Samsung Q80T Owners thread

wow thats a good sales technique!
how much extra?

£100 - to be fair - I generally always use Richer Sounds and they've always taken care of me :)

Ah for the £100 worth a punt i reckon, I have the Q60T and the money extra for the Q80T was def worth it, so if the 90 is a slight improvement happy days

well we are returning it. can't get the picture good enough for hubby. he compared side by side to our older Sony Bravia and honestly didn't look better.

well we are returning it. can't get the picture good enough for hubby. he compared side by side to our older Sony Bravia and honestly didn't look better.
Older tvs standard definition pictures will usually look better. They don't need to try and turn water into wine. Turning a standard feed into a 4k screen is always going to be hard work.

Older tvs standard definition pictures will usually look better. They don't need to try and turn water into wine. Turning a standard feed into a 4k screen is always going to be hard work.

forgive my ignorance, why would i get a 4k tv then if I 'watch tv' ? what am i missing? thanks.
trish

forgive my ignorance, why would i get a 4k tv then if I 'watch tv' ? what am i missing? thanks.
trish

depends entirely on the content you watch.. if you only watch terrestrial TV then there probably isn't a requirement to - as most of their programmes aren't even HD and of the HD channels - most are just 720p... however, if you watch any higher definition content i.e. Amazon Prime, Netflix, BlueRay DVD's or game on any last gen or this gen consoles - then you would really benefit from a 4K TV (the difference is very noticeable - it has 4x the resolution of 1080p).

Pixels of standard definition will be far less around 480 lines as opposed to 2160 lines.

depends entirely on the content you watch.. if you only watch terrestrial TV then there probably isn't a requirement to - as most of their programmes aren't even HD and of the HD channels - most are just 720p... however, if you watch any higher definition content i.e. Amazon Prime, Netflix, BlueRay DVD's or game on any last gen or this gen consoles - then you would really benefit from a 4K TV (the difference is very noticeable - it has 4x the resolution of 1080p).

seems like it on netflix and prime shows as well...hmmm. thanks.

why people are buying these garbage LED sammys when you can have a LG 55" CX oled for £1300.

Hi, I just bought the q80t and saw later that it was a silver one. Any pics of that one. I've come up with zilch online. Black would have been preferable.

Thank you in advance!

Hi, I just bought the q80t and saw later that it was a silver one. Any pics of that one. I've come up with zilch online. Black would have been preferable.

Thank you in advance!
Haven't seen a silver one at all. Not sure there was one

Haven't seen a silver one at all. Not sure there was one

There is apparently black, silver and one or two other colors. I had to rush the order due to the low price during black Friday, so I didn't read what color it was, since, also, the image they used was one of the black models. Fairly strange. I'll call them Monday and ask if it's possible they change the order to a black one, should they have one in stock. I was just looking for images of it in silver, as who knows, it might look decent.

Finally plumped for a 85" Q80T comes this Thursday , what settings do you recommend for gaming on ps4 pro , xbox one x , and for sky Q for movies etc

seems like it on netflix and prime shows as well...hmmm. thanks.

Sounds like 1 of 2 things

1. You have had the Sony a long time and are use to the colour pallets used by Sony and have not got use to the difference of a Samsung.

2. You havent changed the settings to suit what suits you.

Back-light settings, contrast, colour, brightness, cinema settings.

I have a Sony in the bedroom, its 1080p and it looks decent, until I out the ps 4 pro, 4k firestick on and watch something.

Then its significantly worse than the q80t

The Sony is 40" the q80t is 65"

go
Sounds like 1 of 2 things

1. You have had the Sony a long time and are use to the colour pallets used by Sony and have not got use to the difference of a Samsung.

2. You havent changed the settings to suit what suits you.

Back-light settings, contrast, colour, brightness, cinema settings.

I have a Sony in the bedroom, its 1080p and it looks decent, until I out the ps 4 pro, 4k firestick on and watch something.

Then its significantly worse than the q80t

The Sony is 40" the q80t is 65"
just got my q80T in last hour what settings for sky q , ps4 , xbox etc would you recommend

why people are buying these garbage LED sammys when you can have a LG 55" CX oled for £1300.

65q80t is cheaper than a 55cx, zero burn in risk, almost as quick response time, better upscaling on broadcast TV, almost twice as bright, no pulsing overshoot on near black are a few things to counter the OLED.

Hi all.
I am interested in the 85” version of this set and would like your opinions, especially ex OLED owners but any comments appreciated.
Looking at this as it’s currently £2500 in Argos in UK which seems about a grand cheaper than anywhere else.
I currently own a 4 year old LG OLED B6, 65”. My main reason for upgrading is size. I sit 12” away from my set. I would really like to know how much of an upgrade I would be getting and how much I would be compromising PQ and black levels to achieve a bigger screen.

I’m not a gamer but might get a PS5 at some point for casual gaming. I watch F1, football, TV and movies through SKY Q UHD box, and watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. My viewing is probably a 50/50 split ish between HD and 4K content.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

go

just got my q80T in last hour what settings for sky q , ps4 , xbox etc would you recommend
Will have a check tomoz, I dont have sky q I just use freesat but off the top of my head, local dimming high on all, colour 28 is all I can recall but will look it over tomorrow.
Preset for me is too bright, the ps5 lets you calibrate your tv to its optimal settings with a very very basic calibration.
I have freesat, a firestick 4k and ps5 in mine (firestick is in the q800t soundbar) I'm going to have to try a uhd disk to see if I get atmos through hdmi 2.1 as well as through eArc.
Or install amazon prime on the ps5.

On freesat my settings are
Brightness 30
Contrast 30
Sharpness 8
Colour 28
Local dimming high
Gamma 2.2
Colour tone 2
Picture mode movie
Film mode auto

Its a bit darker than standard but watching regular TV faces are too bright in standard

Last edited:
I've got Virgin v6 boxes.
I also have an Oled in the living room and my current office set up is in my dining room and luckily I've done side by side comparisons of both tvs (I have 55" versions).
The viewing angle alone is enough to put me off it being my main set. The blacks are not as strong and the stutter is there, BBC is awful for it.
It's a decent TV for gaming. Which is why I bought it, the sounds even pretty good but the viewing angle and slight blowing of blacks is hard to recommend as the main set.
If you have an Oled as your main TV its going to be hard to replace with any other tech.
My advice is don't purchase it.
I've set my Samsung up extremely well and my friend came round yesterday to see it all, he has a c oled and he was surprised how good the set is, but that was for gaming he did notice the viewing angles. But you really do need to set it up

I've got Virgin v6 boxes.
I also have an Oled in the living room and my current office set up is in my dining room and luckily I've done side by side comparisons of both tvs (I have 55" versions).
The viewing angle alone is enough to put me off it being my main set. The blacks are not as strong and the stutter is there, BBC is awful for it.
It's a decent TV for gaming. Which is why I bought it, the sounds even pretty good but the viewing angle and slight blowing of blacks is hard to recommend as the main set.
If you have an Oled as your main TV its going to be hard to replace with any other tech.
My advice is don't purchase it.
I've set my Samsung up extremely well and my friend came round yesterday to see it all, he has a c oled and he was surprised how good the set is, but that was for gaming he did notice the viewing angles. But you really do need to set it up
That’s really helpful, thank you.
The 85” has now disappeared off Argos, I wonder if it was a pricing error. That now means this set is £3.4K which is identical price to a 77” LG OLEDCX. I’d have to be really desperate for those extra 8 inches to pick this set over the OLED as it looks to be a weaker set in almost every other department. Think I’ve now got my heart set on the OLED, but may wait to see if the price drops a little further. Would like to bag it for £3k.
Thanks again for your help.

That’s really helpful, thank you.
The 85” has now disappeared off Argos, I wonder if it was a pricing error. That now means this set is £3.4K which is identical price to a 77” LG OLEDCX. I’d have to be really desperate for those extra 8 inches to pick this set over the OLED as it looks to be a weaker set in almost every other department. Think I’ve now got my heart set on the OLED, but may wait to see if the price drops a little further. Would like to bag it for £3k.
Thanks again for your help.
No worries dude, this TV is by no means rubbish in anyways, but it's not top of the range oled good. The price point and the reason to buy are for the hdmi 2.1 and the VRR but that's the main seller. Its cheaper than the 90t but no anti reflection like it.
I prefer my oled for films and TV but I prefer this for my ps5 as its not shiny like the oled. Horses for courses and all that

Will have a check tomoz, I dont have sky q I just use freesat but off the top of my head, local dimming high on all, colour 28 is all I can recall but will look it over tomorrow.
Preset for me is too bright, the ps5 lets you calibrate your tv to its optimal settings with a very very basic calibration.
I have freesat, a firestick 4k and ps5 in mine (firestick is in the q800t soundbar) I'm going to have to try a uhd disk to see if I get atmos through hdmi 2.1 as well as through eArc.
Or install amazon prime on the ps5.

On freesat my settings are
Brightness 30
Contrast 30
Sharpness 8
Colour 28
Local dimming high
Gamma 2.2
Colour tone 2
Picture mode movie
Film mode auto

Its a bit darker than standard but watching regular TV faces are too bright in standard

cheers m8 will give that a try and tweak from their if needed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom