Samsung Q85R 4K QLED TV Review & Comments

Does anyone know if it crushes blacks too like Q70R does? I just bought a 75 inch q70r and not happy with how dark the screen is, HDR is terrible.
The
Does anyone know if it crushes blacks too like Q70R does? I just bought a 75 inch q70r and not happy with how dark the screen is, HDR is terrible.

Have you had it calibrated?

The

Have you had it calibrated?

not calibrated but did try to tweak the settings.HDR is dull it makes it too dark unless Iset the dynamic contrast to low. But still anything dark in the scene is just crushed. Night scenes become too Dark.

A pro calibration is expensive, but it’s the only way to be certain you’re spot on; doing it by eye and experiment is very likely to mish one bit and mash another.

Worth the price for a calibration if you intend to keep the tv for years.

(Especially as I’ve seen some TVs reviewed here with appalling out of the box settings).

Just ordered me a 65 inch Q85R

been watching some HDR on my Dads TV he purchased recently, have to say I was super disapointed with the blooming even on the black bars with HDR - and this was with full local dimming deployed, from all the reviews i've read the black bars are suppoed to remain inky black in all cercumstances, this is clearly not the case, my 4 year old LG OLED looked better in a dark room than this does, super disapointed as I was thinking of picking one of these up at some point for my second TV, makes more sense to get a base model OLED.

been watching some HDR on my Dads TV he purchased recently, have to say I was super disapointed with the blooming even on the black bars with HDR - and this was with full local dimming deployed, from all the reviews i've read the black bars are suppoed to remain inky black in all cercumstances, this is clearly not the case, my 4 year old LG OLED looked better in a dark room than this does, super disapointed as I was thinking of picking one of these up at some point for my second TV, makes more sense to get a base model OLED.

I have the Q85R - I am very susceptible to blooming (I returned the Sony X950G because of it). However, even in a pitch black room, the black bars on my Q85R remain completely black in 99.8% of situations (HDR and SDR) with 0.2% of demanding scenes causing very very minor shallow blooming which is completely offset with bias lighting.

Obviously an LED TV can't contest an OLED in this regard, but I've been extremely happy with the Q85R's performance (and I went through 3 TVs before settling on the Q85R).

to me the black bars didnt seem to inky black either, they were very dark but I could see them. With my OLED i have the wall behind it painted matt black, with all the lights off and LED power lights masked off all I see if the movie, its quite an experience, better than cinema visually at least.

I was hoping this TV would be a lot closer than it was, SDR was very good though.

I should say however my Dad absolutely loves it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review. JL have agreed to price match the Samsung QE65Q85R at £1499 so I am about to add to basket.

Out of curiosity, how much are you looking at for a professional calibration?

I am just about to buy this set, but... who on earth designed this stand? It seems to take up so much room (nearly 40cm front to back). Soundbar placement if front of it seems like it will really be an issue.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you solve it?

Hi guys I’ve been out of the loop with TVs for a while my q85 65 inch is coming next Saturday from Samsung.com.
i picked it up for £1349 with 2 years interest free which I though was a good deal.
i am upgrading from a 6 year old Samsung 1080p my question is do I need to change all my HDMI cables?
im running xbox one x PS4 and a pc through a1080 gtx card all going through yamaha Rx v677 I understand I might need to change this I’m looking at the pioneer str1080 oh and a standard sky box is also attached.
any advice would be great thanks.

Hi guys I’ve been out of the loop with TVs for a while my q85 65 inch is coming next Saturday from Samsung.com.
i picked it up for £1349 with 2 years interest free which I though was a good deal.

Lucky you, just looked to do the same. Now @£1599

Yes, in many respects a good TV.

HOWEVER, it is an absolute TURKEY on a couple of fronts.

The first is an irritation - it's incapable (most of the time) recording series. You go through the recordings jobby, if its a series it comes up with the 'record series' option - and then it records nothing except the first episode! This happens 90% of the time. I don't know who puts in the series links in the schedule (Samsung or Freesat), but someone, somewhere isn't doing their job!

The second issue is where it really becomes a turkey.
We have only one wall where we can put the TV (in front of an old unused fireplace). Its a North-west facing wall.
Once the sun comes round that side of the house most of the screen is covered by a rainbow of colours.

Samsung support advised me that it's to do with temperature and to move the tv so there is no light on it (so we're supposed to move the fishtank, cabinet, and two sofas so that it can have the north wall apparently). Funnily enough, if we keep it in a darkened room and fling the curtains open then it is immediately on there, even when the TV is off. There is no way it is anything other than the antiglare coating in my opinion.

NI is gloomy enough without having to close the curtains - they're going to have to be closed from noon to 11pm for summer watching. And only 3.5 years more to pay this turkey off.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_150543.jpg
    IMG_20200122_150543.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20200122_152001.jpg
    IMG_20200122_152001.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 318
I would imagine that is light being diffracted from the laminates or layers within the screen. I have the same if sun light or the room light is reflected off the screen, which is also mounted above a fireplace

Guess that is the trade off for the application of the anti reflective layers/ coating.

According to Samsung it's perfectly normal. Any future TVs I buy I'll be shining the phone torch on them to see if I get a starburst from them - and not buying if I do!

was looking to get a 75" version of this but stock seems to have dried up aside from a few available for 2999 will have to hold off me thinks till march /april see if anymore come in and the price drops otherwise it will be BF and next years models

Q85R owners i am looking for advice before I buy regarding SMART TV features and outputs with a projector (BenQ 1080)

1. Can the apps (Netflix etc) be output/streamed from the TV to a projector? If so recommended method please.
2. The projector will be in the same room- Can the TV screen be totally blanked with no light bleed from the TV in a dark room when playing the apps (Netflix etc).

Thanks in advance.

@Phil Hinton any chance you could test the Q85R and Q90R for (inverse)ghosting with HDR content when in game mode? My Q90R is being replaced for this, although I'm not convinced it isn't an issue with the screen/current firmware in general. I'd consider the Q85R if I could get some confirmation it doesn't suffer from the same. Thanks.

I have just bought the Q85R and confirm this has inverse ghosting while only in game mode, any idea what causes this? I will be mentioning this to Samsung as currently having a very big argument with them over an issue with hdr calibration on games, the white point does not match up and can not be matched no matter where you put the nit range more times than not.

Q85R owners i am looking for advice before I buy regarding SMART TV features and outputs with a projector (BenQ 1080)

1. Can the apps (Netflix etc) be output/streamed from the TV to a projector? If so recommended method please.
2. The projector will be in the same room- Can the TV screen be totally blanked with no light bleed from the TV in a dark room when playing the apps (Netflix etc).

Thanks in advance.
The tv doesn't have any video outputs as far as I know...

Hi ... local shop has a q85r for 1080€ 55” which is plenty since I have a small living room and it will be quite an upgrade from my 8y old 42” Panasonic tv..
the question is, at that price are there any other alternatives which could top it?

Hi ... local shop has a q85r for 1080€ 55” which is plenty since I have a small living room and it will be quite an upgrade from my 8y old 42” Panasonic tv..
the question is, at that price are there any other alternatives which could top it?

Depends - what price are LG oleds?

They have an LG OLED 55c9pla for 1324€, the flagship Q90R55 is just a little more 1350€... but not sure I want to spend 25% over the q85 for that one..

Yeah, Q85 is good value in that case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom