Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

raf77

We talking about PS4 (game console), not about Blu-ray player, that why I mistakenly thought about games or apps.

Mike15111984

We talking about PS4 (game console), not about Blu-ray player, that why I mistakenly thought about games or apps.
Yeah, the fact i said ps4 i thought that might clear up that it was referring to a games console as was not aware of ps4 blu ray player.

cuke2u

I'm not sure mate, aparrantley some say earc has been promised numerous times and it has failed to materialise with delays etc. I read someone saying its to push people towards the 2020 sets instead as some of these have it i think. Who knows. Makes no sense to me to update a few of the 2019 soundbars but not the tv's to go with it.
I don't think it has been promised several times at all, just a reference to it in a video earlier this year where the word promise wasn't used by a Samsung representative, I would need to watch it again though. The problem with forums is that when one person posts claiming something was promised it gets taken out out of proportion and suddenly Samsung are misquoted...

Draceus

I don't think it has been promised several times at all, just a reference to it in a video earlier this year where the word promise wasn't used by a Samsung representative, I would need to watch it again though. The problem with forums is that when one person posts claiming something was promised it gets taken out out of proportion and suddenly Samsung are misquoted...
It was not promised as in he said "We promise its coming" but if I don't remember wrong he said it was coming and that's as good as promising it will come.

Ashtyr

In a podcast on this forum, the senior product of Samsung Europe was asked directly about that question, and said if they were going to put Earc. You can find the video on the YouTube channel.

I put it on a long time ago.

Mike15111984

I am pretty gutted they did not include earc in the recent update. Saying that it still does not make me regret getting my tv, when i bought this it was to replace my faulty Q85R (price was same at the time). I also looked at the x950g from Sony, after seeing that i feel the Q90R is better overall. So i cant complain too much, just would of been nice to use the features of xbox one s which i can only use using earc without sacrificing audio quality. Still think its a very good tv and still blows me away playing games in hdr, hdr films are good but hit and miss for me.

Inverary74

Standard Member
So if I do try to use a sonos arc with this tv and an external device will I get a surround sound effect or will it just put out stereo?

Ashtyr

7,15 time

Not that video, I'm talking about a podcast with the Avforums people, I think it was in June or May, the update for the soundbars had already come out and they asked specifically about the update for the 2019 TVs and he said yes he was going to get out!!

EDIT this one

1:21:10

Morve

They should just replace your TV at this point along with an apology.
They have offered me an exchange for the Q95T, hope this one is problem free :thumbsup:

greatcapp

Could anyone offer me any advice to improve judder on my Q90 65" with some apps whilst using an AppleTV?
I am struggling with NBC Sports app. Whilst most apps I use for watching football (soccer) work fine - BT Sports, Optus Sports, BBC iPlayer - The NBC Sports app is really juddery. I have tried the settings that I thought might help - SETTINGS/PICTURE/EXPERT SETTINGS/AUTO MOTION PLUS SETTINGS - in here, i've tried every option possible, but nothing seems to help. I can use the same AppleTV plugged into a BenQ 4k screen, and the same app plays perfectly, so I'm assuming it must be the TV? (It also worked perfectly on my previous LG OLED). Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

daryld1988

They have offered me an exchange for the Q95T, hope this one is problem free :thumbsup:
just be careful with that option as there is no q90r equal in the 2020 4k lineup this year of the tvs and it is inferior to the q90r in a few areas the plus side of it is you will be getting hdmi 2.1 and earc but just something to bear in mind

Mike15111984

just be careful with that option as there is no q90r equal in the 2020 4k lineup this year of the tvs and it is inferior to the q90r in a few areas the plus side of it is you will be getting hdmi 2.1 and earc but just something to bear in mind
Did they also get hgig support and filmmaker mode updates?

daryld1988

Did they also get hgig support and filmmaker mode updates?
Yea 2020 models got them 2 additions also general verdict seems to be that q95t is the better option if your buying tv with gaming in mind but from a movie and tv showing viewpoint the q90r is the better option as hgig is a new standard to help with hdr in games but the filmmaker mode is more just to achieve as close a picture to how movie directors had in mind interms of colours but this could be achieved with a correctly calibrated q90r also

Mike15111984

Yea 2020 models got them 2 additions also general verdict seems to be that q95t is the better option if your buying tv with gaming in mind but from a movie and tv showing viewpoint the q90r is the better option as hgig is a new standard to help with hdr in games but the filmmaker mode is more just to achieve as close a picture to how movie directors had in mind interms of colours but this could be achieved with a correctly calibrated q90r also
Wish the Q90R would get all three of them, eRAC, filmmaker and hgig support, i still prefer the Q90R to the Q95T but would be nice not to be left behind as its only a year old, if it were a few years old id understand them not adding features.

daryld1988

Wish the Q90R would get all three of them, eRAC, filmmaker and hgig support, i still prefer the Q90R to the Q95T but would be nice not to be left behind as its only a year old, if it were a few years old id understand them not adding features.
Completely agree mate something that could be added quite easily too is the sad thing, hopefully they are holding off on releases simply to maximise sales of the newer models and then allow the updates to trickle down to the older models

Mike15111984

Completely agree mate something that could be added quite easily too is the sad thing, hopefully they are holding off on releases simply to maximise sales of the newer models and then allow the updates to trickle down to the older models
Let's hope so, i would not mind if it were a low to mid tv but a flagship tv surely should be kept relevant for at least a year. Fingers crossed it happens at some point.

Morve

Cheers mate, yeah i did see that, unfortunately they have no more Q90r's, the only thing that really bothers me on paper, is it has less dimming zones and the 95T is a 8+2 bit vs 10bit on the Q90r, but according to all the reviews i've read it makes hardly any difference, the 95T special sauce algorithm's seem to do a good job and to be honest i'd doubt i would notice, the HDR seems to be a little punchier on the Q95T probably the extra 300 nits has something to do with it. what i dont understand tho is why only one port supports 4K/120Hz 10-bit 4:4:4, and not all of them like the LG CX

daryld1988

Cheers mate, yeah i did see that, unfortunately they have no more Q90r's, the only thing that really bothers me on paper, is it has less dimming zones and the 95T is a 8+2 bit vs 10bit on the Q90r, but according to all the reviews i've read it makes hardly any difference, the 95T special sauce algorithm's seem to do a good job and to be honest i'd doubt i would notice, the HDR seems to be a little punchier on the Q95T probably the extra 300 nits has something to do with it. what i dont understand tho is why only one port supports 4K/120Hz 10-bit 4:4:4, and not all of them like the LG CX
iv heard the algorithm is much improved this time around its just a dissapointment that samsung has taken the approach to add certain features while nerfing other features, same happened from q9fn to q90r though so i shouldnt be that surprised, you will still be getting a fantastic set regardless mate and atleast you know you are future proofed for a while also and yea feels like samsung has cheaped out with only offering the 1 hdmi 2.1 port

JoshShep

Call me stupid, but I'm struggling to update the TV using the USB update. It's not recognising anything when plugged in, I updated the last firmware with the same process. Extracting the files etc. Using a FAT32 formatted stick. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind I sorted it. I had the two folders on the stick zipped and unzipped. All sorted now. TV seems snappier and not had the network disconnection message yet. So hopefully that's fixed it.

Last edited:

cuke2u

That's good if the network disconnected pop up has been fixed. Not had this myself but a number of frustrated owners have.
Still waiting on a changelog...

Ashtyr

That's good if the network disconnected pop up has been fixed. Not had this myself but a number of frustrated owners have.
Still waiting on a changelog...
Here people from the telegram group who had that problem, since they updated they have not gotten the message of lost connection, so it seems that they have fixed it.

Seeing how long they have taken to fix it, I hope the update of Earc for 2022

JoshShep

Here people from the telegram group who had that problem, since they updated they have not gotten the message of lost connection, so it seems that they have fixed it.

Seeing how long they have taken to fix it, I hope the update of Earc for 2022
Any chance you can link me to the telegram group please?

Mike15111984

Does anyone know if the motion flow options in game mode has been changed? Pretty sure it acted like the motion settings in movie mode but while playing metro exodus i increased it to max and it didn't change all that much (it did change but not a great deal), when checking in movie mode it was night and day difference. I never have it on full, usually set custom 0 - 0 but noticed it didn't seem to do a great deal when i increased it.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett