a good camera, not my phone, and the only way something similar happened to me was if I had the black equalizer up. With different shutter openings or different isos I had more or less blooming, but not a general rise in blacks until they were gray.

It can be done by raising the overall brightness, but I don't think something like that can be overlooked in an oversight, but the black equalizer setting if possible

Must say that usualy black bars are deep black like on oled but in some rare cases Netflix content has some strange black bars ratio and seems that backlight system dosent know how to deal with this.....

It's worth checking out TCLs new mini led TV. It's looking promising. TCLs cheap 6 series TV gave the Q90R a run for its money, some say it was better, it was way cheaper too. So TCLs mini led should do very well against it. That will be cheaper too.
You speak about this series 6?....

Wow I thought my Q90 was the only magic, and it looked good in game mode and not like that video.

Finally, on the one hand I am glad that I am not the only one, on the other I am sorry for Mattchew, three have had and the three looked like that bad, that is bad luck.

I've been recording videos, with a good camera, not my phone, and the only way something similar happened to me was if I had the black equalizer up. With different shutter openings or different isos I had more or less blooming, but not a general rise in blacks until they were gray.

It can be done by raising the overall brightness, but I don't think something like that can be overlooked in an oversight, but the black equalizer setting if possible
The black equalizer setting is just gamma with a different name. Vincent would have had that off as its not part of calibration. The TV looks good, but as Mumid said, it will look bad in certain scenes. Like when in caves in Assassins Creed Origins it will happen. If you have the TV calibrated properly anyway. But if you have the wrong settings, i.e, rgb levels not matching up and causing black crush, it won't. You can make this TV have really deep blacks and minimal blooming, but it won't be properly calibrated settings. It will be uncalibrated with black crush and losing details. For example. Play dark horror game Until Dawn. Play with dynamic contrast and you can make blacks and blooming better, but you lose quite a bit of detail in the background, stuff you should be able to see disappears and crushes into black. Its like reviews say, the Q90Rs local dimming etc is aggressive. An game mode the local dimming is less aggressive, hence more blooming in game mode. But most scenes it looks good. Its not broken TV's. And youtube videos often make the issues look worse than they are in person. And having them beside an OLED won't help it look better. I just purchased a Panasonic OLED and the difference is night and day with the QLED.

You speak about this series 6?....
Yup. Stop The Fomo on YouTube did a side by side with the Q90R and the TCL 6 Series and tested out all the mainstream recommended calibration settings with no editing to prove it. The TCL does look better. He tried about 6 different expert calibration settings and you could see close up on faces the Samsung Q90R had loss of detail in peoples faces. It was as if the faces had been airbrushed. But on the TCL 6 series you could see every single wrinkle and blemish on the faces. I was surprised by the results. Especially when you consider the TCL is about a 1/4 of the price of the Q90R. And has under half the dimming zones.

Yup. Stop The Fomo on YouTube did a side by side with the Q90R and the TCL 6 Series and tested out all the mainstream recommended calibration settings with no editing to prove it. The TCL does look better. He tried about 6 different expert calibration settings and you could see close up on faces the Samsung Q90R had loss of detail in peoples faces. It was as if the faces had been airbrushed. But on the TCL 6 series you could see every single wrinkle and blemish on the faces. I was surprised by the results. Especially when you consider the TCL is about a 1/4 of the price of the Q90R. And has under half the dimming zones.
Lol this is mid range tv,review is in the link so you can read.
EDIT:
Was watching Dracula on Netflix in hdr,faces of ppls are super detailed and crisp.
You guys should buy better cameras for making YT videos......and YT has compression.

The TCL6 series competition is the q70 not the q90.

Didn't think it was even available in the UK? Also didn't think the 8 series was confirmed for UK either? Therefore it's kind of daft suggesting it as an alternative choice

I wrote before that in some cases q90r cant compete with B7...example is Resident Evil 2,Tetriss Efect and simmilar games with alot of dark areas but i also wrote that games like GT Sports looks quite better on q90r.
I dont know if mobile camera can take HDR images.....

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_135206.jpg
    IMG_20200223_135206.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200223_135020.jpg
    IMG_20200223_135020.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20200223_135416.jpg
    IMG_20200223_135416.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 307
I think that game mode video really overblows the issue. I think its due to Vincents camera settings. In real world usage my TV looks nothing like that in game mode on my tv, i get inky blacks. I get more blooming sure but its not that bad in 99% of scenes
Had oled with burn in ..so got a q90 only had it since saturday and it has a fault so I'm going back to OLED not because of the fault on the q90 I just felt the oled is a better tv .

Rtings review of the series 6 "Unfortunately, the TCL 6 Series 2019 has only decent gray uniformity. There's significant vertical banding across the entire screen, and the corners are darker than the rest (also known as vignetting). This is especially disappointing for sports fans, but it's noticeable in most content." As stated before all tv's have their own foibles and issues. The ones in q90r gaming have already been noted in other reviews to be small to insignificant. Local dimming can also be fully turned off as well if you wish....

The black equalizer setting is just gamma with a different name. Vincent would have had that off as its not part of calibration. The TV looks good, but as Mumid said, it will look bad in certain scenes. Like when in caves in Assassins Creed Origins it will happen. If you have the TV calibrated properly anyway. But if you have the wrong settings, i.e, rgb levels not matching up and causing black crush, it won't. You can make this TV have really deep blacks and minimal blooming, but it won't be properly calibrated settings. It will be uncalibrated with black crush and losing details. For example. Play dark horror game Until Dawn. Play with dynamic contrast and you can make blacks and blooming better, but you lose quite a bit of detail in the background, stuff you should be able to see disappears and crushes into black. Its like reviews say, the Q90Rs local dimming etc is aggressive. An game mode the local dimming is less aggressive, hence more blooming in game mode. But most scenes it looks good. Its not broken TV's. And youtube videos often make the issues look worse than they are in person. And having them beside an OLED won't help it look better. I just purchased a Panasonic OLED and the difference is night and day with the QLED.

Black equalizer is not like gamma, and if you don't remove it, by default it's activated and in two out of five.

You can see in this video how it affects

and other one with game mode/film mode

And I know that it looks dark at 0, it's my mobile in person it looks good

My settings in game mode are light to 50, brightnees 0 contrast 50, color 25, sharpness to 2, game enhancer OFF, contrast intensifier OFF, attenuation HIGH, color Warm 1, gamma automatic , ST 2084 to 0, motion plus OFF black equalizer to 0.

Let's see if I can upload the videos I recorded with the 9T PRO that look amazing, but they are in my partner's cell phone, it's working now.

Must say that usualy black bars are deep black like on oled but in some rare cases Netflix content has some strange black bars ratio and seems that backlight system dosent know how to deal with this.....

yes it's true, I have also noticed fortunately it's not annoying at least for me, but it happens

The FOMO video being discussed is the one I mentioned weeks ago here.

People are missing the point of him using the TCL 6 Series for the comparisons. He's not suggesting it as an alternative to the Q90R, he just wanted to illustrate that a budget level 4K TV was able to render more resolution than the Q90R. His entire point is that Samsung are selling a 4K TV which doesn't display all the detail it should.

He's illustrating a point made in an article linked to beneath the video where an expert realised that Samsung were messing with the way the pixels displayed to help boost the wider viewing angle but that this came at the cost of the Q90R's ability to show the full resolution detail from a high quality 4K source.

He directly says he could've compared it to a Sony A9 but that would be "too easy" (ie., that people would expect a high end OLED to look better) and so he picked the cheapest 4K LCD available to him to show how Samsung are misleading customers.

FWIW, my personal take on it is that the TCL looks over sharpened (it's also mentioned in his follow up video which Mattchew mentions earlier here that the TCL seems to have a broken sharpness slider which doesn't change anything regardless of where it's set to). I'd also say it would be more fair if more than just still images were used and that's why when I asked about it earlier I said I wouldn't post the video here. All that said, there's no getting away from the video (and follow up video) illustrating the point that Samsung are compromising displaying detail so that they can widen the viewing angle.

The TCL 6 Series is only used for the purpose of illustrating just how badly this is being done. That a TV costing around a third of the price renders more detail. In almost every other area the Q90R should surpass the 6 Series but in the single most basic function of a 4K TV - rendering 4K worth of detail - it's beaten by a budget TV.

Local dimming can also be fully turned off as well if you wish....

This is incorrect. The only settings are high/standard/low. Unless you're referring to people accessing the service menu where upon they immediately void their warranty.

He will have had to compromise his camera exposure between the OLED and LCD TVs. I'd expect it's over exposing the LCDs slightly but under exposing the OLEDs.

At least that's how it'll look viewed in SDR. He hasn't quite got his HDR footage looking right yet and there are other YouTubers who have 4K HDR videos up which are far better calibrated and would appear to be more accurate. You do find that any LCD (with the interesting exception of the TCL 8 Series mini-LED, although that seemingly has a colour tint issue) looks quite washed out compared to any OLED, as you'd expect considering the difference in tech and contrast.

My Q90R is definitely capable of dark blacks but the contrast takes a major hit and blooming rears its head in Game Mode. The blooming can be quite strange in where it does and doesn't show. It's really inconsistent whether it'll not show, show a little, or look terrible from one situation to another within the same game.

im loving my Q90R ive come from a 65" LG OLED E7.
Both above sets have amazing PQ quality i watched the LG Oled demos that you see in retail stores via Youtube on the Q90R and it looks just as good as it does on a LG E9.

Postives of the Q90R when wall mounting its so flush against the wall compared to my LG
Alexa Voice Integration works well
75" screen size for a lot less than equivlent LG

Cons
I dont use the manufacturer controls i only use SKY Q remote and the Samsung / LG app on my mobile for controlling all the funky stuff but the LG app is more slick
Football you notice a little DSE
Samung Ads when you power on the TV does my head in.
Volume Level issue with Sky Q boxes on the samsung.

Last edited:
Black equalizer is not like gamma, and if you don't remove it, by default it's activated and in two out of five.

You can see in this video how it affects

and other one with game mode/film mode

And I know that it looks dark at 0, it's my mobile in person it looks good

My settings in game mode are light to 50, brightnees 0 contrast 50, color 25, sharpness to 2, game enhancer OFF, contrast intensifier OFF, attenuation HIGH, color Warm 1, gamma automatic , ST 2084 to 0, motion plus OFF black equalizer to 0.

Let's see if I can upload the videos I recorded with the 9T PRO that look amazing, but they are in my partner's cell phone, it's working now.

yes it's true, I have also noticed fortunately it's not annoying at least for me, but it happens

Experts have said it is just basically gamma with a different name to make it look like a new gaming feature. It's like Evil Boris the HDR expert showed with the camera mode settings in metro exodus. Exact same affect. I believe metro exodus HDR is still broken on Xbox? What colour space settings have you got btw?

The TCL6 series competition is the q70 not the q90.

Didn't think it was even available in the UK? Also didn't think the 8 series was confirmed for UK either? Therefore it's kind of daft suggesting it as an alternative choice
TCL 6 series isn't but mini led TCL is coming to the UK. And this forum has people from all over the world, it isn't just a UK site. So recommending it is valid.

He will have had to compromise his camera exposure between the OLED and LCD TVs. I'd expect it's over exposing the LCDs slightly but under exposing the OLEDs.

At least that's how it'll look viewed in SDR. He hasn't quite got his HDR footage looking right yet and there are other YouTubers who have 4K HDR videos up which are far better calibrated and would appear to be more accurate. You do find that any LCD (with the interesting exception of the TCL 8 Series mini-LED, although that seemingly has a colour tint issue) looks quite washed out compared to any OLED, as you'd expect considering the difference in tech and contrast.

My Q90R is definitely capable of dark blacks but the contrast takes a major hit and blooming rears its head in Game Mode. The blooming can be quite strange in where it does and doesn't show. It's really inconsistent whether it'll not show, show a little, or look terrible from one situation to another within the same game.
Vincent is working with Evil Boris and playing around with HLG HDR at the moment aren't they. I see Boris tweet about it. They are in the experimental stages of using HLG.

TCL 6 series isn't but mini led TCL is coming to the UK. And this forum has people from all over the world, it isn't just a UK site. So recommending it is valid.

I was referring to you recommending it to a fella trading in an oled for £1000 and getting a replacement , you suggested something not confirmed for the market he is in.

Here's an example of the inverse ghosting on the Q90R with 60fps HDR content in game mode, during dark scenes. Notice the edge of the pillar when panning to the right. I've filed a ticket with Samsung who requested the video but I fully expect them to tell me this is as expected. I hope they tune this in further updates (it's not there outside of game mode).

View attachment 1197354

Exactly the same issue on the Q85R

Morning everyone, I am about to purchase the 65" Q90R (I think) but have been going insane this weekend looking at these forums. I'm coming from a 55" Samsung JU7500 (Curved) and want some assurance I am going to notice a big upgrade.

I use the set for xbox gaming, currently playing Apex Legends, so low input lag is important. These latest posts about game mode issues are slightly concerning but I'm hopeful that this is for people watching very cinematic games and only under certain conditions. The reviews I've seen online seem to show this set performing well for most games.

I have a 5.1.2 Atmos setup so good movie quailty is important too. The lack of HDMI2.1 concerns me a little for future gaming consoles. I've been looking at the LG C9 as they're currently the same price. I don't think I can wall mount that TV as flush as this, the lack of one connect is annoying and burn-in is a worry.

Most of my periperals (Shield, Sky Q etc.) are connected through a Denon receiver. I'd love eARC to come out via a firmware update as discussed so I could make use of the Apple TV app and Atmos. It seem sthe C9 has just had the app released and Atmos is coming later in the year. Not a biggie though.

I guess I'm looking for reviews from the avergae user to tell me if this set is a good buy at £1900. Will it be a good upgrade over the JU7500? Will the gaming 'issues' be apparent when playing FPS games?

Game mode
Movie mode

Camera is as always....camera,for human eye it looks much better in reallity.

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_110121.jpg
    IMG_20200224_110121.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20200224_110151.jpg
    IMG_20200224_110151.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 255
Division 2 PC

Game mode ON and Off

Again...mobile camera is simply not good enafe to show proper picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_111924.jpg
    IMG_20200224_111924.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200224_111906.jpg
    IMG_20200224_111906.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel