Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
A0ECFA22-0C6E-42C0-8840-2DA78A71DCAC.jpeg
ECF6DCEE-16E3-40D6-9D16-A6256DE9385F.jpeg
It is time to start an owner thread too similar to the Q90r one. Top picture q85r, bottom Q80R

Some good news from an owner in USA:
Update on my Q80
Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.
Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.
1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.
2. I have FIOS and the upscaling is very good.
3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.
4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)
5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.
6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.
7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.
8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.
Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase

Last edited:

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
HELLO , HELLo , HELlo , HEllo , Hello ,hello .. yep same as the Q90R no owners.
At least we can share updates here
Like Steve may said, this could be the sweet spot if priced right (discounted)

clydebest

Distinguished Member
At least we can share updates here
Like Steve may said, this could be the sweet spot if priced right (discounted)
Yep if i am going 65 inch it would be the Q85R i would get a baby Q90R all i want is solid info on pricing and release date.. i guess like the rest of you .. i just do not get how the Germans, Dutch, French , Spanish ... website have it .. but us and the Italians pre-register and sod all else.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
That actually sounds good- plus the price is a lot more palatable!

So, is this the new Q8FN?
Yes sir, you have one in USA and we have two versions in U.K.
both should have the 96 zones but the contrast rating varies from x6 to x8. European version q85r has outside box like Q90r and priced steep...very steep.

encaser

Distinguished Member
@Goldorak You need pictures of the sets at the top of your post - with/out OCB. We're not heathens, darling.

Last edited:

dr no

Please don't make owners thread until we have at least one owner
Otherwise you just end with a lot of fluff and time passing comments

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Please don't make owners thread until we have at least one owner
Otherwise you just end with a lot of fluff and time passing comments
Understood sir
I wanted to give positive input from a USA owner but see your point. Thread on standby...

Mike Tizen

Last edited:

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Q85R vs Q7FN Samsung 2019 QLED tv's te koop in Nederland en België (Google Translate)
View attachment 1128939
(is the dimming even on on the Q7?)

View attachment 1128940(image overexposed to better show the difference)

View attachment 1128941
Not really fair comparison
Contradicting Vincent, Q80 seems to have same zones as q70...but with 1500 nits
Don’t know who to believe but that could explain the x6
If the 55q90 is x10 then xf85 at x8 is a no brainer as long as differential is 500-600 between them

chopples

Looks nice from those pics but wouldn't they have been better using a comparible 2018 fald set like the q8dn?

Cheers

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Doesn’t matter. We need reviews and good price discounts...let the hunt begin :)