Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

Depends on price really but the C9 is so highly regarded I doubt you would be disappointed. Apart from price, the only reason I chose the Samsung was to feel more secure about screen burn. If you're careful then an oled is probably the better choice.
Apparently its pretty bad for stutter though
My main gripe is how ridiculously easy it was for the q85r screen to damage, it was barely touched!

The Q85R is also incredibly bad for stutter. I’ve never seen anything so bad (I’ve had crt, plasma, VA & IPS screens and nothing comes close to how bad low frame rate stuff stutters on this tv - and let’s face it, apart from gaming, everything is low frame rate really).
What makes it worse is that turning auto motion plus on even low to make it look passable like other TVs introduces awful artifacts because the algorithms are that awful.
If OLED is worse then this then good god!

I have the Q85R and i've never noticed any stuttering.Can you give me an example.

I have the Q85R and i've never noticed any stuttering.Can you give me an example.
Any slow panning shot is a horrible mess of stutter - especially around high contrast lines.
I’m not talking about the 24fps telecine style judder that causes a frame skip when frame rate doesn’t match the display - just the usual low frame rate judder that is completely normal and that you get in the cinema - it is just so much more pronounced on this set.

Well i've watched multiple formats 4k uhd,bluray,dvd,my old eyes must be tired,cause i have never seen any stuttering,unless its been so mild that i haven't noticed.

Any one use the Freesync option on the TV and a GPU (PC) ?,
Will it work passing the signal through an amp ?
PC>AMP>TV
or will i need to connect the PC straight to the TV ?

Some people are just less sensitive to it.
Seems I’m not alone in my opinion though - see this (which does also the OLEDs are way worse:

Havent noticed significant stutter either. Or rather i have, but assumed it was the input.

Watching jack ryan UHD on prime at the moment though and am shocked at the colour gradients in the sky on the harbour scene at the start of episode 2 (s1).

I’ve not been able to find any posts with the same issue, but when credits or any text is on screen and they are white text on a black screen they pulse. It’s the same with the BBC logo in the corner of downloaded shows I’m dark scenes too.

Havent noticed significant stutter either. Or rather i have, but assumed it was the input.

Watching jack ryan UHD on prime at the moment though and am shocked at the colour gradients in the sky on the harbour scene at the start of episode 2 (s1).

surely that problem is caused by prime's streaming rather than the tv

My wee boys toy plane hit the screen, not even that hard at all and its bloody damaged the screen
Can these get fixed, or is it a whole replacement required?
the contents insurance should cover it i hope, but still gutting
Kids and good TVs do not go together.

Ditch the kid 😂😂😂😂👍

Any slow panning shot is a horrible mess of stutter - especially around high contrast lines.
I’m not talking about the 24fps telecine style judder that causes a frame skip when frame rate doesn’t match the display - just the usual low frame rate judder that is completely normal and that you get in the cinema - it is just so much more pronounced on this set.

As with my OLED it's because they have a 120 Hz refresh and hold each frame.
This precision is also their Achilles Heel.

You have to use a small amount of smoothing to make it look like it would in the cinema.

I use 4/10 on my OLED and it's just fine.

Play with the settings. Don't know about QLEDS but there must be a bunch of confusing settings !

Check the Rtings.com tech report/review.

Should I see an HDR logo when I play HDR content on my Q85? I can't and am concerned I'm not getting the most out of the picture! If I should be, please could someone give me advice on how I can ensure all HDR content is viewed correctly? Many thanks!

So has anyone with larger pockets than I and even larger luck lol in securing a 3080 managed to verify the 4k@120hz 4:2:0 or 4k@60hz 4:4:4 modes that according to the 85R TVs help and user manual one connect box hdmi port 4 supports?

Looking at purchasing a 65 inch Q85R for £1500

Any comments about how this performs for games, films and watching sports?

Debating this or an OLED but form everything I’ve read don’t believe I’ll get a 65 inch OLED for £1500?
Hi mate, did you get the Samsung? I’ve just got one & looking for a good picture setting.

So my 55" Q85R from Richer Sounds turned up with only the stand bar, missing the neck. They have since sent this but now I realise I don't have the screws to join these together. Samsung chat support have not been great help. Does anyone know which screws join the bar to the neck of the stand?

What makes it worse is the user manual as well as unboxing videos only show the stand piece as one, with both the bar and neck attached, however, mine was separate.

Richer Sounds are sending me a universal stand by Sanus whhich should arrive Wednesday but I am keen to use the actual stand if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Should I see an HDR logo when I play HDR content on my Q85? I can't and am concerned I'm not getting the most out of the picture! If I should be, please could someone give me advice on how I can ensure all HDR content is viewed correctly? Many thanks!

When a HDR content is displaying you can check the "HDR Logo" on picture settings in the menu.

I've not checked in for a while. Was the long promised update from Samsung ever released for vrr etc?

So has anyone with larger pockets than I and even larger luck lol in securing a 3080 managed to verify the 4k@120hz 4:2:0 or 4k@60hz 4:4:4 modes that according to the 85R TVs help and user manual one connect box hdmi port 4 supports?

I don't have a 3080 but with RX 5700 I have 4K @ 120 4:2:0. If anyone does not have it and source is able to provide it, then the problem is the HDMI cable and not the TV. There are many "high speed HDMI" cables that are not really what they should be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom