Samsung Q90R (QE65Q90R) QLED TV Review & Comments

For a TV in 2019 at that price with no HDMI 2.1 or Dolby Vision, is not good enough. And with Apple TV airplay functionality, such a big selection of movies with Dolby Vision available via Apple that you can't benefit from.

Thanks again Mr Hinton,as you say a tad too expensive will look when prices drop,my Panasonic Plasma is still going strong.

"The technology, which uses a technique similar to that used by Sony in their ZF9 LCD TV, focuses the LEDs in the backlight more precisely"
Isn't this is exactly what is missing on the ZF9 and will be brought back with ZG9 (aka the Backlight Master Drive).

There is a video on you tube showing the severe blooming in game mode , was this noticed during the review.
I've watched that video, no need to post it here. The local dimming does change the algorithm in the game mode so it doesn't interfere with lag time and performance. This could result in an image on a logo like that shown in the video. However, I haven't personally seen any issues with actual gameplay. I still have the Q90R and will have for a few months for continued testing and comparisons in reviews, so when I get the chance I'll have a closer look at it. As always treat reviews, professional and amateur, as guides only and try and see things for yourself.

For a TV in 2019 at that price with no HDMI 2.1 or Dolby Vision, is not good enough. And with Apple TV airplay functionality, such a big selection of movies with Dolby Vision available via Apple that you can't benefit from.
To be fair, the only HDMI 2.1 feature not here is eARC, all other features are for 8K screens and above. The Q90R (and most Samsung sets) offer everything else that HDMI 2.1 can do. It would be nice if Samsung could add eARC, but I'm not sure that is possible with current SOC.
As for Dolby Vision, I totally agree and it would give the consumer choice.

Thank you for an excellent review.At present I am looking for a 75" LED TV in my home cinema room to replace my Panasonic TX902B.
The ability to watch the TV at an angle is of no concern and I have no interest in gaming.We normally view in the evenings in virtually "bat cave" lighting.
I have been offered a new, boxed 75" Q9 with a five year guarantee for £2695.
In your opinion based on the above would the Q900r still be a better buy.
I should add that we do watch a great deal of HD TV channels through our Virgin Media alongwith low quality standard definition channels like PBS America and Talking Pictures so the upscaling performance is important.
Thank you for your time

Thank you for an excellent review.At present I am looking for a 75" LED TV in my home cinema room to replace my Panasonic TX902B.
The ability to watch the TV at an angle is of no concern and I have no interest in gaming.We normally view in the evenings in virtually "bat cave" lighting.
I should add that we do watch a great deal of HD TV channels through our Virgin Media alongwith low quality standard definition channels like PBS America and Talking Pictures so the upscaling performance is important.
Thank you for your time

I think the ultra wide viewing angle tech is important even for straight on watching, on a 2 seater sofa you still get wash out in the corners of a modern LCD, you should know that with a 902, it's one of the worst I've seen! I found it really annoying tbh.

I think the ultra wide viewing angle tech is important even for straight on watching, on a 2 seater sofa you still get wash out in the corners of a modern LCD, you should know that with a 902, it's one of the worst I've seen! I found it really annoying tbh.

I don't get the viewing angle fuss at all - and I have a 58" DX902 also. Maybe it's a distance thing, I sit just over 3m from the screen and have never had an issue. Closest seat is 1.5m from the nearest edge of screen at maybe 45' angle and I can see a slight fade to the far side but not something that would bug me in the slightest.

As for this Sammy, I do really like the design but I feel that if my telly failed today I'd be much happier to get the Q9FN for a lower price than this. It's just doesn't justify the additional cost - then again, I'd never buy any years model of TV before the Black Friday price drop.

I don't get the viewing angle fuss at all - and I have a 58" DX902 also. Maybe it's a distance thing, I sit just over 3m from the screen and have never had an issue. Closest seat is 1.5m from the nearest edge of screen at maybe 45' angle and I can see a slight fade to the far side but not something that would bug me in the slightest.

As for this Sammy, I do really like the design but I feel that if my telly failed today I'd be much happier to get the Q9FN for a lower price than this. It's just doesn't justify the additional cost - then again, I'd never buy any years model of TV before the Black Friday price drop.

I guess mileage will vary depending on distance, but still having that taken out of the equation has to be a good thing.

No Dolby Vision is a deal breaker for me.

Excellent review, probably the best AV Froums review of a TV and better than others on Youtube of the same set.

Samsung is not jumping on OLED bandwagon so steadfast on refining the LCD tech as much as possible to get every once of juice but Blooming, DSE and missing stars on Sci-fi movies can't be resolved, due to limitation of the FALD system on LCD, Samsung calls it QLED, lol:D
Sony wisely left the high end 4K LCD market after its legendary ZD9, leaving Samsung to come up with high end LCD set.

Can't see many Q90R sets sold with no DV and more expensive than rival OLED models, though excellent daytime/Bright room TV that would absorb lights.

Phill, does HDR+ pop up when you watch Amazon Prime, to confirm you're watching that format?

Excellent detailed review. Good to see that Samsung have noticeably improved the viewing angle on their VA sets (or their high-end ones at least). It will be interesting to see how the slightly less expensive Q85R and Q80R stack up against this.

Thanks for an excellent review, well worth the wait. I have two questions regarding the AI upscaling.

1. Can it be turned off in movie mode? I notice in the settings menu you can turn on/off intelligent mode without selecting any of the other settings for adaptive brightness etc.

2. If it can be turned off, do recommend it being turned off? I watch mostly high quality 1080p. You mentioned something in the podcast about AI upscaling being too aggressive in some cases.

Keep up the good work!

/Johan from Sweden

Thank you for your time

Nice it is not just me watching the "Talking Pictures" channel

The biggest draw back of the Q90R Is pricing, would have bought one if Samsung did not abide by the usual rip of The British .. cheaper in $ than £ is not on, if they had launched at £3299 65 inch that would have been more sensible and fair.

Just i have a AF9 and being straight down the middle there is not a big miss in the lack of DV, HDR10 is great and purchases on Itunes will get HDR10 rather than DV.

Thanks Mr Hinton, but UK will not get the 82-inch QE82Q90R?

Last edited:
Best in Class badge, nice compromise.
No DTS also would seem to be a mad thing to miss out on along with Atmos.
Did you notice any micro stutter on 50Hz broadcasts @Phil Hinton?
Going by the pricing, this is certainly looking like playing the rather long game for consumers to get a reasonable price but by then OLEDs will be further cheaper again too.

Best in Class badge, nice compromise.
No DTS also would seem to be a mad thing to miss out on along with Atmos.
Did you notice any micro stutter on 50Hz broadcasts @Phil Hinton?
Going by the pricing, this is certainly looking like playing the rather long game for consumers to get a reasonable price but by then OLEDs will be further cheaper again too.
No real opposition so Best in Class means B All.

@Phil Hinton

The level of detail testing, information, and production values displayed in the video review set, I believe, a new benchmark, and one for other review sites to aspire to, so credit to you you Phil and avforums!

Loved how on occasions you displayed a summary panel that neatly and clearly captured what you had been speaking about. Colour coding positives in green and negatives in red.

This standard of presentation takes a lot of thought and time to get right, so again, credit to you Phil and avforums...

Great review Phil. I also really like the format of this review with a long detailed video compared to the usual written reviews with only a short 5 or so minute video. I believe this format would be much more interesting and makes the reviews more likely to be seen doing them this way. Plus you just get a better look at everything. I hope future reviews are done in the same format.

I've watched that video, no need to post it here. The local dimming does change the algorithm in the game mode so it doesn't interfere with lag time and performance. This could result in an image on a logo like that shown in the video. However, I haven't personally seen any issues with actual gameplay. I still have the Q90R and will have for a few months for continued testing and comparisons in reviews, so when I get the chance I'll have a closer look at it. As always treat reviews, professional and amateur, as guides only and try and see things for yourself.
What is your YouTube channel?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom