Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Powler29

Novice Member
Yes, it's only really noticeable with clear motion on. LED Clear Motion is Samsung's name for black-frame insertion aka backlight strobing. It's excellent for 60fps games and doesn't add any lag but with the expense of some flicker and loss of brightness.
I would personally turn off LED clear motion. It trashes gaming (in my opinion of course)

When I’m home from work I will check and see if my 65Q90r does this same thing with that setting on. (I’ve never used it)

SeeNoWeevil

I would personally turn off LED clear motion. It trashes gaming (in my opinion of course)

When I’m home from work I will check and see if my 65Q90r does this same thing with that setting on. (I’ve never used it)
Just to clarify, I see the issue in any 4K HDR content in game mode. LED Clear Motion just exacerbates it/makes it easier to see, as does 60fps.

Last edited:

SeeNoWeevil

With the tests I’ve done, it happens during 4K content with HDR off when Game Mode is on as well. The game I was testing with was Resident Evil 2 Remake with my PC directly connected. It stands out the most with that game, can get a solid 60fps all the way up to 4K, and can turn HDR on or off. It’s very disorienting, especially in darker areas because once the camera is moving everything gets that green ghosting until the camera stops. For me it renders the game unplayable at 4K. It won’t do it for any resolutions lower than 4K, or when it’s off of Game Mode... latency :(.... If I accidentally keep Game Mode on and watch 4K video content, I’ll notice the green ghosting around faces a couple minutes in.
This is going to become very frustrating. Exchanging the set is almost certainly going to be pointless and refunding is going to leave me without a TV and nothing else particularly I want to purchase! It might be worth submitting a ticket yourself also to increase the chances of a fix. Make sure to pre-empt their usual first line troubleshooting by including that you've tried different devices, cables, firmware update, factory reset etc. They'll probably ask for a quick video clip. Maybe use that YouTube test pattern?

@Phil Hinton any chance AVF still have the review unit to run a quick test for this? I can provide some repro steps if required. Thanks.

Last edited:

daz100

Standard Member
I have recently purchased this set but the lip sync issues are driving me mad.

I have a Denon 1912 AMP which I handles the Switch and Blu-Ray. It is when I connect the Virgin Media box to the one connect and then the one connect to the ARC on the AMP that I get problems. The apps on the TV appear to be in sync but the cable box is not.

Is there any solution to this? Could I run the optical cable from the one connect to the AMP or from the Cable box directly to the AMP? I have had the TV 3 days and am seriously considering sending it back.

LCR_Dave

Welcome to my world, I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s acceptable having this audio sync issue with anything connected to the connect box via hdmi.

I’ve currently run everything to my sound bar but I miss out the the tricks the tv automatically does.
Can’t enable Xbox VRR when hdmi is to the sound bar for example.

Seriously hope they have a firmware update to sort it.
I have a few days yet to back this but it’s looking likely

JanB

I have recently purchased this set but the lip sync issues are driving me mad.

I have a Denon 1912 AMP which I handles the Switch and Blu-Ray. It is when I connect the Virgin Media box to the one connect and then the one connect to the ARC on the AMP that I get problems. The apps on the TV appear to be in sync but the cable box is not.

Is there any solution to this? Could I run the optical cable from the one connect to the AMP or from the Cable box directly to the AMP? I have had the TV 3 days and am seriously considering sending it back.
Using the optical audio from the TV for Dolby Digital sound from the media box will not help. If you can have different delay settings in your amplifier it will work if you connect the media sound directly to the amp. Start with a delay about 45ms (and maybe adjust from there). As you say, the internal apps seems to be delayed correctly, using 0 delay in your amp.

Daz1000

Novice Member
Using the optical audio from the TV for Dolby Digital sound from the media box will not help. If you can have different delay settings in your amplifier it will work if you connect the media sound directly to the amp. Start with a delay about 45ms (and maybe adjust from there). As you say, the internal apps seems to be delayed correctly, using 0 delay in your amp.
I have connected the TiVo box directly to the amp. It seems to be more in sync already. I have a new problem though. I switch to the virgin media box and the tv automatically switches to the tv (arc) on my amp and I have to switch to the optical input. I then switch to say Netflix on the tv but it doesn’t automatically switch back to arc.

SeeNoWeevil

Spent the past week on and off wasting my time with the absolutely *dire* Samsung support over this issue with ghosting. I've arranged a replacement with John Lewis who were superb and also refunded the difference with the recent price drop. I fully expect the replacement to show the same issue. A friend has the same TV and I can see the same issue on his. Samsung suggested an engineer visit to check if the set is operating to spec which I'll do if (when) the new set shows the same issue.

JanB

You can’t delay it anymore it’s already delayed
Hi, If you are referring to the delay setting of 45ms I wrote in my last post, that is valid when audio is bypasing the TV and connected directly to the amplifier. At least this is the video delay I measured (without a specific tool) on my TV and seems to be in the ballpark of the actual video processing delay, using motion interpolation.

JanB

I have connected the TiVo box directly to the amp. It seems to be more in sync already. I have a new problem though. I switch to the virgin media box and the tv automatically switches to the tv (arc) on my amp and I have to switch to the optical input. I then switch to say Netflix on the tv but it doesn’t automatically switch back to arc.
So maybe time for the next work-around; a remote control with macro sequence capability. I use Logitech Harmony 650. It's only IR but works fine for me. The Q90R has IR receiver on the panel.

SeeNoWeevil

Have you guys raised a ticket with Samsung over the audio delay? I don't think it's ever going to get fixed without these reports.

Dasutin

Novice Member
Spent the past week on and off wasting my time with the absolutely *dire* Samsung support over this issue with ghosting. I've arranged a replacement with John Lewis who were superb and also refunded the difference with the recent price drop. I fully expect the replacement to show the same issue. A friend has the same TV and I can see the same issue on his. Samsung suggested an engineer visit to check if the set is operating to spec which I'll do if (when) the new set shows the same issue.
I’ll file a support ticket this weekend with Samsung as well.

SeeNoWeevil

I’ll file a support ticket this weekend with Samsung as well.
The engineer (contracted local) came out this morning and confirmed it was an issue. Not sure it matters though really until maybe he's asked to come out a second time to view a replacement with the same issue and Samsung finally take a hint that this might be an issue they need to work on via a firmware update. Phil Hinton kindly said he could run a test on AVFs Q90R review unit at some point which would be super helpful.

Powler29

Novice Member
Just to clarify, I see the issue in any 4K HDR content in game mode. LED Clear Motion just exacerbates it/makes it easier to see, as does 60fps.
Just want to update you and confirm that this is not an issue on my Q90r. Absolutely no signs of the same issue. Sorry to hear about your issue still, hopefully the replacement will be a good set.

SeeNoWeevil

Just want to update you and confirm that this is not an issue on my Q90r. Absolutely no signs of the same issue. Sorry to hear about your issue still, hopefully the replacement will be a good set.
Can I ask what type of content your were viewing, was it the test pattern video or some HDR game? Are you using Warm 2 mode? Thanks.

Powler29

Novice Member
Can I ask what type of content your were viewing, was it the test pattern video or some HDR game? Are you using Warm 2 mode? Thanks.
I was playing the PS4 pro on several different games. All hdr. (And yes I was using warm 2 also)
I tested it on borderlands 3, black ops 4, the last of us remastered and no issues were present on my set.

SeeNoWeevil

Set up the replacement Q90R tonight and it's identical.

Powler29

Novice Member
Set up the replacement Q90R tonight and it's identical.
Jeez! I hope it’s something they can sort! Not exactly a cheap tv to be having problems and faffing with. (I know the panel lottery can be a pain in the butt) I had 2 Samsung 2017 Q8C replacements over two years as they developed major faults with the screen

bodhi

Standard Member
Hi all. I'm on the verge of buying the 55" Q90R as I can get it for £1500 through a work discount. I'd be buying direct from Samsung. Given some of the issue being discussed here, would this be a mistake? My setup is relatively straightforward. Using a Dali Kubic One sound bar and audio is being passed to the TV via HDMI (Sky, Console, BluRay player) and then via optical out from the TV to the sound bar.

Had made up my mind to go for this set over the LG C9 but now a little nervous given reports of ghosting, lip synching issues and poor Samsung support!

garlandjon

Standard Member
Hi all. I'm on the verge of buying the 55" Q90R as I can get it for £1500 through a work discount. I'd be buying direct from Samsung. Given some of the issue being discussed here, would this be a mistake? My setup is relatively straightforward. Using a Dali Kubic One sound bar and audio is being passed to the TV via HDMI (Sky, Console, BluRay player) and then via optical out from the TV to the sound bar.

Had made up my mind to go for this set over the LG C9 but now a little nervous given reports of ghosting, lip synching issues and poor Samsung support!
I'd say you'll get Lip Sync issues, depends if you can feed sound directly into the soundbar which is what i've done. Will try to ring Samsung tomorrow to see what they say about them. Really annoying that all the 'professional reviews' haven't picked up on it...

JanB

I'd say you'll get Lip Sync issues, depends if you can feed sound directly into the soundbar which is what i've done. Will try to ring Samsung tomorrow to see what they say about them. Really annoying that all the 'professional reviews' haven't picked up on it...
The lip sync problem shows up on Dolby Digital and DTS sound that you connect via HDMI. Internal TV apps are not affected. You can work around it if you can connect external sound directly to your sound bar and use correct audio delay setting for those, and use 0ms delay for the (optical) audio from the TV. If you don't have enough inputs on the soundbar, remote controlled switches (optical or coax) are available. In any case, to have the switching between sources work smoothly I recommend a macro capable remote like Logitech Harmony. I use Harmony 650 (IR remote) but others have reported they use radio based models.

ray0414

question guys. are there any 82q90 European owners here? I have a major question.

I have reason to believe that the European version uses the 30x16grid with 4 LEDs per zone while the USA version uses an inferior 40x12 grid with only 3 LEDs per zone meaning it has 480 total less LEDs.

SeeNoWeevil

Opted for a refund in the end. The ghosting in some games was unbearable.

ptho

Novice Member
Thought I was finally decided on the Q90R and K950 soundbar but this thread has totally put me off! Some now reporting the out of this world offer can't be combined with student discount so back to the drawing board.

JB1970

Is there any fix for the "Network Cable Connected" message? I've had this three times today and it's beginning to p**s me off. I don't use the Samsung remote so I'm having to faff around to clear the message with multiple button presses on my Harmony. There is no issue with the network other than the popup message on the TV. The TV is directly connected to the switch with a short patch cable. I could use WiFi instead but I'd rather not.