Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

I don't have a 3080 but with RX 5700 I have 4K @ 120 4:2:0. If anyone does not have it and source is able to provide it, then the problem is the HDMI cable and not the TV. There are many "high speed HDMI" cables that are not really what they should be.

Does FreeSync work for you on 4k @ 120 Hz 4:2:0? I have a Vega 56 connected to my Q85R and all I seem to get is a green flickering mess as soon as FreeSync engages. Using 4k @ 60 Hz or 1440p @ 120Hz on the other hand works fine with FreeSync.

I don't have a 3080 but with RX 5700 I have 4K @ 120 4:2:0. If anyone does not have it and source is able to provide it, then the problem is the HDMI cable and not the TV. There are many "high speed HDMI" cables that are not really what they should be.

Thanks for the confirmation. Tried it with an Xbox 1x which allows me to select 4k/120hz using 8/10/12bit but each time it says TV doesn't support it. I am pretty certain the xb1x doesn't support it anyway and is basically blaming the TV lol. Tried my son's gaming pc and the RX580 doesn't list any 4k/120 modes even if I switch to chroma subsampling. Tbh I wasn't even sure if the RX580 was even hdmi 2.0b so pushing my luck anyway lol

Last edited:
Does FreeSync work for you on 4k @ 120 Hz 4:2:0? I have a Vega 56 connected to my Q85R and all I seem to get is a green flickering mess as soon as FreeSync engages. Using 4k @ 60 Hz or 1440p @ 120Hz on the other hand works fine with FreeSync.
Freesync causes that green flickering yes, to fix it you need to disable and enable again the game mode on the TV. It was the workaround I've found to work, it's annoying, they should be able to fix it but not yet.

Ok I have finally found a game changer settings that has the brightness of enabling low constrast enhancer without over boosting the highlights and without losing any details in hdr.

As you know I have been very obsessed about settings rather than enjoying the tv. But i have never actually managed to be happy when watching hdr movies as without contrast enhancer it's too dim, with contrast enhancer set to low i get bright picture but lose detail in the highlight area.

I have tried countless online settings, but one movie looks good another looks bad.

So I decided to take a risk and initially I wanted to unlock cal night and day mode from the samsung service menu which can mess up your tv if you do something wrong and void warranty, then I saw an option to turn on hdr plus feature just for curiosity.

After hours playing with cal night and day mode comparing 3 different settings as movie, cal night and day are similar, I still couldn't get it right.

Then something amazing happened I turned on hdr plus and played about with gamma settings, I found out you now can select all gamma options for hdr.
I went from st.2084 to hlg and plus 3 on the gamma slider and minus 3 on brightness.

Now the picture came alive literally, I can't believe how much better the image is, not only did it have similar effect as low constrast enhancer, but in the dark scenes I can see every detail, no more black crush, the whites are very bright now too.

I now get that pop and comparing to movie mode with contrast enhancer to off and my setting it is night and day.

Comparing to movie mode with low constrast enhancer on, it's very similar in brightness but no more over boosted hightlights.

This only works in hlg mode which you can't select normally playing hdr movies.

And only niggle is it doesn't stay in hlg mode every time you watch a hdr movie, you have to manually select it from st.2084.

So there is something about hdr plus and hlg combo that triggered this magic. But now I am finally enjoying this tv.

My main settings for hdr movies

Backlight 50
Brightness -3
Contrast 50
Sharpness 0
Colour 25
Contrast enhancer off
Local dimming high
Hdr + mode on

Colour tone warm 2
White balance I did the one I posted earlier I this thread.

Gamma HLG
HLG slider +3
Colour space custom

To get to the device menu I did the following
Service menu samsung q85r

Press the following buttons INFO, MENU or Settings , MUTE, POWER-ON.

Option/ mrt option/ hdr plus support to on.

Turn tv off to exit.

But be careful all your current picture settings will be reset every time you go into this menu.

It's upto you to try this, but at your own risk, I thought I'd share what worked for me this really is a game changer for this tv, I can't believe I found this, I spent the last 2 nights doing all sorts of settings and it's finally worth it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

So to get that HDR+ mode option you have to go into the service menu? I don't see it at all at the moment.

So to get that HDR+ mode option you have to go into the service menu? I don't see it at all at the moment.
Hi I'm using a pc now so just using standard mode, I use madvr to convert hdr to sdr and get the same image but brighter, and using svp for motion at 60 fps and looks stunning, for me pc is the way to go.

Reason for using madvr to convert hdr to sdr is in using Phillips hue play bars as ambilight and if I play hdr movies the light colour output is wrong and not accurate but once I convert hdr to sdr the ambilight effect is awesome.

I've ordered hue gradient lightstrip now, so will have proper ambilight.

I prefer hdr to sdr on madvr than actual hdr but that's me.

I'm fairly sure the TV automatically identifies when the content is HDR10+ and displays it that way by default.

So that menu option only appears when playing HDR content? I tried playing Netflix HDR and also other HDR movie and it doesn't appear

Go to quick settings. The picture mode icon will show HDR10+ to confirm.

Attachments

• 20201006_121414.jpg
    20201006_121414.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 182

Hi did you managed to get freesync working? All I get is a green screen or picture freezing on the last image when turning freesync on, can you tell me what amd driver your using?

This is not the same as hdr 10, in the service menu there was an option to enable hdr plus, you only do it once, the when you turn on the tv under settings, you will see hdr plus option , you can turn on or off from there, but I don't use that anymore.

Hello all,

Bought a 65Q85R and right now I have the following doubts:

1) I´m looking into buying a SoundBar to replace my old Logitech setup. Does this TV support or not Dolby Atmos, DTS-X? I can´t find a conclusive answer on that.

2) I´ve been reading about lip sync issues, if I connect the soundbar to the ARC port, will I have those problems??

2) Regarding the 4K @ 120Hz. Already connect my PC (Nvidia GTX 1060) to the OneConnect HDMI Port4 and I still can´t force it to 120Hz.

Hello all,

Bought a 65Q85R and right now I have the following doubts:

1) I´m looking into buying a SoundBar to replace my old Logitech setup. Does this TV support or not Dolby Atmos, DTS-X? I can´t find a conclusive answer on that.

2) I´ve been reading about lip sync issues, if I connect the soundbar to the ARC port, will I have those problems??

2) Regarding the 4K @ 120Hz. Already connect my PC (Nvidia GTX 1060) to the OneConnect HDMI Port4 and I still can´t force it to 120Hz.

Re: 4k @120hz. It's very specific as the emanual says only 4k 120hz using chroma 4:2:0. Using full RGB or Chroma 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 is not supported. In theory none of the existing hdmi 2.0 cards have to support this resolution over hdmi (it's beyond hdmi 2.0 limit of 18Gbs) as I can't get my RX580 to force it either. However others have had success with last year's gfx cards such as the 5700XT and RTX2080 i.e. high end cards.

Re: 4k @120hz. It's very specific as the emanual says only 4k 120hz using chroma 4:2:0. Using full RGB or Chroma 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 is not supported. In theory none of the existing hdmi 2.0 cards have to support this resolution over hdmi (it's beyond hdmi 2.0 limit of 18Gbs) as I can't get my RX580 to force it either. However others have had success with last year's gfx cards such as the 5700XT and RTX2080 i.e. high end cards.

It's all very complicated. So you need a card that supports hdmi 2.1 even though the tv doesn't support that?

Thanks for the response. Probably the newer graphics can force 4k@120hz through Hdmi 2.0.

And the question about Dolby Atmos and DTS-X? Is there any way for me to buy a new soundbar and force the TV to support that?

It's all very complicated. So you need a card that supports hdmi 2.1 even though the tv doesn't support that?

Yes as for some reason Samsung fitted hdmi port 4 with one that is more than the hdmi 2.0 18Gbs. How much more is speculated to be around 25Gbs which is enough to do the above resolution an also 4k@60 full RGB/Chroma 4:4:4.

Why Samsung didn't go to the trouble of getting this officially recognised as hdmi 2.1 I do not know. After all I don't believe there is any minimum speed specified under hdmi 2.1 as most of it is up to the manufacturer to implement. E.g. it's not mandatory to support VRR, ALLM or any of these higher resolutions and still claim the ports are hdmi 2.1. both LG and Samsung in the 2020 line ups have gone with 40Gbs hdmi 2.1 ports as there is no point having 48Gbs unless your TVs are 12bit panels (they aren't) or pushing 8k@60hz 10bit at more than chroma 4:2:0

And what about Dolby Atmos and DST-X... Tomorrow i´ll buy a soundbar and I´m completely lost in this department...

I didn’t know this TV supported 4K120 in any form, so nice to know it does. I’m confused about the ports though, is everyone else’s ARC on HDMI3? I’d assume the port with the largest bandwidth would be the ARC port but according to the manual and people here, HDMI4 is the best?
My TV is the UK 55Q85R.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom