Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't exactly answer that as I've not got this tv however I think the ports are all the same aside from the audio return one.

Just placed my order for the 65" at £2245 and is being delivered hopefully on friday. Just in time to watch the Japanese F1 in UHD, if the race happens...

Hi guys,

I just ordered a 75" Q90R for $5230 AUD (£2900) which is a pretty good price for this TV in Australia but still very expensive! It doesn't arrive for a few weeks yet, but I just started watching some youtube reviews and I'm starting to get a bit worried.

I bought it exclusively for gaming and in particular the extra wide viewing angles which are apparently pretty great for an LCD. One review though (HDTVtest) says that "sub pixel rendering" gets disabled in game mode, which supposedly along with the actual physical layer on the screen itself are what combine to give the TV its great viewing angles.

I was hoping that somebody could test the viewing angles both in and out of game mode to see how much it changes things and if this is indeed the case. I'd also appreciate any feedback on game mode in general, as a few other owner videos complain that black levels are also negatively affected in game mode.

Thanks.

I hope you really enjoy your new tv, I would say quoting exchange rate prices are meaningless though, plus, I think game mode disables the wide viewing angles purposefully to reduce the amount of interference from processing unnecessarily with gamers expected to use the tv whilst sitting directly in front of it.
Taken from a review below:
"As mentioned, the wide viewing angle system is active, which means that it can be deactivated. To do so you must switch to Game mode (which can be activated only for HDMI sources). In Game Mode, Samsung has deactivated the system - perhaps because the system introduces significant input lag because incoming signals must be analyzed - and this means that pixels are rendered 1:1. For gaming you tend to sit directly in front of the TV so here it is less of a concern."

Last edited:
Think I've solved my auto game mode issues, it seems the auto mode doesn't work on my Nintendo Switch. Infact, auto is entirely greyed out. However, as soon as I booted my PS4 auto mode enabled. I thought I'd seen auto enable for Switch but I guess I was mistaken.

UPDATE 1 - So the Nintendo Switch does support Auto Game Mode. However, it doesn't seem to be able to force it from a disabled state. To explain, auto game mode worked fine when the tv was new out of the box for both Nintendo Switch and PS4. When I was tinkering with the set-up I disabled game mode entirely. When I tried to re-enable auto game mode the option was greyed out and no amount of faffing would enable it. I could manually enable game mode but it relied on me disabling it again which was inconvenient.

The fix was to disable game mode and fire up my PS4. Auto game mode was re-enabled and then worked as expected for the Nintendo Switch.

UPDATE 2 - A week later I moved my AV Receiver from HDMI 1 to HDMI 4 to take advantage of the rumored gaming improvements and the auto game mode issue is back and the above fix doesn't work.

FINAL UPDATE - Got it working again but it seems like it could be a bug.
  • Power on and switch inputs to get your games console displayed on screen.
  • Disable game mode on the Q90R if not already.
  • Disconnect whatever HDMI cable your console is connect on/through from the OCB.
  • Move it to a different HDMI input on the OCB and select this input on the TV.
  • The console should be detected and auto game mode enabled.
  • Move the HDMI input back to your chosen OCB input (or leave where it is).
  • The same thing should happen (console detected and auto game mode enabled).
  • Test by switching console off/on and checking auto game mode switches with it. It works on HDMI 4 which I understand is preferable for gaming.

Last edited:
I hope you really enjoy your new tv, I would say quoting exchange rate prices are meaningless though, plus, I think game mode disables the wide viewing angles purposefully to reduce the amount of interference from processing unnecessarily with gamers expected to use the tv whilst sitting directly in front of it.
Taken from a review below:
"As mentioned, the wide viewing angle system is active, which means that it can be deactivated. To do so you must switch to Game mode (which can be activated only for HDMI sources). In Game Mode, Samsung has deactivated the system - perhaps because the system introduces significant input lag because incoming signals must be analyzed - and this means that pixels are rendered 1:1. For gaming you tend to sit directly in front of the TV so here it is less of a concern."

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately in my case my setup is quite spread out, and I tend to play a lot of local multiplayer and splitscreen games which involve people sitting at angles most of the time also. That's why I went for the bigger 75" and this TV in particular.

I'm starting to calm down a bit more now because it still seems a well reviewed TV otherwise. But if anyone could give it a live test I'd appreciate it. I'd like to find out if the wide viewing angle performance is completely affected in game mode (as in, reduced to a level typical of LCDs without any filter at all) or if it is ideally more nominal than that.

I understand that it's typical for certain TV features to be disabled or toned down in game mode, but it would be great if more manufacturers or reviewers specified stated exactly what these features were. Or maybe they do and I'm just mad at myself for not doing my research properly - the TV was just at such a great price, and I pounced on it.

On another note, a changelog of all firmware updates since release would be handy. Just so that while reading online I can know which issues have since been addressed. Current firmware version on the Samsung AU website is 1315.4. But then I suppose this won't be all that easy to find either, as there aren't any notes along with even this latest version whatsoever.

Is there any way to have a completely independent set of picture settings between two different HDMI input sources? I’m talking picture mode, values and motion settings?

There is a setting where it states, apply to all sources or just the one?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately in my case my setup is quite spread out, and I tend to play a lot of local multiplayer and splitscreen games which involve people sitting at angles most of the time also. That's why I went for the bigger 75" and this TV in particular.

I'm starting to calm down a bit more now because it still seems a well reviewed TV otherwise. But if anyone could give it a live test I'd appreciate it. I'd like to find out if the wide viewing angle performance is completely affected in game mode (as in, reduced to a level typical of LCDs without any filter at all) or if it is ideally more nominal than that.

I understand that it's typical for certain TV features to be disabled or toned down in game mode, but it would be great if more manufacturers or reviewers specified stated exactly what these features were. Or maybe they do and I'm just mad at myself for not doing my research properly - the TV was just at such a great price, and I pounced on it.

On another note, a changelog of all firmware updates since release would be handy. Just so that while reading online I can know which issues have since been addressed. Current firmware version on the Samsung AU website is 1315.4. But then I suppose this won't be all that easy to find either, as there aren't any notes along with even this latest version whatsoever.
You'll be lucky with any changelog, I don't think Samsung ever released any with firmware updates. Certainly I don't remember any even in the days of my M87.

On another note, my 65Q90R arrives tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I am working that morning but have the whole afternoon to play with setting it up...

There is a setting where it states, apply to all sources or just the one?

I can’t test until cables arrive, so I may well be wrong, but I suspect this doesn’t cover all settings rather only those controlled by the sliders such as sharpness etc..

I think you'll find you can apply settings to each input...

Yes it will be the input you are in, thus each input is configurable by going into each. I can do this with my JS9000. It's called apply to current source or all sources...

Last edited:
DSE question. I've had the 75Q90r a few weeks now. Unfortunately there is quite obvious DSE when watching football. Not at all visible when watching other content. Improved with the backlight reduced to high 20s and the contrast way down. Is it worth swapping the TV or do most suffer from this issue to some degree? A bit annoying having to box this all up again.

Yes, just done it myself.
My new TV is all setup and I using the settings from rtings at the moment however they need a bit of tweaking as the skin tones are a tad out...

Definitely too much red in people's faces, any suggestions?

Definitely too much red in people's faces, any suggestions?

Try Warm1 colour tone. Would also recommend looking at the standard picture mode over Movie as to my eyes contains more detail. Mind you some 1080i sources via Sky don't look great especially in darker scenes and not sure if it's an issue with the Q90r or the source / cameras struggling in low light.

Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it. I will try warm1 instead of warm 2 but not standard mode as it is too brightly harsh for my eyes especially in a darkened room. I have improved the skin tone by using more of rtings settings. Just a matter of fine tuning it really.
Thanks again...

I am not an owner ....yet. So I thought I would ask a couple of questions to those that already have this TV before I misunderstand something and have to look for workarounds after I buy it.

The dreaded lip-sync issue- Will this be fixed by me just plugging everything into my denon 3500 and just the one HDMI into the arc on the one connect box? By everything I mean the apple TV 4k that will be used for streaming everything.

I am installing 2 atmos speakers so apple TV seems the way to go. As it looks like it will allow me to get atmos on netflix, prime and the apple store content? Can just switch to the ATV from the built in apps for atmos content?

The network disconnect flashing up. Does it matter if it is hardwired or wireless for this? As I can do either. Does it actually disconnect you? Or just a software bug that flashes the message up? Is it just luck if you have this issue or has anyone pinned it down to something? As I am sure this would really annoy me after a while!

Even if the answers to the above are the right ones and I get the TV . I bet I will have an issue with something else :)

Cheers, Tony

I am on wireless and I haven't had the message come up. I think that's the way to go anyway as it's quicker, although it won't make your internet connection any faster...

I am not an owner ....yet. So I thought I would ask a couple of questions to those that already have this TV before I misunderstand something and have to look for workarounds after I buy it.

The dreaded lip-sync issue- Will this be fixed by me just plugging everything into my denon 3500 and just the one HDMI into the arc on the one connect box? By everything I mean the apple TV 4k that will be used for streaming everything.

I am installing 2 atmos speakers so apple TV seems the way to go. As it looks like it will allow me to get atmos on netflix, prime and the apple store content? Can just switch to the ATV from the built in apps for atmos content?

The network disconnect flashing up. Does it matter if it is hardwired or wireless for this? As I can do either. Does it actually disconnect you? Or just a software bug that flashes the message up? Is it just luck if you have this issue or has anyone pinned it down to something? As I am sure this would really annoy me after a while!

Even if the answers to the above are the right ones and I get the TV . I bet I will have an issue with something else :)

Cheers, Tony

I've not seen the lip sync issue. I have Virgin Media Tivo, Apple TV 4K and Xbox One connected straight to my receiver (Bose Lifestyle 650) and a HDMI lead from the receiver to HDMI 4 on the One Connect box (using HDMI 4 which has better specs than the other ports and purposely avoiding HDMI 3 ARC input) - no issues with lip sync there. The TV audio back to the receiver is optical - no issues with lip sync there in either the TV or its apps. I also have media player which is connected directly to the One Connect box and uses the TV optical audio - no lip sync issues there either.

The network connected message (sometimes comes up without first getting a network disconnected pop up) is driving me nuts! Just a software bug - the network isn't disconnected and it continues to stream Netflix throughout without any disconnection or buffering. The message is network "CABLE" connected/disconnected so I think it may just be a problem that affects wired connections which I prefer even though my TV is just a metre away from the router. I'll maybe begrudgingly switch the connection type to avoid hurling something at the screen when I see it next. To be fair it's a completely unnecessary pointless message, as even if the cable were disconnected, Netflix or whatever app I'm using would tell me so when I try to play something. Instead it'll pop up when I'm watching Virgin Media Tivo and don't need the network 🤬

Steep learning curve this for a technophobe like me! Can anyone please clarify
  • Should there be a popup when switching to HDR?
  • Is there a way of seeing the type of source signal?
  • Is there a preferred OCB HDMI input if using an AV amp connected to the TV via optical (ie no ARC)?
Thanks!

I have mine like that and having checked the manual HDMI 4 with Input Plus switched on supports modes that the other ports will not

I have input plus switched on with three inputs aside from 2. Not sure about hdmi 4 being different as the specs show them all to be the same aside from arc on one.

I have the settings all now to my satisfaction, stunning picture with sky f1 uhd qualifying...

I have input plus switched on with three inputs aside from 2. Not sure about hdmi 4 being different as the specs show them all to be the same aside from arc on one.

I have the settings all now to my satisfaction, stunning picture with sky f1 uhd qualifying...

I’m not too clued you on Color space etc but HDMI 4 definitely supports more. If you look in the manual there are some tables showing what is supported on each input 4:2:0, 4:4:4 etc and at what refresh rates. The tables are different for each model/size and dependant on whether input plus is active

They are all hdmi 2.0 with some 2.1 enhancements though, not sure if they are applicable to all inputs. I tend not to believe everything the manual states because they tend to be generic these days and have will always have errors within. I see no differences within the actual settings and no review I have read make any references to this, and some of those reviewers have a greater technical knowledge than me. If there is a difference I would like to see actual measurements supporting this, but not seen any yet. Of course I would be wrong and have no desire to turn this into an argument so if I am wrong all well and good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom