Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, sorry misinterpreted what you were stating. I didn't know the xbox one did earc at all. How can I test this with my xbox please...
Tbh, I'm not sure if xbox itself does earc, i just thought thats how it worked, at the mo i have my ps4 and xbox both going into my av receiver, and the av connected via hdmi 3 to the one connect box. Apps such as netflix/prime i can get atmos by selecting dolbydigital+. If i plug ps4 or xbox straight to one connect they both lose the atmos sound (i assume due to ARC limit). I thought eARC would cure this so i could have all devices into the one connect box without losing dolby atmos plus on xbox, get back some of the features like vrr etc.

No HGIG or eArc sadly. I can not see anything that has changed

Just updated mine to the latest firmware and head movments were stuttering like mad. Did a hard power off at the mains cured it. For those who have turned off auto updates, it'll still try to do it anyway..

Tbh, I'm not sure if xbox itself does earc, i just thought thats how it worked, at the mo i have my ps4 and xbox both going into my av receiver, and the av connected via hdmi 3 to the one connect box. Apps such as netflix/prime i can get atmos by selecting dolbydigital+. If i plug ps4 or xbox straight to one connect they both lose the atmos sound (i assume due to ARC limit). I thought eARC would cure this so i could have all devices into the one connect box without losing dolby atmos plus on xbox, get back some of the features like vrr etc.
You should distinguish between Atmos sound in DD+ format and Atmos sound in TrueHD format. DD+ can be transported in the "reverse direction" in HDMI through the ARC channel, but TrueHD has higher bitrate than ARC can handle. That's is what eARC is supposed to solve.
In the "forward direction" in HDMI the audio channel already has enough bit rate for TrueHD and similar sound formats. When you connect a video+audio source directly to an AVR or Soundbar the audio is transmitted in the "forward direction". No return channel is used.

You should distinguish between Atmos sound in DD+ format and Atmos sound in TrueHD format. DD+ can be transported in the "reverse direction" in HDMI through the ARC channel, but TrueHD has higher bitrate than ARC can handle. That's is what eARC is supposed to solve.
In the "forward direction" in HDMI the audio channel already has enough bit rate for TrueHD and similar sound formats. When you connect a video+audio source directly to an AVR or Soundbar the audio is transmitted in the "forward direction". No return channel is used.
Tbh I'm not sure how all that works, forwards, backwards etc, just a sound format name to me, all i know is without earc i can't use atmos sound for my ps4 and xbox one s with them connected via the one connect box and i would prefer this as that way i can use the vrr & allm feature etc. Also having a nice xbox and ps symbol on the tv's menu would be nice too 👍 but i dont want to give up the atmos audio (DD+ or TrueHD) so they are stsying in my av receiver. Unless im wrong and if this can be done, please let me know if this is the case.

Last edited:
Tbh I'm not sure how all that works, forwards, backwards etc, just a sound format name to me, all i know is without earc i can't use atmos sound for my ps4 and xbox one s with them connected via the one connect box and i would prefer this as that way i can use the vrr & allm feature etc. Also having a nice xbox and ps symbol on the tv's menu would be nice too 👍 but i dont want to give up the atmos audio (DD+ or TrueHD) so they are stsying in my av receiver. Unless im wrong and if this can be done, please let me know if this is the case.

Xbox one X uses neither mate, signal is sent via Dolby MAT (multichannel PCM with Atmos metadata). Yep you need EARC :smashin:

Hi folks I am seeing various different responses on the internet so thought I would ask here for clarity. I have a 75" q90r and was thinking of getting Sonos arc. Can the q90 pass DD+ Atmos (lossy) from its apps and also from devices such as shield or Apple TV via the hdmi arc or is this TV a complete lemon.

JanB explained you everything. If you not understand then is bad to you.
Btw.
PS4, don't support for Dolby atmos at all.

Hi folks I am seeing various different responses on the internet so thought I would ask here for clarity. I have a 75" q90r and was thinking of getting Sonos arc. Can the q90 pass DD+ Atmos (lossy) from its apps and also from devices such as shield or Apple TV via the hdmi arc or is this TV a complete lemon.
From apps,. yes.
From external sources, no.

JanB explained you everything. If you not understand then is bad to you.
Btw.
PS4, don't support for Dolby atmos at all.
I don't care if i don't understand or not, when i say support i just mean that if you watch a film on ps4 i get atmos, if i plug my ps4 direct to one connect box i don't get atmos. Simple. Sorry i don't know all the technical info on atmos support and how it works blah blah

You wouldn't get atmos for PS4.

I used Atmos from Netflix and Amazon prime. Not sure about others apps.

I used Atmos from Netflix and Amazon prime. Not sure about others apps.
Seems like the TV is not fit for purpose if it cannot pass through a standard it is supposed to support

You wouldn't get atmos for PS4.
20201017_094607.jpg

20201017_094454.jpg

20201017_094458.jpg

This is all i meant, if in the one connect box i dont get that on av receiver. Im not technically minded like your good self obviously so forgive me if i dont know everything about this topic.

So is this Atmos or not? Its a blu ray film, playing on ps4, i selected atmos from the film audio settings and it says atmos on my amp.

Last edited:
I have an Xbox series x in the way does anyone know if the TV could pass DD+ from it?

Is it possible Samsung are deliberately withholding earc from the TV's to push people into buying their soundbar's?

Is it possible Samsung are deliberately withholding earc from the TV's to push people into buying their soundbar's?
I'm not sure mate, aparrantley some say earc has been promised numerous times and it has failed to materialise with delays etc. I read someone saying its to push people towards the 2020 sets instead as some of these have it i think. Who knows. Makes no sense to me to update a few of the 2019 soundbars but not the tv's to go with it.

View attachment 1383017

View attachment 1383019

View attachment 1383020

This is all i meant, if in the one connect box i dont get that on av receiver. Im not technically minded like your good self obviously so forgive me if i dont know everything about this topic.

So is this Atmos or not? Its a blu ray film, playing on ps4, i selected atmos from the film audio settings and it says atmos on my amp.
Yes. It is atmos.
I meant ps4 apps and games, not support Dolby Atmos.

To get atmos on Blu-ray discs thrue TV set, you need eArc.

Yes. It is atmos.
I meant ps4 apps and games, not support Dolby Atmos.

To get atmos on Blu-ray discs thrue TV set, you need eArc.
Well I'm sorry you not understand my posts but i did not mention apps or games, read my previous posts, i said films.

For that purpose, need eArc.

We talking about PS4 (game console), not about Blu-ray player, that why I mistakenly thought about games or apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom