Samsung Q9 (QE65Q9FN) Review & Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went with a mate who is after a new TV and saw the 55" in Currys, had some demo material and playing back game of thrones and it was doing a weird pulsing with the backlight getting brighter and darker every half a second or so, very very off putting.

It didn't do it with anything else we had on a USB stick but it looked truly awful when it did.

I signed up as a member, just to see how long this ping pong match will go on. :D

As for me - I picked up a 75" Q9FN at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. I'm using that to replace an Epson 3050UB projector (onto a 120" screen). I think almost ANY LCD or OLED would be a step up - and this one certainly was!

Feel free lol. I just received my 75 Q9FN today. Wont be putting it up till the weekend though as I'm wall mounting. Replaced a LG E6 which I have been staring at for 2 years now so ill be able to tell quite easily the differences.

Went with a mate who is after a new TV and saw the 55" in Currys, had some demo material and playing back game of thrones and it was doing a weird pulsing with the backlight getting brighter and darker every half a second or so, very very off putting.

It didn't do it with anything else we had on a USB stick but it looked truly awful when it did.
Similar is also reported in the flatpanels review. Hopefully something that can get sorted in a firmware update.
We experienced a problem while watching HDR video that appears to be related to having the dynamic backlight control set to ‘High’. We observed that the light in picture at times pulsated in such a way that the entire picture – not only the highlights – seemed as if it was pulsating/flickering up and down in intensity.... It looks almost as if Q9FN’s LED backlight system is confused about how to set its light level and then decides to switch continuously between two brightness levels to compensate in some way, which is distracting to look at.

Not use I'm reading your reply correct ?

But I have an Q9FN, but it appears this thread as turned into a Oled one.

Less of the OLED talk please :nono:
:D

But seriously we've let this thread take its natural course, we have an owners thread which won't go too far off topic but this has sort of developed into a comparison debate. I'm not going to erase all OLED talk, the thread would be halved, as long as it doesn't turn into a willy waving contest then it can continue within reason.

The real question is does this TV hold its own against OLED, everyone wants to know don't they?

The real question is does this TV hold its own against OLED, everyone wants to know don't they?

For many of us - yes, absolutely. The discussion and links posted within have been extremely informative as to establishing the pros and cons of each tech and detailing just how much the Q9FN has caught up.

Similar is also reported in the flatpanels review. Hopefully something that can get sorted in a firmware update.
We experienced a problem while watching HDR video that appears to be related to having the dynamic backlight control set to ‘High’. We observed that the light in picture at times pulsated in such a way that the entire picture – not only the highlights – seemed as if it was pulsating/flickering up and down in intensity.... It looks almost as if Q9FN’s LED backlight system is confused about how to set its light level and then decides to switch continuously between two brightness levels to compensate in some way, which is distracting to look at.

Yeah I guess they should be able to change the algorithm.

But seriously we've let this thread take its natural course, we have an owners thread which won't go too far off topic but this has sort of developed into a comparison debate. I'm not going to erase all OLED talk, the thread would be halved, as long as it doesn't turn into a willy waving contest then it can continue within reason.

Well yes it does, Avforums own reviewer Steve as stated in his review of the Q9FN it's very close.

As an owner of an Oled a Q7 2017 and now a Q9FN I think iv earned to right to compare techs too, so I ant just trying to defend my purchase.. ;)

Iv not noticed this on my TV, I did have a crazy bug which ment I got a blue line on bottom of screen coming out off HDR content.. A quick reset sorted it out and I've not seen it since..Defo sounds like a software issue..

Did they state what firmware there TVs are on ?

Iv not noticed this on my TV, I did have a crazy bug which ment I got a blue line on bottom of screen coming out off HDR content.. A quick reset sorted it out and I've not seen it since..Defo sounds like a software issue..

Did they state what firmware there TVs are on ?
Try reading the review for that...:)
I suspect it's to do with mostly dark screen with a few highlights as both GOT above and Jessica Jones in the flatpanels review fall into that category. TV can't decide whether to blacken the blacks or lighten the lights and gets itself into a muddle doing iterative loops with the dimming. Down a bit, up a bit etc. Or may have dimming steps it's jumping between which is what the review video looked like.

While this should be easy for Samsung to sort out, it's something which should have been picked up on before release. If you want to check/test/tune local dimming reaction GOT seems an obvious bit of test content.

Last edited:
Try reading the review for that...:)
I suspect it's to do with mostly dark screen with a few highlights as both GOT above and Jessica Jones in the flatpanels review fall into that category. TV can't decide whether to blacken the blacks or lighten the lights and gets itself into a muddle doing iterative loops with the dimming. Down a bit, up a bit etc. Or may have dimming presets it's jumping between which is what the review video looked like.

While this should be easy for Samsung to sort out, it's something which should have been picked up on before release. If you want to test local dimming reaction GOT seems an obvious bit of test content.

This is the problem with being an early TV adopter, not only do you pay full price, but you've got no idea, what'll get fixed, or not, down the line, the DX902 had certain problems with pulsing credits, and other things, but Panny didn't put out 1 single firmware in 2 years to improve pic quality, not that Sammy can't rectify all backlight anomalies, but it's very unlikely, due to the variables that the system and backlight are trying to deal with! HDR is a real workout for these sets.

This is the problem with being an early TV adopter, not only do you pay full price, but you've got no idea, what'll get fixed, or not, down the line, the DX902 had certain problems with pulsing credits, and other things, but Panny didn't put out 1 single firmware in 2 years to improve pic quality, not that Sammy can't rectify all backlight anomalies, but it's very unlikely, due to the variables that the system and backlight are trying to deal with! HDR is a real workout for these sets.
Yes, Panasonic seemed to take ages to fix stuttering problem with one of their Oleds too.
Even needed a petition to be raised Sign the Petition

Sorry. Whatever you do, don't mention the OLEDs!...:)

index.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Panasonic seemed to take ages to fix stuttering problem with one of their Oleds too.
Even needed a petition to be raised Sign the Petition

Sorry. Whatever you do, don't mention the OLEDs!...:)

View attachment 1015026

That reminds me stuttering was always an issue with Samsungs a few years back, did they ever fix it? I gave up in the end.

@arenaman no they didn't, if you notice reviews they still mention micro stutter.

But I can't think of one manufacturer that doesn't have complaints, they are all as bad as each other when it comes to fixing that crap.

Last year (2016 ranges) in the which tv should I buy section the hot topic was the Samsung micro stutter because the KS7000 was the best selling goto model for the cheapest, decent HDR TV.

This year (2017 ranges) that has changed to the X9005 and possibly the B7/C7 if people's wallets stretch that far, so instead its popular to talk about the motion complaints on those TVs instead.

I am waiting for when Panasonic release a best selling TV again so we can look forward to their problems handling 50hz content, something that I can remember has been around as long as I have owned their TVs anyway...but the way they are going I'm not sure they won't fold first.

The fact is, anything you read on here is always going to be a skewed demographic, of course we get people who complain about certain TVs when there is always a trend that those complaints always follow the best selling TVs currently available.

No TV is perfect!

Last edited:
Feel free lol. I just received my 75 Q9FN today. Wont be putting it up till the weekend though as I'm wall mounting. Replaced a LG E6 which I have been staring at for 2 years now so ill be able to tell quite easily the differences.
It will be very interesting to hear your feedback on the 75 Q9FN v LG E6 :)

C8 best in class by Steve As expected
Everyone should be happy now
LG C8 OLED (OLED55C8, OLED65C8) review | TechRadar

Sounds like a fantastic picture, but still no fix for the burn in problem....

Atleast he bothers to mention the risks of burn in, played down by so many on here, I really don't care what anyone says, you shouldn't have to worry about what you watch on a TV...
No mention of news/sports channels/you tube and other apps which can also burn in the Oled only gaming is also a bit misleading..

"A word of caution, OLED is a self-emissive technology and there is a possibility of image retention or even screen burn, so bear that in mind if you game for hours on end"

"Finally if you fancy an LCD panel, then the excellent Samsung Q9FN QLED TVuses direct LED backlighting to deliver near-OLED blacks and a huge peak brightness, making it ideal for HDR. Since it also has a 21ms input lag and doesn’t suffer from image retention or screen burn, it’s also a great choice for gamers.

Sounds like a fantastic picture, but still no fix for the burn in problem....

Atleast he bothers to mention the risks of burn in, played down by so many on here, I really don't care what anyone says, you shouldn't have to worry about what you watch on a TV...
No mention of news/sports channels/you tube and other apps which can also burn in the Oled only gaming is also a bit misleading..

"A word of caution, OLED is a self-emissive technology and there is a possibility of image retention or even screen burn, so bear that in mind if you game for hours on end"

"Finally if you fancy an LCD panel, then the excellent Samsung Q9FN QLED TVuses direct LED backlighting to deliver near-OLED blacks and a huge peak brightness, making it ideal for HDR. Since it also has a 21ms input lag and doesn’t suffer from image retention or screen burn, it’s also a great choice for gamers.
I don't worry about what I watch on my E6, never had any issues with IR /burn in on that any by all accounts the 2018 models are even more resilient. Non issue if you ask me

I don't worry about what I watch on my E6, never had any issues with IR /burn in on that any by all accounts the 2018 models are even more resilient. Non issue if you ask me

I never for 2 years.. Just saying.

I never for 2 years.. Just saying.

I had a Kuro for 6 years, didn't baby it, played tons of static HUD games, as it was used primarily for gaming, and had zero burn in somehow, point being Plasma was known to be terrible for burn in, and OLED is supposed to be much better, trouble with these things, is that only time will tell.

One area that lcd, imo, could really do with improving on is motion resolution so I'm very interested to see how the Q9FN fares in that regard. The best lcd I have personally tried is the KS8000 and there was still a slight blur on moving images compared to my GT60 plasma which retained notably more detail. I'm hoping the Q9FN has improved over previous lcd standards in this area.

For clarity I've owned HU8500, X8505, DX902 & KS8000 4k lcd tvs as well as a few of the best 1080p models too (F8000, W905 & AS802) so have a fair idea of their pros & cons. Funnily enough the Panasonic AS802 which is probably the least highly regarded of the lot had the best motion resolution I've seen on lcd. I haven't got around to trying oled yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom