Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Does this Tv (Q80/85r ) have VRR or just Freesync ?
i see the Q80t has this option ,im guessing all 2021 models have this option too ?

Roggster

10.5 months in and I think my 65” Q85R has got poorly sick 😞
Small shadow mid way down the right hand side that I can’t unsee.
Here’s a pic with a full white screen (from browser on pc).

Anyone seen this part of thing develop before?
60E2B139-CCCD-41D8-A188-D3EE0756EEE0.jpeg

Rabo1234

10.5 months in and I think my 65” Q85R has got poorly sick 😞
Small shadow mid way down the right hand side that I can’t unsee.
Here’s a pic with a full white screen (from browser on pc).

Anyone seen this part of thing develop before?View attachment 1458598
That does not look so good. I complained to samsung and they are ordering repair parts to replace the screen, you should do the same

almightygoodgod

RIP my Q85R

My TV stopped outputting an arc signal a few days ago and after nearly two hours the technician admitted defeat. They have none in stock to replace it with so are going to refund me the money. At the moment I think I'm going to go for the Q95T as a replacement.

Andii_Vamp

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me out with an issue I seem to have when in game mode on my Q85R. It happens on all my consoles (Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and also on my PS5).

If I am in Game Mode, I get this horrible ghosting/white outline around trees when I move the camera around. Happens with rocks, or pretty much any environment and any game. The only thing enabled on the game mode is game mode itself with input signal plus for HDR. I don't use the other settings like freesync etc, although I have tested with the other options on too, and still the same weird ghosting/white outlines etc. Noticed more at night time in a game, or dark areas.

If I switch game mode off however, I don't get any of that, so I was wondering if there's something up with Game Mode on my TV.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'd like to leave the game mode on to cut down on input lag, but it just looks horrible for me with it enabled, compared to other Samsung TVs I have had in the past with Game mode.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that may know what I am trying to describe :)

Maybe I am just setting it all up wrong, I don't know but any help is appreciated.

Roggster

That’s my experience with game mode too. It’s hopeless so I don’t bother with it. Apart from the sh*tty picture you can’t set the hdr settings on most games either - you know where you have to adjust until an image disappears into the background? No chance...

Andii_Vamp

That’s my experience with game mode too. It’s hopeless so I don’t bother with it. Apart from the sh*tty picture you can’t set the hdr settings on most games either - you know where you have to adjust until an image disappears into the background? No chance...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's not good in Game Mode at all. I did wonder if it was just my TV, but thanks again for the reply.

Andii_Vamp

I have the Q85R and PS5. Never noticed this. Play on game mode

Would it be something to do with the size of the panel, which would affect it more? I ask, as I have no clue. I have a 65 inch Q85R. It's very noticeable to me when using game mode, but with Game Mode off, I don't get the ghosting.

darpalu

Novice Member
Anyone have any issues with sound using the q85r and a PS5? (HDMI in Port 4 on the OneConnect box)

Sometimes when i switch my PS5 on, i can't hear any sound from the starting screen or any sound in games i play (controller speaker works fine)

The only way around it is to restart the PS5.

Owner of the 65Q85R UK here

I am still having this issue on both port 4 or port 1, either there is no video or there is no sound...
Either cold start or resume rest mode.

As suggested here, I am forced to restart the TV with a long press of the start button on the remote and then it magically works...

Do you think this will ever be solved by Samsung? They don`t exactly have the best track records in terms of support...

I bought this TV mostly for gaming and I found this bug really annoying...I will wait this phantomatic March update but what if it is not solved?

Do you think if I call the customer service I can ask to send the TV back and have a refund? (I am still within the 12 months of warranty).

makershaker

I have the same problem.. I just quickly change to a different 'source' then back again and the sound works.

Whats the update coming in March?

Last edited:

Rabo1234

My repair has been delayed, we will see how this plays out. In the meanwhile CRAZY blooming in HDR movies. Pretty much unwatchable. This is a over exposed pic even then it does not capture all the blooming.

Attachments

• 5F37E4D6-E1B9-41E4-99BB-3A9BDB8C5C88.jpeg
    5F37E4D6-E1B9-41E4-99BB-3A9BDB8C5C88.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 66

Rabo1234

With local dimming set to Standard. Contrast enhancer at low and gamma at -1 i get no distracting blooming and a pretty good picture. Of course highlights dont pop as much and the picture is a little darker and washed out but with more shadow detail. Its a solution but not a good one. Has to be something wrong with my panel.

Marcuzani

Standard Member
Got lots of blooming on my panel as well. Feels worse than when it was new in october. And somehow I get audio loss when switching HDMI input (PS5).
Has to hold down off button to restart TV. Anyone else experiencing this?

makershaker

Got lots of blooming on my panel as well. Feels worse than when it was new in october. And somehow I get audio loss when switching HDMI input (PS5).
Has to hold down off button to restart TV. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have the same problem.. I just quickly change to a different 'source' then back again and the sound works.

Rabo1234

Update:

2 weeks without any repair parts and samsung picked up the tv today. He said they would probably issue me a refund. I paid 21 990 swedish sek, aprox 1864 £

I can get the 75” q95t for 25 900 sek = 2200 £ plus a free galaxy tab worth 4290 sek = 363 £. My current no gap wall mount fits de q95t so that would be very convinient and i really like the antiglare coating since my room is super bright. Also the tv looks pretty damn good.

On the orther hand, samsung is samsung and i hear about wierd bugs, wierd firmware hand bad DSE on the q95t. Also no dts support and only one hdmi 2.1. Wierd audio lip sync issues in dd 5.1?

i would have gone with a sony but the blooming seems worse, even if my q85r looked horrible bloomingwise. If the 950h would havr hdmi 2.1 it would have been a no brainer.

the x900h seems lika a bit of a downgrade från q85r, bad reflection handling limited brightness limited dimming zones etc.

suggestions?

Marcuzani

Standard Member
Update:

2 weeks without any repair parts and samsung picked up the tv today. He said they would probably issue me a refund. I paid 21 990 swedish sek, aprox 1864 £

I can get the 75” q95t for 25 900 sek = 2200 £ plus a free galaxy tab worth 4290 sek = 363 £. My current no gap wall mount fits de q95t so that would be very convinient and i really like the antiglare coating since my room is super bright. Also the tv looks pretty damn good.

On the orther hand, samsung is samsung and i hear about wierd bugs, wierd firmware hand bad DSE on the q95t. Also no dts support and only one hdmi 2.1. Wierd audio lip sync issues in dd 5.1?

i would have gone with a sony but the blooming seems worse, even if my q85r looked horrible bloomingwise. If the 950h would havr hdmi 2.1 it would have been a no brainer.

the x900h seems lika a bit of a downgrade från q85r, bad reflection handling limited brightness limited dimming zones etc.

suggestions?
Q95T sounds like a nice tradeoff to me. Or you can get refound and wait a few weeks for the 2021 models.

Daymikej

Novice Member
Update:

suggestions?
If mine broke and could not be repaired I would go with a LG OLED as my room is not that bright. The HDR quality on the Q85R still bugs me with certain shows on Netflix, Prime etc. I have never been completely satisfied. My gut feel is these problems will still be present in the 2020 models but I have not seen them so can't be certain. Extra dimming zones will likely help though.

If you don't want to go down the OLED route then I recommend doing your research and reading forums before jumping into something that you will be disappointed with, be it Samsung, Sony or others. If you can see something in the flesh then even better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021