Samsung Q85R or Q90R

jh3000

Novice Member
Dear all

I'm trying to decide between the 55 inch versions of the Samsung Q85R or Q90R, priced at 1000 or 1400 respectively. I like the look of the Q90R and it seems spec is slightly better, but for the same money I could get the Q85R and a sonos soundbar. Looking at the reviews there doesn't seem a great deal between the 2 tvs so would i better Q85R and Sonos sound bar or Q90R. Head says first, heart says q90r

jh3000

Novice Member
Thanks for your replay. Sorry I should have given you more info

Room is bright in the morning, average by late afternoon or evening.

Mostly netflix, amazon, movies etc...

Do some gaming but I'm not sure a nintendo switch counts.

I was impressed by the one connect system in the samsung. Want to fix to wall but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

Dodgexander

Which technology do you like the sound of better?
Do some gaming but I'm not sure a nintendo switch counts.
Are you planning on buying a next gen PS5 or Xbox?
Room is bright in the morning, average by late afternoon or evening.
This tells us how your room is during these times, but not when you use the TV. What kind of conditions will you mainly be using the TV in?
Mostly netflix, amazon, movies etc...
This tells us what services you and that you like movies, but doesn't mention anything about the quality of content you use. Do you intend to watch content that is in UHD and HDR on Amazon and Netflix? How do you usually watch movies? Do you mean you intend to buy UHD Blu-Ray discs?

jh3000

Novice Member
This is very useful to break it down in this way.

Hmm interesting to see the comparisons side by side. It kinda makes OLED sound more impressive with the major downside being burn in. I read on here that burn in is not really an issue however it would be nice not to have to worry about it which is a + for the QLED. As I said I like the connect box on the samsung also and so would maybe considering aesthetics and convenience over picture quality.

Will mostly be using the TV in the evening, to watch Netflix and Amazon in UHD. Also enjoy UHD wildlife flims. I can't imagine getting a blu-ray player at this point. Daytime watching usually with child or the news so quality not really an issue. Will say that when i watch films I usually have the subtitles on. Watch sports / football on occasion.

No plan to get a XBOX or PS5 but that might change so would keep that option open maybe.

Thanks

Dodgexander

If you decide to go with one of the LCD TVs you might prefer the Q90R with subtitles as it has more dimming zones, so you should see less blooming. Unlike the Q85R the Q90R can also support VRR at 120hz which is part of the new HDMI 2.1 spec, although the ports it uses are not true HDMI 2.1. The Q85R is limited to 60hz.

VRR may never be of importance to you though, depends if you game in the future with a compatible console or computer.

One of the reasons people like the LG OLEDs is down to their HDMI 2.1 compatibility, they have true HDMI 2.1 ports and therefore a lot more features are supported.

You should be able to see if HDMI 2.1 will be important to you or not based on the features it brings. It will never be the case you won't be able to use a HDMI 2.0 TV with a HDMI 2.1 device, it will always work fine, just without the optional extras.

brewerdave

Standard Member
I've been agonising for at least 6 months on replacing my 51" plasma - been looking at Samsung Q series vs OLED. What finally set me against OLED was the horrendous amount of reflections from the screen of a LG B9 when I viewed a few weeks ago at a relation's house in the daytime. It was almost unwatchable in moderately bright daylight. My plasma set isn't good in bright daylight but the OLED seemed much worse.

Dodgexander

My plasma set isn't good in bright daylight but the OLED seemed much worse.
I think the conditions at your relations house are more responsible for this than the OLED.

An OLED can get as much as 5x brighter than old plasma TVs and if its a recent model (2016 onwards) they have great anti reflective coating.

You can see reviews on rtings.com for reflections. Only the very latest high end Samsung LCD TVs rank better.

VAblklvs249

Dear all

I'm trying to decide between the 55 inch versions of the Samsung Q85R or Q90R, priced at 1000 or 1400 respectively. I like the look of the Q90R and it seems spec is slightly better, but for the same money I could get the Q85R and a sonos soundbar. Looking at the reviews there doesn't seem a great deal between the 2 tvs so would i better Q85R and Sonos sound bar or Q90R. Head says first, heart says q90r
I was going down the road with Sonos, only to find out DTS is blocked, and you could end up with a brick if DTS bothers you !

FBhoy86

Novice Member
I was going down the road with Sonos, only to find out DTS is blocked, and you could end up with a brick if DTS bothers you !
DTS Blocked? Please could you explain? I have the Q90R and I have the new Sonos Arc on pre-order. Are you saying then that this is a bad combination?

Dodgexander

DTS Blocked? Please could you explain? I have the Q90R and I have the new Sonos Arc on pre-order. Are you saying then that this is a bad combination?
Samsung don't support DTS audio over ARC. It shouldn't matter though unless you plan on using DTS audio built in to the TV.

All streaming apps on the TV using Dolby Digital, which I'm guessing is part of the reason they dumped DTS support.

What sources do you have that will use DTS audio? How do you plan to connect everything up?