Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

I got this tv about a month ago and did not have time to calibrate my Samsung Q80R QLED tv for HDR gaming on PS4 Pro. Could anyone who has the best visual/picture setting for Samsung Q80R when comes to PS4 Pro gaming share their calibration settings please? Much appreciate. I also did look up Rtings source for calibration but my concern is that their establishment are in Europe and I am in America so the models could slightly be different and their calibration might not work for me that well.

OK, had it a week now and the PQ is good....but.....the u8000 had more stunning PQ in certain situations where the Q80 has overall better blacks.

I've used the rtings settings but there must be better settings out there to make the picture really much better than the u8000? anyone know?

As its nearly double the price I'm wondering what I'm getting thats worth the price difference over the 8000?

Looking at purchasing a 65 inch Q85R for £1500

Any comments about how this performs for games, films and watching sports?

Debating this or an OLED but form everything I’ve read don’t believe I’ll get a 65 inch OLED for £1500?

I am going to be purchasing a 65" TV. I am really stuck between the Samsung Q80 and the LG B9.
can you folks tell me what TVs you considered and why you ultimately chose the Q80?
i am located in the states, Xbox one x gaming, and some netflix, blu rays, sports viewing.

I am going to be purchasing a 65" TV. I am really stuck between the Samsung Q80 and the LG B9.
can you folks tell me what TVs you considered and why you ultimately chose the Q80?
i am located in the states, Xbox one x gaming, and some netflix, blu rays, sports viewing.
For me personally, I liked the idea of the one connect box and whilst I didnt have huge concerns about burn in, but thought I may run the risk as I do sometimes have the same news channel on for a few hours at a time so opted for a non OLED

I've just bought a Samsung q80r QLED TV, the motherboard is getting quite hot after playing HDR content. The HDMI ports also make a slight whining sound when on standby, is this something to be worried about?

Also is it normal to be able to hear the LED backlight operating in a silent room? If I play HDR content on Netflix with the volume muted I can hear the hum of the LED backlights operating.

I've just bought a Samsung q80r QLED TV, the motherboard is getting quite hot after playing HDR content. The HDMI ports also make a slight whining sound when on standby, is this something to be worried about?
I haven't heard anything, even when the speakers are muted - but my hearing isn't 100%.
Mine gets quite warm around the connections area and I've seen mention of the One Box getting hot. I haven't had any HDR content to play - I should look for some 4k hdr on line, possibly YouTube.

I haven't heard anything, even when the speakers are muted - but my hearing isn't 100%.
Mine gets quite warm around the connections area and I've seen mention of the One Box getting hot. I haven't had any HDR content to play - I should look for some 4k hdr on line, possibly YouTube.
Gives me hope that your set also gets warm around the connection area, maybe it's just normal, as for the HDMI sound the set has to be on standby.

If one of your main uses is Gaming then I'd stay away from OLED for risk of burn in. Gaming with static on screen HUD's must be one of the biggest causes of burn in for people with OLED's that use it a lot for gaming.

Personally I'm in the market for a new TV and won't even consider an OLED because I game a lot. I was previously considering the LG Nanocell SM9000 or SM9800 as has HDMI 2.1, but apparently the FALD performance is poor, so now likely to go for the Q80R.

If one of your main uses is Gaming then I'd stay away from OLED for risk of burn in. Gaming with static on screen HUD's must be one of the biggest causes of burn in for people with OLED's that use it a lot for gaming.

Personally I'm in the market for a new TV and won't even consider an OLED because I game a lot. I was previously considering the LG Nanocell SM9000 or SM9800 as has HDMI 2.1, but apparently the FALD performance is poor, so now likely to go for the Q80R.
I am not so worried about burn in. People make it out to be a lot crazier than it is. I do vary my content a bit and most new age games have pixels refreshing or HUDS adapting, changing or going off the screen. And settings can refresh them. The tests that RTINGS and others have done is like an insane amount of hours of the static content. It’s hard not to consider them because the picture is just insane.

I am not so worried about burn in. People make it out to be a lot crazier than it is. I do vary my content a bit and most new age games have pixels refreshing or HUDS adapting, changing or going off the screen. And settings can refresh them. The tests that RTINGS and others have done is like an insane amount of hours of the static content. It’s hard not to consider them because the picture is just insane.

I dont go by RTINGS and such sites, but by the numerous real life examples. I'm sure many of those thought they'd been careful with their tv too... Each to their own but its a very real risk so nobody's making it out to be anything it isn't , it's just a fact it can occur. Personally, im not prepared to pay well over a thousand pounds on something that might be damaged beyond repair far too quickly.

I dont go by RTINGS and such sites, but by the numerous real life examples. I'm sure many of those thought they'd been careful with their tv too... Each to their own but its a very real risk so nobody's making it out to be anything it isn't , it's just a fact it can occur. Personally, im not prepared to pay well over a thousand pounds on something that might be damaged beyond repair far too quickly.
I understand and I don’t blame you. I’d hate to pay $2000 and have it damaged. I just feel you’ll hear more complain about it than those who haven’t experienced it. But I am confident my variation of content would be fine. Again, depending on price I’m waiting to see

I understand and I don’t blame you. I’d hate to pay $2000 and have it damaged. I just feel you’ll hear more complain about it than those who haven’t experienced it. But I am confident my variation of content would be fine. Again, depending on price I’m waiting to see

Yeah but equally if i pay premium price for something i dont want to then not be able to use it in the way such a product should be able to be used because it cant handle it. If many people use it as defined by your normal viewing / user preferences it will in mamy cases be effectively ruined within 2 years. To me thats a product not fit for purpose and a backward step. A premium tv shouldnt need babysitting or a user have to think, damn i really want to keep playing this game but cant because the tv might get burn in so ill have to turn it off ...

Like buying a supposed top end car but being told you can only drive it for short journeys at a time or it might get irreparable engine failure....

Yeah but equally if i pay premium price for something i dont want to then not be able to use it in the way such a product should be able to be used because it cant handle it. If many people use it as defined by your normal viewing / user preferences it will in mamy cases be effectively ruined within 2 years. To me thats a product not fit for purpose and a backward step. A premium tv shouldnt need babysitting or a user have to think, damn i really want to keep playing this game but cant because the tv might get burn in so ill have to turn it off ...

Like buying a supposed top end car but being told you can only drive it for short journeys at a time or it might get irreparable engine failure....
I understand, but I don't think it will need babying for my purposes. and i spoke to many folks and they have not had any issues.

UPDATE:
the Q80R is now $1699 (and the B9 is $1999). these are very tempting prices right now

Just had my 65 q80r delivered coming from a Samsung d7000 that’s worn out was going go for a LG c9 as I don’t game but a65 is way more moneyI have found some settings on line but would like to hear every body else’s try get something good straight off or are they good out the box

I understand, but I don't think it will need babying for my purposes. and i spoke to many folks and they have not had any issues.

UPDATE:
the Q80R is now $1699 (and the B9 is $1999). these are very tempting prices right now
Get the B9. My Q80r is already falling apart, only had it 2 weeks.

Falling apart??!
Genuinely, the glue holding the panel to the frame is falling off because of the heat the TV produces, a capacitor is failing on the motherboard which causes an annoying whining sound when the set is in stanby. To top it off it has terrible dse and a dead pixel. Honestly give this TV another month of use tops before it catches fire or just dies.

Genuinely, the glue holding the panel to the frame is falling off because of the heat the TV produces, a capacitor is failing on the motherboard which causes an annoying whining sound when the set is in stanby. To top it off it has terrible dse and a dead pixel. Honestly give this TV another month of use tops before it catches fire or just dies.

Well I think you should get a replacement asap!

As for DSE I think mine might have some or some uniformity. Is there a particular video I could play that would show if it has?

Well I think you should get a replacement asap!

As for DSE I think mine might have some or some uniformity. Is there a particular video I could play that would show if it has?
I've been through so many TVs at this point it isn't worth the stress, just going to cut my losses and see how long it lasts. If it's still working in 2020 I'll be shocked. As for dirty screen effect if you can't see it in content don't go looking for it. If you really want to see though type in modernwize on YouTube. He has a good test that will highlight it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom