Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

aoaaron

i wanna get the 75 inch but does it have vertical banding on horizontal shots secondary to the backlight?

rushy7

Any one tried the recording feature yet I find it a bit hit and miss
Also mine came with 12 months warrenty any idea how I can extend this
Thanks

Emc86

my q80r comes tuesday from amazon ,anything want me to test? will test game motion vs freesync

aoaaron

my q80r comes tuesday from amazon ,anything want me to test? will test game motion vs freesync
can u test if the blooming and halo effect in dark scenes with black bars

rushy7

had the 55" q80r for the weekend and must admit im very impressed.Coming from a 49" ks8000
,which was also very good,the black levels ,sound ,hdr performance are all excellent really pleased with the tv
Just hd recording seems to miss the odd program

peppadapig69

Interested in the 65" Q85 as I can pick one up for £1800 but my concern is the stand and a Q80 soundbar. My TV stand wouldn't allow the soundbar to be placed in front of the stand, so can soundbars be placed behind the silver front of the Samsung stand?

SephK85

Novice Member
Does anyone know if the Q85R has the same 6ms reponse times as the q90r without VRR?
Very torn between them both but the Q85R is nearly a grand cheaper.
This will primarily be used as a PC gaming screen so reflections, brightness and blooming are very important as well.

Darksaberx

Got my 65 inch Q85r. The purchase was made because of the free Q70r soundbar added with several Q TV models.

Did not want to pay 800 Eur extra for the Q90r, so settled on the Q85r.

Have to say not much of an improvement over my two year old Sony x900e.
Even though, the reflection handling and viewing angles are really impressive, the HDR performance was not. As per some review sites, the Q85r has more than 300+ nits brightness in real scene performance over my old Sony, I was struggling to see the difference and to enjoy HDR.

The one connect box cable did not want to stay in the grooves on the back of the TV and the stand, that was truly annoying (the TV is currently on a stand and awaiting to be wall mounted).

Also, the gaming mode introduces visible colour banding on solid objects on my Nintendo switch games (Mario odyssey for example). Could not fix it with the available settings. Switching to other picture modes eliminates the problem instantly, however, you have increased input lag in other modes.

The "smooth gradation" option, found on my old Sony, would be a god send here.

rushy7

Hi ,ive got the 55" q80r and i must admit i love it!! one problem ive having though is my 256gb usb 3.0 stick sometimes disconnects and then reconnects,once i had to format the drive as it was not readable either in the tv or on a pc .any ideas?
thanks

Wobag

Has anyone connected bluetooth headphones to theirs yet, this is a must have feature for me.

lyonp139

Standard Member
Hi all

Thinking about upgrading my ue46f7000 to a 65” Q80R, but interested to hear any views on the anti reflective screen tech that Samsung have on this set. The room it will be going into is quite bright during the day so was hoping this will improve matters a bit.

Thanks

CjRob17

Novice Member
Was trying to decide on whether to go with the Q90 or the Q85. So here is my little review on intial thoughts.

Went to different stores and looked at the TV's side by side in different environments and there didn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the 2. They both ran the same content so was kinda difficult to see much difference between the 2 for my eyes.

I wanted to get a 75" as I dont plan on upgrading the TV again for a while. managed to get the 75Q85R for £2900 where the 75Q90R was £3999 so I just couldnt see a grand worth of difference in the TV's.

My initial thoughts (coming from a 40" 5 year old 1080p TV)
Box Arrived, Holy damn what have I done?!
Super excited to get into the box and see what it looks like but had some DIY around the house to complete so had to put it off for a night. It was eating at me staring at the box and knowing I cant actually use it yet.

Wall Mounting: Bought a Sanus BLT2 mount as I wanted some Tilt and movement if needed and because it sits in between a mounted TV wall unit I didnt want some angles to be blocked so pulling it out slightly is a bonus. Mounted the bracket, piece of cake to brick wall.
Mounted the brackets to the TV and then picking up the TV, damn its heavy but went on fairly straight forward.

Connected up the OneConnect box. cool little feature. really like the fact there is only one cable going to the TV which is hidden anyway behind the trunking in the wall but makes life easier having all my cables in the TV unit cupboard and all connections there.

Turned the TV on and damn its bright. Setup was simple. followed the steps got to TV.
But now what, what content do I use on this 'beastly' TV? I wondered and loaded up Netflix and put on Planet Earth II (I think which said was 4k) and sat there for a while just being mind blown. No settings changed on the TV and was just blown away at the quality straight out the box.

So far it feels worth it, but only have an hour or 2 watching.
Now I need to play with settings.

Any advice or links as to what kind of settings people usually turn off or on?

JamesDavison

after a few days it went away buying tv cleaner soon any recommendations
Was it 2nd hand?

It says in the manual to use microfiber cloth but for stubborn marks to use screen cleaner. Maybe use the spray you can get to clean touch screen devices?

Silly question probably but does the TV do 3D? Doesn't say it does but thought all TVs would nowadays

Emc86

Was it 2nd hand?

It says in the manual to use microfiber cloth but for stubborn marks to use screen cleaner. Maybe use the spray you can get to clean touch screen devices?

Silly question probably but does the TV do 3D? Doesn't say it does but thought all TVs would nowadays
I still have my tv cleaner from old sony x810c from best buy. I'm buying Amazon's choice next

NINiki

Novice Member
Our old Sharp Aquos has been switching itself off and an (and off and on!) for several months, and all research showed that I'd be VERY unhappy with a cheap tv (I'm really sensitive to flicker and ghosting).
Really wanted to go for an LG OLEC, but didn't have the cash upfront to do it and all the finance deals stank.
The Samsung upgrade program and 4 years 0apr finally pulled me over to Samsung, though still sobbing a bit at how Samsung is sticking their heads in the sand re Dolby Vision and Atmos (LG are miles ahead in that respect. Why on earth would I spend a fortune on an Atmos sound system only for Samsung to have to compress it to send via ARC... Oh yeah, 0apr!).

So my 65" Q85R is due to arrive on Wednesday.

Really hope they do go ahead with the muttered speculation of upgrading the Q90R and Q85R to eARC.

Still, excited at the prospect of a new techie toy nonetheless - I am SUCH a nerd :)

I've been able to find lots of calibration guides for the Q80r and Q90R, but no luck yet with the q85... If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

mark1000

Had my 55q80 for 2 weeks now and have to say i'm not very happy with it, picture is fine except for the anti reflection coating used, my room is south facing and as soon as the sun sweeps around mid afternoon you see these rainbow and super bright streaks across the whole screen obliterating the picture, the fix is to draw all the curtains turning the room into a cave.

The other problem is the sound, issue 1, on all the inputs inc my pc, pvr and the tv built in smart apps i get some break up in the sound, i'll admit it's minimal not on all material but when it happens it ruins the whole experience, i have watched a youtube video from my pc with sound breakup then watched the same video through the app without issue and vise versa, then watched another video on my xbox youtube app and get the issue again, it makes no sense, all my equipment has been working 100% with my lg oled that the qled replaced.

Issue 2, the sub seems to have a mind of it's own, one moment speech is clear and rich, then very bass heavy and muffled then back to normal all in the space of a few seconds, you can rewind the video and the issue is gone, just can't figure it out.
Touch wood the sound issue has been ok for 2 days making me feel like it's me, i'm reluctant to call john lewis just yet because if i cant reliably repeat the issue i'll look like a fraud.

Anyone have similar issue.

JamesDavison

Yeah I also don't think the anti reflective coating is that good, but this is a problem with all TVs nowadays I believe? When I've looked at OLEDs they are even worse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here....

Emc86

Yeah I also don't think the anti reflective coating is that good, but this is a problem with all TVs nowadays I believe? When I've looked at OLEDs they are even worse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here....
I dont notice any reflections on the tv q80r in my room light on or off atleast mine as of right now .

moby1974

Novice Member
Hi
Odd thing I have found, while playing God Of War on PS4, some blue lights were really overblown.
So in the games HDR settings I had to knock the contrast down from 50 to 30 (left tv as it should be)
Looks great and all, just found it odd, but then by random chance, I was looking at 4k stuff on Amazon Prime, all looked good, but I happen to watch that silly JCVD show, 2nd episode where at one point he hold a paint brush like it's a lightsabre (no joke) and omg the brush light is so overblown, colour coming off it way too much, and it's just the brush.
I had to knock contrast from 50 to like 25 before I could make out all the detail that should be on the brush.
All my 4k movies seem fine, just odd issue with a game trying to show a bright blue light, and now a tv show showing same blue colour.
Tried every option to see what effect they have, the only thing that calms it down, is dropping contrast or gamma.

Bluecube

Novice Member
Got a strange issue with mine. I’ve paired it to a N950 soundbar which was working fine till the update to 1012 I think it was. Since then I’ve had to set non 5.1 TV shows to PCM in order to hear speech. All background sound is fine. If I connect the soundbar to the TV by Bluetooth then all the audio is fine - it’s just the audio sent by HDMI.

Anyone else had similar issues?