Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Starfey

Standard Member
Hmm.. not sure then. Seems like you have tried everything I could think of. I don't have any issues with my Q90R and PS5 in game mode so it might be a faulty set. I agree with Mike, best next step is to contact Samsung and hopefully you will get a replacement or an upgrade.
Yes, I thank you all here for your help so far, I really appreciate that. My Email to the german Support is already on the way, now I wait for the first Response. In the german samsung forum customers said: first they will try to fix it with remote Service, after thatca Service Technican will come, maybe He will take the tv 2-3 Times into the repair Shop. If All these will not help, I will get my money back or get an New TV.

Damn, I really dont want a New TV, because the Q90r picture is awesome without issues. I dont even want a OLED, no. And the anti reflect foil is just epic. Im just sad, because this is my first expansive TV and now this... :(

Dirkdeeke

Standard Member
I am very pleased with the tv, i agree the anti reflective screen is epic. The only problems i have are the lack of earc and purple blacks on certain sky q hdr movies, watched man from uncle yesterday and that has the purple black problem. Raising the hlg gamma in settings..picture...expert settings to 3 seems to cure it for now.

Dirkdeeke

Standard Member
I am very pleased with the tv, i agree the anti reflective screen is epic. The only problems i have are the lack of earc and purple blacks on certain sky q hdr movies, watched man from uncle yesterday and that has the purple black problem. Raising the hlg gamma in settings..picture...expert settings to 3 seems to cure it for now.
With picture mode in standard

I still haven't taken the protective sticker off my screen yet. Is that weird ? Ha Ha

Finally got it mounted a few weeks ago and was leaving it on to avoid marks while mounting.

daygos

Novice Member
I’ve got the same issues with the blacks turning purple on Sky HDR films and programmes.. will give your Gamma solution a go… Cheers

JoshShep

I still haven't taken the protective sticker off my screen yet. Is that weird ? Ha Ha

Finally got it mounted a few weeks ago and was leaving it on to avoid marks while mounting.

Some people leave it on, the only trouble is it messes with the picture, and defeats the purpose of the anti reflective coating. I kept mine on for a day before it drove me insane lol.

Dirkdeeke

Standard Member
Here are my settings for hlg

Attachments

• 20210503_175446.jpg
    20210503_175446.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210503_175435.jpg
    20210503_175435.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210503_175422.jpg
    20210503_175422.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210503_175549.jpg
    20210503_175549.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210503_175530.jpg
    20210503_175530.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210503_175500.jpg
    20210503_175500.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 121

Dirkdeeke

Standard Member
I'd turn the sharpness down a bit mate, 3 Max imo.
10 is fine for us. We sit around 10ft away from the tv and we are getting on in years so our eyesight isn't what it used to be. Everyone's situation is different . Not everyone sits the ideal distance away from the tv nor has everyone got the same ideal conditions in their room. I guess we aren't supposed to be using standard picture mode either ;) just trying to help out the person with purple shades in ther blacks. :)

JoshShep

10 is fine for us. We sit around 10ft away from the tv and we are getting on in years so our eyesight isn't what it used to be. Everyone's situation is different . Not everyone sits the ideal distance away from the tv nor has everyone got the same ideal conditions in their room. I guess we aren't supposed to be using standard picture mode either ;) just trying to help out the person with purple shades in ther blacks. :)
Fair enough, I'm only trying to help, but your right everyone's conditions are different and we all have personal preference in regards to picture settings.

daygos

Novice Member
Fair enough, I'm only trying to help, but your right everyone's conditions are different and we all have personal preference in regards to picture settings.
Still wonder why this is just Sky HDR programme issues and not on Netflix or Prime App broadcasts? Discovery of Witches was really bad in darker scenes with purples…

Mike15111984

We have sharpness at 10 for sky q, just about gets it up to bluray standard, 0 for 4k blurays. 👍
I can't imagine sharpness at 10 improving any image regardless of the source lol, each to their own though, if its good for you then all good, the amount of artifacts created by a very high sharpness would drive me crazy lol.

Mike15111984

So does anyone think the rumoured May update will actually include the elusive eARC feature? Anyone got any new info on it?

Chazzler

Standard Member
So does anyone think the rumoured May update will actually include the elusive eARC feature? Anyone got any new info on it?
Judging by the people over on the German forums the newest update doesn't include anything/ fix any of the current earc or lpcm issues in Newer models......I was a believer that Samsung would do something for us q90r owners....now I'm thinking it was all smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately this situation may have just pushed me to LG or maybe even Sony for my next TV who knows.

Mike15111984

Judging by the people over on the German forums the newest update doesn't include anything/ fix any of the current earc or lpcm issues in Newer models......I was a believer that Samsung would do something for us q90r owners....now I'm thinking it was all smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately this situation may have just pushed me to LG or maybe even Sony for my next TV who knows.

Hmm, yeah i remember something a fair few weeks ago highlighting a May update but eARC was not part of the notes. Tbh I'm not surprised, shame as it would be a nice feature but it does seem Samsung litrally don't care after you buy the tv, the money we spend you'd think they would keep the tv relevant for at least a few years after release but it appears not. Other manufacturers manage to do it to older tv's.

Chazzler

Standard Member
Hmm, yeah i remember something a fair few weeks ago highlighting a May update but eARC was not part of the notes. Tbh I'm not surprised, shame as it would be a nice feature but it does seem Samsung litrally don't care after you buy the tv, the money we spend you'd think they would keep the tv relevant for at least a few years after release but it appears not. Other manufacturers manage to do it to older tv's.
I agree mate it's a shame £3k on a flagship and the TV is missing some fairly easy to implement updates/fixes but who knows we may just get lucky and they sneak it in there ..doubtful ,But hey you win some you lose some. I'm sure all the attention LG and the new Sony oleds are getting right now might just force Samsung to up there game a little and actually care about there customer base. Given LG seem to listen to reviews and customer feedback and fixes are applied relatively quick that might be the way for people looking for longevity from a new TV.

JoshShep

Still wonder why this is just Sky HDR programme issues and not on Netflix or Prime App broadcasts? Discovery of Witches was really bad in darker scenes with purples…

I can't really answer that sorry, I don't use Sky. l only use Netflix and Prime for HDR, I think because Sky has only recently introduced HDR it will most likely a problem their aware of and will be fixed via updates.

cuke2u

Sky do use HLG, whereas Netflix and Prime use HRD10, however i can't say I have seen any 'purple' in Sky broadcasts...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021