Samsung q80t, Sony x900h or other

Blackflag8

Novice Member
Hey everyone! I know this is a hot topic debate here but I'm looking at replacement of my living room TV. I'm replacing a Samsung 55in (UN55MU6300FXZA) 2017 model. For the room I have I do need to stick with a 55in as I think a 65 would be too big.

My environment and use for the tv is as follows. Living room with lots of windows and skylight so lots of natural light during the day. The skylight does shine down on it during the afternoon but no windows with direct reflection on the tv. However at night the room is fairly dark with just two side table lamps on. I do also have a sofa that is kinda off to the side of the tv if you are sitting at the end closest to the tv so it would need to have a decent view angle from there.

It is a multi use tv for gaming, blue ray movies, netflix, amazon, Disney plus, youtube. I do console gaming on xbox one x quite a bit and want to have something ready for next gen console at some point.

Ive done a lot of review reading, and watching and for my budget I have narrowed down between the Samsung Q80t and the Sony x900h. With that said I'm still looking for some input and actual users to determine which might be the best fit for me or if I'm even missing another option.

Any help and input is appreciated!

Dodgexander

Every TV will work with a next gen console, but which you go for depends how many HDMI features you want the TV to support and how important picture quality is compared to those features.

A TV like the Sony X900H has a good feature set for next gen gaming features with its HDMI 2.1 ports but its also not as good as the higher tier X950H with picture quality, in particular with lower quality sources and HDR because it lacks a dedicated picture processor and better HDR hardware.

The Q80T would be a good balance, better HDR and a single HDMI port. The Q90T would be a way to get good HDR like the X950H and good gaming features.

Spectator

Every TV will work with a next gen console, but which you go for depends how many HDMI features you want the TV to support and how important picture quality is compared to those features.

A TV like the Sony X900H has a good feature set for next gen gaming features with its HDMI 2.1 ports but its also not as good as the higher tier X950H with picture quality, in particular with lower quality sources and HDR because it lacks a dedicated picture processor and better HDR hardware.

The Q80T would be a good balance, better HDR and a single HDMI port. The Q90T would be a way to get good HDR like the X950H and good gaming features.

I'm thinking of replacing my 10 years old Sony 52" 1080p TV in couple of years. I watch it over 2,5 metres away, so there isn't a need for 4K in that sense. But I'd like a long-term upgrade at some point.

Do you think it's better to wait so Q90T will become affordable to me? I'd like to get the new TV under 900 euros. What I'm thinking is the HDR performance of these Q80T & X900H TV's. Do you think their HDR performance is good for the long-term?

What do you think about Dolby Vision vs HDR+ in long-term? I think the Samsung's are a bit better TV's, but don't have Dolby Vision.

My goal would be to get a TV that can potentially last for another 10 years. 8K makes no sense at all to me.

(Sorry if this seems like thread hijacking, but I think this will give information for both of us.)

Dodgexander

The Samsung Q80T is a step above the Sony X900H really, it can reach almost 1000 nits peak brightness and will bode better in the long term.

The sheer capability of the TV with HDR is more important than the formats it accepts. If a TV has better local dimming and peak brightness it will display HDR better even if its from a HDR source that's not supported. This is because HDR10 can be used with both Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+.

More future proof options are of course the Samsung Q90T or Sony X950H, they both have much better HDR picture quality.

Spectator

The Samsung Q80T is a step above the Sony X900H really, it can reach almost 1000 nits peak brightness and will bode better in the long term.

The sheer capability of the TV with HDR is more important than the formats it accepts. If a TV has better local dimming and peak brightness it will display HDR better even if its from a HDR source that's not supported. This is because HDR10 can be used with both Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+.

More future proof options are of course the Samsung Q90T or Sony X950H, they both have much better HDR picture quality.

Thanks a lot, this was important information!

I would be inclined to buy Sony again because I know at least 2 cases where their TV's have lasted over 10 years very well.

But now it looks like my next TV will be Samsung. They support 1440p 120hz, while Sony doesn't.

They also have the Ambient Mode which consumes ~30 % of full power, and I can show my photos there easily. Sony has some ways to do this, but there are no guarantees how much power it consumes etc.

Are you saying Q90T has better HDR performance even without taking HDR10+ into account?

Do you have any guesses will Q90T be under 900 euros at any point, or will there be a new release and it will never go this low?

Dodgexander

The Sony XH9505 has only 4x HDMI 2.0 ports so can do 1080p 120hz. You can also force a custom 1440p 120hz with a computer, but not console.

The Samsung models have a single HDMI 2.1 port, and on that port can display 120hz at 4k resolution.
The Sony XH9005 despite being a lower tier model than the X950H has 2x HDMI 2.1 ports but also has a know problem with blur at this resolution and refresh rate.

Basically what I'm saying is the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T are about equal with HDR performance. The formats the TV accepts comes secondary to how much difference a better overall TV makes to picture quality, so despite the Q90T not having Dolby Vision it will look more impressive than the Sony XH9005 with Dolby Vision because its a better overall TV.

Same is true the other way round, the Sony XH9505 despite not having HDR10+ will look more impressive than the Q80T because its a better TV.

In the UK last year the Q85R which is most similar to the new Q90T dropped to £800 before it sold out in spring time. I'd expecting similar again from the Q90T. Prices are different in different regions though, generally in mainland Europe they are better.

So will it get as low as 900 EUR? I'm not certain, but I'd probably say around 1000 EUR is already a very good price.

Spectator

The Sony XH9505 has only 4x HDMI 2.0 ports so can do 1080p 120hz. You can also force a custom 1440p 120hz with a computer, but not console.

The Samsung models have a single HDMI 2.1 port, and on that port can display 120hz at 4k resolution.
The Sony XH9005 despite being a lower tier model than the X950H has 2x HDMI 2.1 ports but also has a know problem with blur at this resolution and refresh rate.

Basically what I'm saying is the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T are about equal with HDR performance. The formats the TV accepts comes secondary to how much difference a better overall TV makes to picture quality, so despite the Q90T not having Dolby Vision it will look more impressive than the Sony XH9005 with Dolby Vision because its a better overall TV.

Same is true the other way round, the Sony XH9505 despite not having HDR10+ will look more impressive than the Q80T because its a better TV.

In the UK last year the Q85R which is most similar to the new Q90T dropped to £800 before it sold out in spring time. I'd expecting similar again from the Q90T. Prices are different in different regions though, generally in mainland Europe they are better.

So will it get as low as 900 EUR? I'm not certain, but I'd probably say around 1000 EUR is already a very good price.

Hey man, you're a life saviour. These kind of things are not mentioned in the reviews, and I read a lot before investing. Looks like I will buy either Q80T or Q90T.

Do you happen to know any differences in the longevity of products between brands? Like I "know" Sony's seem to last a long time in TV department. Or any studies?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Do you happen to know any differences in the longevity of products between brands? Like I "know" Sony's seem to last a long time in TV department. Or any studies?
Really nothing in it, if one person says X is more reliable than Y its because of their own experiences. Neither stand out as being more reliable.

Spectator

Really nothing in it, if one person says X is more reliable than Y its because of their own experiences. Neither stand out as being more reliable.

Good to hear. I haven't read the forums at all about complains. Just know my own preference, which has a lot of other attributes to consider in addition so I'm inclined towards Samsung now.

Blackflag8

Novice Member
Thank you guys for all the feed back and info!

Not sure how soon I am actually going to be upgrading. Me and my wife had just started looking into one as a Xmas gift for ourselves. Sometime between now and the beginning of the new year though for sure. If we can budget for it or prices swing enough I would prefer to just get the q90t. But if not the q80t seems to be catching my attention over the Sony. Right now most places are running out of stock on all of them anyway.

Dodgexander

Not sure how soon I am actually going to be upgrading. Me and my wife had just started looking into one as a Xmas gift for ourselves. Sometime between now and the beginning of the new year though for sure. If we can budget for it or prices swing enough I would prefer to just get the q90t. But if not the q80t seems to be catching my attention over the Sony. Right now most places are running out of stock on all of them anyway.
Beware that a lot of what you read on here will be talking about the European Q80T which is not the same as the American model. The American Q80T is a much better overall TV that gets a bit nearer to the Sony X950H than in Europe.

Still though, you're looking at the Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T being top tier with the Samsung Q80T a tier below.

Other options such as the TCL R635, Hisense H9G and Vizio P series are about equal overall to the Samsung Q80T whilst the Vizio P Quantum X is up there with the Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T.

Spectator

Beware that a lot of what you read on here will be talking about the European Q80T which is not the same as the American model. The American Q80T is a much better overall TV that gets a bit nearer to the Sony X950H than in Europe.

Still though, you're looking at the Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T being top tier with the Samsung Q80T a tier below.

Other options such as the TCL R635, Hisense H9G and Vizio P series are about equal overall to the Samsung Q80T whilst the Vizio P Quantum X is up there with the Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T.

How is the Q80T American version better?

Do you have an explanation as to why American versions are better? Or why those TCL, Hisense & Vizio TV's are not available here?

Dodgexander

How is the Q80T American version better?
Here's some text from rtings.com who reviewed the north american variant:
Note that the EU version of the Q80T is different. It doesn't have the 'Ultra Viewing Angle' layer, and local dimming may perform worse. The Q85T, which is exclusive to the EU, appears to be the closest model to the one we've tested.

Do you have an explanation as to why American versions are better? Or why those TCL, Hisense & Vizio TV's are not available here?
That's simple. TCL and Hisense have completely different ventures in Europe to North America, the firmware is different and whilst they may share the same types of panels the fundamentals of the TVs being so different means they are best treated as completely different models.

Vizio don't sell TVs outside of the US.

Spectator

Here's some text from rtings.com who reviewed the north american variant:

That's simple. TCL and Hisense have completely different ventures in Europe to North America, the firmware is different and whilst they may share the same types of panels the fundamentals of the TVs being so different means they are best treated as completely different models.

Vizio don't sell TVs outside of the US.

Thanks again! It's not a fair world. 😭

Spectator

I bother you some more, but considering I try to buy a new TV every 10 years, would you suggest buying Q90T for 900-1000 € next spring, or to wait one more year?

What I mean is how do you see technology developing at this point? My estimation currently is that Q90T might be a TV I could be very happy with for 10 years. And that the technology is at a level where it might plateau a bit?

But do you see this generation still having some issues and could be better to wait one more year?

I'm not in a big hurry in this.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I'm not in a big hurry in this.
We're close to the end of higher end LCD TVs as we know them, Samsung are dropping higher end LCDs for QD-OLED in the next couple of years, best to wait or go for an OLED if you want your purchase to look more in date in ten years.

But its not like you'll ever be unhappy with what you buy now, so its really up to you.

A lot depends on what you're using, what you expect from a new TV, what you will watch. Too many different variables.

Spectator

We're close to the end of higher end LCD TVs as we know them, Samsung are dropping higher end LCDs for QD-OLED in the next couple of years, best to wait or go for an OLED if you want your purchase to look more in date in ten years.

But its not like you'll ever be unhappy with what you buy now, so its really up to you.

A lot depends on what you're using, what you expect from a new TV, what you will watch. Too many different variables.

Well I don't want OLED as I use TV as my PC screen sometimes. I don't think I want to invest that much money into a TV.

But you don't think Q90T for example has some hidden issues that are not seen in reviews, that could be resolved in the next generation? Motion blur with HDMI 2.1 or something?

Dodgexander

But you don't think Q90T for example has some hidden issues that are not seen in reviews, that could be resolved in the next generation? Motion blur with HDMI 2.1 or something?
It has a single HDMI 2.1 port instead of 4. Typically this is seen in a transition year. In the next couple of years there will start to be 4x ports instead of 1x.

Apart from that no, and the next year is not always an improvement with picture quality. This years Q90T being a prime example of that (last years Q90R was a better overall TV).

So it could go either way, you could wait and get a better choice, or wait and get a worse choice. As long as you are getting a good price from what you've purchased you can never be disappointed though.

Lvrhs

Q90T 100% will be below 900 Euro on spring or summer. Even Q95T should be below that.
Samsung models when replaced, gets biggest discounts and offer better value than any brand, even Hisense.
I remember, last years Q80R was 750 and Q85R with all bells and whistles for 900. This years TV, should be bit cheaper.

Spectator

It has a single HDMI 2.1 port instead of 4. Typically this is seen in a transition year. In the next couple of years there will start to be 4x ports instead of 1x.

Apart from that no, and the next year is not always an improvement with picture quality. This years Q90T being a prime example of that (last years Q90R was a better overall TV).

So it could go either way, you could wait and get a better choice, or wait and get a worse choice. As long as you are getting a good price from what you've purchased you can never be disappointed though.

Sorry to bother again, but I found about this thread after choosing to likely go for Q90T in the Spring.

Can you explain why Samsung's are so much recommended if they have had this issue for years?

And when should this show, in what kind of TV watching? I have understood that in Game Mode it works better, but then you lose much of the potential of the TV's picture quality.

Dodgexander

Sorry to bother again, but I found about this thread after choosing to likely go for Q90T in the Spring.

Can you explain why Samsung's are so much recommended if they have had this issue for years?

And when should this show, in what kind of TV watching? I have understood that in Game Mode it works better, but then you lose much of the potential of the TV's picture quality.
Someone also asked this in my best buy thread and my answer was the following:
If I had to delist a TV that was recommended every time there was a reported problem, I'd have no TVs left to list.

In other words, every TV has reported issues, but reading that others have the issue does not mean that you will. There's already a couple of people who have recently bought the Q90T for example, and are glad they didn't get put off by that thread because they are very happy with their TV and do not notice the reported issue.

There's just too many variables, and too much different between one person's perception, equipment, viewing conditions etc to really know if you're going to have the same problem with the TV when you buy it. The only way you'll know is once you own the TV.

Spectator

Someone also asked this in my best buy thread and my answer was the following:
If I had to delist a TV that was recommended every time there was a reported problem, I'd have no TVs left to list.

In other words, every TV has reported issues, but reading that others have the issue does not mean that you will. There's already a couple of people who have recently bought the Q90T for example, and are glad they didn't get put off by that thread because they are very happy with their TV and do not notice the reported issue.

There's just too many variables, and too much different between one person's perception, equipment, viewing conditions etc to really know if you're going to have the same problem with the TV when you buy it. The only way you'll know is once you own the TV.

How come the reviews don't notice this issue? It seems pretty frequent.

Is this it in the rtings review? How come Sony X900H (on the right) has almost same rating for Stutter if it doesn't have this problem? Or maybe this isn't the problem? But where could we see it?

Stutter

Frame Hold Time @ 24 fps

31.1 ms30.5 ms
Frame Hold Time @ 60 fps

6.1 ms5.5 ms
-24p Judder

Judder-Free 24p

YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p

YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i

YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps

YesYes

Dodgexander

How come the reviews don't notice this issue? It seems pretty frequent.

Is this it in the rtings review? How come Sony X900H (on the right) has almost same rating for Stutter if it doesn't have this problem? Or maybe this isn't the problem? But where could we see it?

Stutter
Frame Hold Time @ 24 fps

31.1 ms30.5 ms
Frame Hold Time @ 60 fps

6.1 ms5.5 ms
-24p Judder
Judder-Free 24p
YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p
YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i
YesYes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps
YesYes
Because for most people its not an issue. That thread is a collective of people who have found the problem themselves. It doesn't indicate everyone has the same problem. You could find similar threads, similar complaints of every TV.

If you want to up your chances of avoiding motion problems, for instance; because you have noticed them before with TVs. Then go for the Sony XH9505 instead.

Don't assume because other people have the problem you will too.

Spectator

Because for most people its not an issue. That thread is a collective of people who have found the problem themselves. It doesn't indicate everyone has the same problem. You could find similar threads, similar complaints of every TV.

If you want to up your chances of avoiding motion problems, for instance; because you have noticed them before with TVs. Then go for the Sony XH9505 instead.

Don't assume because other people have the problem you will too.
I'm back at my contemplation. I have decided that I won't buy a Samsung TV, but rather Sony if I opt for LCD. This is a brand I trust, and no worries of stutter problems like you say. I have upped my budget to 900-1200 €.

The 55" XH95 just dropped to 1000 € in Finland. I just don't like that it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 port for being future-proof. So I can't buy that one, but have to wait if XJ90 will be brighter than XH90 was.

What I would like from XJ90 is to be as bright, or almost, as XH95 was, but with HDMI 2.1 port. We can't know if this will happen yet? The XJ95 won't be in 55" size so it's out of question for me. I don't want to buy a new full wood TV stand as it will be another few hundred euros in addition that the 65" will cost more.

So what I'm now thinking, is that should I opt for 55" LG CX OLED, which costs 1200 € here. It dropped to this price yesterday, by -100 €, but was at that price at 20th March already. Maybe it will drop even more in price? Or not?

The problem I have had in considering OLED is that I use my TV as a computer screen, and editing photos, and watch sports (where there is a logo in the same spot, even when watching different sports). I'm not sure, but I might use the TV for 50-70 % of the time compared to my monitor.

I have read about the Rtings OLED burn-in test. It's not the easiest to estimate how much I use it for a single thing. Someone suggested to adjust brightness to low for computer use, and use dark mode. I do use computer for many hours per day.

To me it seems that watching brighter things with static images, the OLED will last about 5 years with 2 hours per day usage for a certain subject. But my hopeful expectation based on my current TV, which might not happen, would be for the TV to last 5-10 years. Not that it will have almost sure problems at 5 years.

So should I risk the OLED? Or should I wait if the XJ90 will be bright enough? Or should I wait for the next "LG CX" model for a year? MicroLED will apparently make this problem go away, but it will be too expensive for many years.

Apparently OLED and especially LG CX is clearly the best option in every way otherwise for me?

Another thing I'm wondering is the power consumption of LCD vs OLED. CX uses 151 kWh/year and XH95 230 kWh/year? That should equal some savings too, maybe making the 200 € cost difference more equal over many years?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

It depends how careful you are using it as a PC monitor, and what steps you use to prevent burn in. If you use a screensaver and don't keep apps up all the time with the same static elements then your TV will last a lot longer than if you do.

We will have to wait to see if the X90J meets the minimum 1000 nits that's recommended for HDR. The XH90 didn't but the XG90/XF90 before it did. Either way its not going to be as good as the XH95 with HDR picture quality and if it does meet 1000 it won't be 1500 like the higher tier Sony TVs are.

MicroLED is a long way off being at smaller sizes, but it will certainly be a game changer if it makes it. Not to be confused with miniLED which doesn't really make LCD TVs that much better.

Power consumption will be low on both TVs for SDR usage where the backlight (OLED brightness on OLED) will be low compared to HDR where its on full.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021