Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

Been using 75 inch version since Saturday and find the quality of colours and picture extremely good. Even the sound is more than adequate for day to day viewing (although I've got 5.1 setup for films).

Only thing I'm finding annoying is the local dimming. Unless turned down very low in Movie mode, the brightness changes within a scene are very noticeable, to the point of being a distraction. I also had to turn backlight down low to stop subtitles from ghosting (is that the correct term for when the black areas surrounding white objects are brighter than they should be?). I found this especially so whilst watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime 4K.

At the moment, I am wondering whether to return it and get a Q90R instead. Will the addition of more local dimming zones lessen the effect I have described?

Been using 75 inch version since Saturday and find the quality of colours and picture extremely good. Even the sound is more than adequate for day to day viewing (although I've got 5.1 setup for films).

Only thing I'm finding annoying is the local dimming. Unless turned down very low in Movie mode, the brightness changes within a scene are very noticeable, to the point of being a distraction. I also had to turn backlight down low to stop subtitles from ghosting (is that the correct term for when the black areas surrounding white objects are brighter than they should be?). I found this especially so whilst watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime 4K.

At the moment, I am wondering whether to return it and get a Q90R instead. Will the addition of more local dimming zones lessen the effect I have described?

Totally agree with your assessment. Glad it's not just me! Did those changes help? Q90R is so much more expensive tho....

PSA to everyone with the Q80r, don't touch the screen, the anti reflective coating absorbs literally anything that gets on the screen. I now have two blue smudges on the screen from relatives fingerprints, you can't wipe it off like a normal TV. Absolutely mental that Samsung doesn't warn you about this.

PSA to everyone with the Q80r, don't touch the screen, the anti reflective coating absorbs literally anything that gets on the screen. I now have two blue smudges on the screen from relatives fingerprints, you can't wipe it off like a normal TV. Absolutely mental that Samsung doesn't warn you about this.

I think it mentions using microfiber cloth to clean it in the manual or something like that

Totally agree with your assessment. Glad it's not just me! Did those changes help? Q90R is so much more expensive tho....

It had appeared to work when I watched the same programme last night. It just seems a shame that a function can't be used.

Fortunately, I was able to get the 85R for £2399 direct from Samsung using the student discount. The 90R is currently £2799 with discount. I may consider exchanging if the 90 drops to the same price as 85 is currently.

It had appeared to work when I watched the same programme last night. It just seems a shame that a function can't be used.

Fortunately, I was able to get the 85R for £2399 direct from Samsung using the student discount. The 90R is currently £2799 with discount. I may consider exchanging if the 90 drops to the same price as 85 is currently.

Ahh I'm part time student with nus card is that what you need to get discount?

Ahh I'm part time student with nus card is that what you need to get discount?

Sign up to Student Beans using your academic email address. Then use the link to the Samsung Store from the Student Beans website.

Not set my Q85R up yet - are the above issues that bad, second guessing now if ive got the right TV :laugh:

What are the settings like out of the box for this set?

Does much need changing?

I’m looking to buy a 55” and torn between a Q85 and a Q90. The Q90 will cost me another £300.
think it’s worth the extra?

update. it seems it was the 'ambient light detection' (in eco of general settings) switched on that was causing the problem. all gone now.

I have a Samsung Q80R and from the beginning the TV after switching off restarts after about 20 seconds. This does not always happen but about 2 times a day. I have the latest software, they reset my TV through the hotlines but it did nothing. I have all functions disabled. Interestingly, I had 2 q70 pieces and did exactly the same. Is this a broken TV or is there a way to do it? I am sorry for my English but I am from Poland

I’m looking to buy a 55” and torn between a Q85 and a Q90. The Q90 will cost me another £300.
think it’s worth the extra?

Only you can decide that. You would also need to sit pretty close to a 55" screen to see the benefits of 4K.

For me
- I didn't need the extra 20w of sound because I use external 5.1 for movies (and the 85R sounds good enough for normal TV anyhow)
- I prefer the frame as it appears to float off the wall and to be thinner than the Q90 (although the depth is actually 20cm deeper than the Q90)
- I'm more than happy with what is being produced with 1500 bits and 100 dimming lights. perhaps the Q90 picture is £300 better, but I'm not comparing them side by side so have no idea.

Now that I've sorted out my earlier posted problem by turning off ambient light detection, I am happy to keep it.

Not set my Q85R up yet - are the above issues that bad, second guessing now if ive got the right TV :laugh:
Whatever you do don't touch the screen. It will immediately leave a blue mark on the screen that you can't remove. Samsung don't address this because they are a horrible company but it's basically burn in on the outside of your TV. Looks horrible on a sunny day. fudge the anti reflective filter Samsung use. Can't even clean the damn thing.

Whatever you do don't touch the screen. It will immediately leave a blue mark on the screen that you can't remove. Samsung don't address this because they are a horrible company but it's basically burn in on the outside of your TV. Looks horrible on a sunny day. fudge the anti reflective filter Samsung use. Can't even clean the damn thing.

I thought we had suffered that too (finger prints after placing it on the wall). However, lightly wiping the prints with a microfibre cloth removed them almost instantaneously (without removing the coating as mentioned elsewhere).

It's still annoying that you have to be so precious around a daily object though.

I thought we had suffered that too (finger prints after placing it on the wall). However, lightly wiping the prints with a microfibre cloth removed them almost instantaneously (without removing the coating as mentioned elsewhere).

It's still annoying that you have to be so precious around a daily object though.
Wish that was the case for me, mine won't come off

Folks...For HDR and SDR gaming should I leave the sharpness set to zero or 10 would be good enough? There are YouTubers recommending that for 4k checkerboard rendering games it better to keep at 10 or default on Samsung Q80R. Is that true? Please advise on this matter. Thanks

Folks...For HDR and SDR gaming should I leave the sharpness set to zero or 10 would be good enough? There are YouTubers recommending that for 4k checkerboard rendering games it better to keep at 10 or default on Samsung Q80R. Is that true? Please advise on this matter. Thanks
If you're after image accuracy then 0 is best. If you prefer the artificial sharpening on 4k checkerboard games then 10 is fine. Personally I always have sharpness at 0 on every TV I've owned (barring the xf90) as I don't like additional unnecessary image processing. Try it and see if you like it at 0 or 10.

Wish that was the case for me, mine won't come off
Is it that bad, do you have any images?

Wouldnt it be covered by a warranty or does it not fall into that?

Is it that bad, do you have any images?

Wouldnt it be covered by a warranty or does it not fall into that?
Wouldn't be covered by warranty unfortunately as it was technically damage done by me. Plus I just really can't be bothered with that I've had a nightmare with TV's since may. Unfortunately moved from OLED to this Q80R and I'm regretting it deeply now.
20191114_151652.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom