Samsung Q900R (QE65Q900R) 8K QLED Review & Comments

Theres not really a correct viewing distance as you sit where its ideal for your environment. Going up 10 inches increases the surface area pretty dramatically and going up 20 inches even more so and you notice a pretty big difference between HD and 4K. If only everything was in 4K :D. Well at least till 8K. As fun as the inbuilt 8K shop demo is, its not that exciting after you watch it once lol.

Did Samsung give any idea when this new firmware was supposed to be available Phil? Can you sneak me a copy? ;) lol

I returned my 75Q900. It had an audible fan in the TV housing. It can’t do sRGB with full Chroma 4:4:4 in any mode and PC mode is shit with over saturated colors du to the Color Space being locked to Native. Also HDR is dimmer in PC mode. Then in game mode there is more blooming and less deep blacks compared to movie mode. Also the TV’s backlight is locked to 120Hz in all modes but movie, this will result in image duplication in any material with framerates below 120fps. 60 and 30 are not too pretty, I will say it’s clearly better than Q9FN though. It’s most readily seen when playing games and paning the camera, especially in games that has no motionblur. Also you get doubble mouse pointers in windows. Simply put, this TV is a poor choice for a large monitor. While it has amazingly low input lag it still produces a worse image in motion than my ZF9.

I returned my 75Q900. It had an audible fan in the TV housing. It can’t do sRGB with full Chroma 4:4:4 in any mode and PC mode is sh*t with over saturated colors du to the Color Space being locked to Native. Also HDR is dimmer in PC mode. Then in game mode there is more blooming and less deep blacks compared to movie mode. Also the TV’s backlight is locked to 120Hz in all modes but movie, this will result in image duplication in any material with framerates below 120fps. 60 and 30 are not too pretty, I will say it’s clearly better than Q9FN though. It’s most readily seen when playing games and paning the camera, especially in games that has no motionblur. Also you get doubble mouse pointers in windows. Simply put, this TV is a poor choice for a large monitor. While it has amazingly low input lag it still produces a worse image in motion than my ZF9.
Apart from that, you loved it.:D

Apart from that, you loved it.:D
Yes, so much so I returned it. But jokes aside Samsung does some things really well it's just sad they can't get their things in order and do these things right.

I returned my 75Q900. It had an audible fan in the TV housing. It can’t do sRGB with full Chroma 4:4:4 in any mode and PC mode is sh*t with over saturated colors du to the Color Space being locked to Native. Also HDR is dimmer in PC mode. Then in game mode there is more blooming and less deep blacks compared to movie mode. Also the TV’s backlight is locked to 120Hz in all modes but movie, this will result in image duplication in any material with framerates below 120fps. 60 and 30 are not too pretty, I will say it’s clearly better than Q9FN though. It’s most readily seen when playing games and paning the camera, especially in games that has no motionblur. Also you get doubble mouse pointers in windows. Simply put, this TV is a poor choice for a large monitor. While it has amazingly low input lag it still produces a worse image in motion than my ZF9.

lol :rotfl::rotfl: I don't mean to laugh but I think iv read this post so many times from every website and thread iv been to about this tv and even the youtube comments section I could probably quote this comment from memory now :D

lol :rotfl::rotfl: I don't mean to laugh but I think iv read this post so many times from every website and thread iv been to about this tv and even the youtube comments section I could probably quote this comment from memory now :D
I wonder if he thinks the same on avs/flatpanels/:)here!

Just trying to spread the word in hopes Samsung picks up on it and improves in the future :)

Yeah any improvement is always good. I wonder if there will be any changes when they go to the hdmi 2.1 connect box.

'Is 8K the future' as Phil was asking in his title, the answer. Probably In Ten year's time, not for next five years, where 4K will become more common. Samsung could have easily market this TV as a 4K set, but then it will rival its own high end 4K set FN model.

So they came up with 8K resolution, and jacked up the price, and giving customers a blown up 8K resolution of HD, SD and 4K contents. How can you add extra detail, when the original content it wasn't there. It's AI could only 'guess' the extra detail. Much better to have native content displaying in their proper resolution. Manufactures are failing to implement any real tech breakthrough in TV sets, so each year they come with gimmicks to sell their sets, otherwise public won't buy them.

'Is 8K the future' as Phil was asking in his title, the answer. Probably In Ten year's time, not for next five years, where 4K will become more common. Samsung could have easily market this TV as a 4K set, but then it will rival its own high end 4K set FN model.

So they came up with 8K resolution, and jacked up the price, and giving customers a blown up 8K resolution of HD, SD and 4K contents. How can you add extra detail, when the original content it wasn't there. It's AI could only 'guess' the extra detail. Much better to have native content displaying in their proper resolution. Manufactures are failing to implement any real tech breakthrough in TV sets, so each year they come with gimmicks to sell their sets, otherwise public won't buy them.
While it's true what you are saying, it a chicken or the egg problem anyways. If there are displays then content can come. Also there is an industry road map since long that leads up to 8K and now NHK Japan are starting it's 8K broad casts. Displays will probably keep growing in size. I've had several projectors with a screen size of over 100" and I sit so close to my 75" that when I had the Q900, 8K honestly makes a difference in sharpness.

While it's true what you are saying, it a chicken or the egg problem anyways. If there are displays then content can come. Also there is an industry road map since long that leads up to 8K and now NHK Japan are starting it's 8K broad casts. Displays will probably keep growing in size. I've had several projectors with a screen size of over 100" and I sit so close to my 75" that when I had the Q900, 8K honestly makes a difference in sharpness.
Honestly think you are both right
You need the Ferrari/F1 and keep pushing the boundaries
However, you can’t stop wondering what this processing could do with a native 4k tv when handling HD and lesser...must be a dream in any size up to 75.

8k will come but I would have preferred like many here that industry focused first on sorting basics (panel uniformity, hdr, better motion, hfr, better sounds, HD and 4k streaming for normal channels,..).

So, very glad we are pushing the boat like formula one but hoping the benefits trickle down very very fast

Honestly think you are both right
You need the Ferrari/F1 and keep pushing the boundaries
However, you can’t stop wondering what this processing could do with a native 4k tv when handling HD and lesser...must be a dream in any size up to 75.

8k will come but I would have preferred like many here that industry focused first on sorting basics (panel uniformity, hdr, better motion, hfr, better sounds, HD and 4k streaming for normal channels,..).

So, very glad we are pushing the boat like formula one but hoping the benefits trickle down very very fast
When you read the reviews it makes me wonder how much that AI/processing is actually doing when the 8K pixel structure is presenting a tighter image along with sharpening etc. mentioned in a certain Danish review, which questioned the magic behind the curtain. And the German review cited in the Sony ZF9 thread which set the Q900R against it was interesting reading and viewing.
But then the trouble of late with all the reviews seems rather sample dependent, as they vary quite wildly raving in one direction or the other.

When you read the reviews it makes me wonder how much that AI/processing is actually doing when the 8K pixel structure is presenting a tighter image along with sharpening etc. mentioned in a certain Danish review, which questioned the magic behind the curtain. And the German review cited in the Sony ZF9 thread which set the Q900R against it was interesting reading and viewing.
But then the trouble of late with all the reviews seems rather sample dependent, as they vary quite wildly raving in one direction or the other.
I just posted the French review. They had the same reservations but were forced to concede that ai processing and 8k DID have an impact on the picture...
It is hard to believe considering how most of the picture is created from databases/filters...
Let’s hope some of that ai magic alongside mini led is applied to next year 4k led for less than 65 (I think 75 is a minimum for 8k)

Annnnd congratulations on being the first one to start waaaaahing on the latest TV Thread.. maybe if you read the review you'd see that Samsung will replace the boxes with the proper ports once it becomes available, as for a lack of content.. sure lets just halt technological progress until everyone catches up /s.. blooming atrocious.. mate are you a kid or something? an Adult reviewed the TV using his experience and the tools of the trade and give his score based on his results and you throw the dummy out of the pram because witttle ole you doesnt wike it...

can only imagine what you where like on the playground back in the spectrum/c64 days
The Spectrums were only useful for spare rubbers.

Last edited:
Interesting review. Well done. My main caveat is whether 8K is really needed or even perceptible under normal viewing conditions. I've been chasing video resolution nirvana since I bought my first comb filter Sony TV in 1987. 1080i/P literally rocked my world when it exploded on the scene starting in 1999 when I purchased my Pioneer Elite 58" rear projection set for 7 grand!
So, here we are today with 4K HDR which absolutely thrills me on my C7 65" OLED.
According to most visual acuity charts I should sit about 4 feet from the screen to see every pixel of true 4K resolution. I cheat a little and sit back about 6 feet. From there 720P looks acceptable and 1080P looks really close to 4K. So, ideally with 8K content you should sit up to 2 feet from the screen to see all the glorious 8K detail and if you're 4 feet or more back then normal eyes can't tell the difference between 4K and 8K resolution. This, of course, gets really silly and impractical.
Of more importance, which I discovered years ago with my old 80" Sharp, is that if you sit too close you are creating a fairly large viewing angle to the edges of the screen. The great black LCD levels and well-saturated colours you've been enjoying turn to a faded and murky gray image as you approach the screens right and left edges.
Much as I love super sharp resolution, I really do not believe that 8K video will add any noticeable detail enhancement in the vast majority of viewing environments. You simply can't practically sit close enough to see it.

Attachments

• TV Resolution Viewing Distance.png
    TV Resolution Viewing Distance.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 70
Lumagen If you want to improve your TVs 4K upscaling, which compared to a dedicated processor is pretty naff on even the best sets.

Bill

Aren't those between £5000 and £7000? I would expect at those prices to be leaps and bounds ahead of any TV upscaling but who is going to pay that on top of a £5000 and £7000 TV.

A lot of people would question the sanity of paying £5000 – 7000 for a TV or £5000 – 7000 for a pair of speakers, however if you want the best you have to pay for it, plus the Lumagen can be used to improve any TV or projector as it can be set to map to the limitations of the TV or Projector. (The main model for most uses will be between about £4000 - £5000)

Bill

Of course but the majority who can and do pay that amount wouldn't pay double that price for a little difference with upscaling. For example if you buy the 75 inch at £6999 why pay £5000-£7000 for better upscaling when you may aswell just buy the 85 inch model that will add way more satisfaction and immersion to the experience. Add that amount of money to any single consumer TV on the market and that TV is going to improve dramatically. You could add that cost in backlight zones and they you would have a TV as strong as OLED on blacks but with way more brightness. HD to 8K and 4K to 8K on this set is already pin sharp. 4K material from my experience is of a higher quality than any 4K set iv owned. If I had that amount of money left over I would have just gone for the 85 inch model. I do see where your coming from. Squeezing every inch of picture quality that you can but as far as current consumer models go this TV is already at the top when it comes to upscaling and the detail of the picture, lack of aliasing ect.

Maybe if I was rich lol but honestly if I had that amount of money available id probably go to the bigger model over anything else.

We know 8k is coming - its just whether its 'worth' buying an 8k TV in the UK. In Japan (or where ever NHK's 8k broadcasts can be received), its perhaps a bigger incentive to buy. Japan will be covering their Olympics in 8k so whether you can watch in 8k outside of the NHK catchment area, I don't know.

If I was buying today, I may consider the 8k Samsung - if for nothing other than more 'long term' future proofing but I don't know that I would necessarily buy it specifically for 8k. If its 'better' than the Q9FN, that would be more incentive for me.

I am more interested now though in potential new tech more than 8k. Wondering whether we will see MicroLEDs, QD OLEDs etc - preferably with HDMI 2.1 - VRR, eARC, HFR etc. I would be happy with this more than 8k. CES is coming up soon so we will see what other manufacturers have to compete with Samsung - the only one (so far) with 8k and VRR.

I guess it also depends on how often you upgrade your TV. Mine usually get upgraded after 3 to 4 yrs - although the main TV becomes the 'bedroom' TV so they normally get around 6-8yrs usage at least. If you only upgrade when your existing TV breaks down, maybe it might be worth getting 8k so when content is around, you already have a screen capable of displaying it. I can wait as I doubt Sky, Netflix and the next gen consoles will be offering 8k so I doubt I will need 8k for a few years yet...

We know 8k is coming - its just whether its 'worth' buying an 8k TV in the UK. In Japan (or where ever NHK's 8k broadcasts can be received), its perhaps a bigger incentive to buy. Japan will be covering their Olympics in 8k so whether you can watch in 8k outside of the NHK catchment area, I don't know.

If I was buying today, I may consider the 8k Samsung - if for nothing other than more 'long term' future proofing but I don't know that I would necessarily buy it specifically for 8k. If its 'better' than the Q9FN, that would be more incentive for me.

I am more interested now though in potential new tech more than 8k. Wondering whether we will see MicroLEDs, QD OLEDs etc - preferably with HDMI 2.1 - VRR, eARC, HFR etc. I would be happy with this more than 8k. CES is coming up soon so we will see what other manufacturers have to compete with Samsung - the only one (so far) with 8k and VRR.

I guess it also depends on how often you upgrade your TV. Mine usually get upgraded after 3 to 4 yrs - although the main TV becomes the 'bedroom' TV so they normally get around 6-8yrs usage at least. If you only upgrade when your existing TV breaks down, maybe it might be worth getting 8k so when content is around, you already have a screen capable of displaying it. I can wait as I doubt Sky, Netflix and the next gen consoles will be offering 8k so I doubt I will need 8k for a few years yet...
I would be interested because of the improved up scaling with the added bonus of being future proofed. However, if the Q9f handling of shadows was improved to match the 900R then that would be a more likely future purchase because of the price and lack of 8k sources.

I would be interested because of the improved up scaling with the added bonus of being future proofed. However, if the Q9f handling of shadows was improved to match the 900R then that would be a more likely future purchase because of the price and lack of 8k sources.
This development is to be applauded indeed. This ai processing (should really be called multi filters instead) is a winner applied to q10fn with descent mini led on top...dream
They can keep micro led for the big expensive models...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom