Samsung Q80T vs Sony XH9005

sauluk

I’ve read a few reviews but struggling between these two sets. Main use will be next gen gaming. I can get the Samsung for £879 (1yr guarantee) and the Sony for £929 (5yr guarantee).

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I’ve read a few reviews but struggling between these two sets. Main use will be next gen gaming. I can get the Samsung for £879 (1yr guarantee) and the Sony for £929 (5yr guarantee).
Both good sets but have different qualities in terms of picture and motion. I personally consider the Sony to be the better set and even if they were identical I would still pick the Sony due to the 5 year warranty.

sauluk

Thanks. I’d love to see the two side by side but no chance in this environment.

Bad motion processing is a pet hate, I’ve had to turn it all off on my LG C7. Maybe I should go for the Sony if theirs is best of the bunch

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I’d love to see the two side by side but no chance in this environment.

Bad motion processing is a pet hate, I’ve had to turn it all off on my LG C7. Maybe I should go for the Sony if theirs is best of the bunch
In that case I'd definitely say the Sony.

audiphile76

Few things to consider, Samsung does not support Dolby Vision but has higher brightness level for HDR content compared to the Sony. Also the Samsung is future proofed for next generation consoles with the connectivity. Sony however has better colors and does not have varying brightness levels in challenging scenes where a bright image is in a dark background. Samsung however is a superior set to Sony. If you consider HX95, then its better than Samsung.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Few things to consider, Samsung does not support Dolby Vision but has higher brightness level for HDR content compared to the Sony. Also the Samsung is future proofed for next generation consoles with the connectivity. Sony however has better colors and does not have varying brightness levels in challenging scenes where a bright image is in a dark background. Samsung however is a superior set to Sony. If you consider HX95, then its better than Samsung.
But not hdmi2.1...
I'm struggling to decide between the XH9005 and XH9505, I'm leaning towards the XH9005 for the hdmi2.1 4k/120 seems pretty broken on the XH9005 so maybe the XH9505 is the better option overall

Garnett

I'm looking at these two sets at the moment, and struggling to decide... Please can you elaborate on your comment that "the Samsung is future proofed for next generation consoles with the connectivity"

I understood that the Sony had some recent firmware upgrade that brought it in line with the Samsung (I can't remember what that was - I think possibly VRR support perhaps?) but I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to.

Also, most of what you've written seems fairly balanced between the two sets but then you end up saying, "Samsung however is a superior set to Sony." - are you talking in terms of build quality? Or something else?

thanks for any more info you can provide.

Dodgexander

I think he was mixing up the XH95 with the XH90.

The XH90 supports HDMI 2.1 like the Samsung Q80T, it has 2 instead of 1 port.

It does however have a known issue with 120hz 4k motion blur unlike the Samsung.

Neither TV really make the mark with HDR, so I'd recommend forfeiting HDMI 2.1 and going for the Sony XH95 or Hisense U8Q instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom