Samsung Q80T Owners thread

Hello Everyone.

I just got 55"Q80T TV, and loving it so far.

I got a major concern tho: My previous TV was a Samsung 55MU8000 and i had it configured manually the settings individually for every source (TV, PS4, Switch, etc), but on this Q80T, i set the TV with movie preset and the settings at my taste... Then, i go Gaming at the PS4 source, game mode activates, and the settings are totally diferent and when i got back to TV, it keeps the setting i had on PS4, even if i set the setting to "current source" ...

Any tips on this or am i just being dumb? Besides this, i'm loving the TV, got it for 1049€ with Samsung offer HW-Q60T Soundbar for free, the perfect combo :clap:

Impressions of the 49inch q80t after several hours of use.

Games and game mode.
I played on xbox one x and ps4pro. To begin with i have to state that it is rather obvious since last year that samsung faled tvs game mode seems to overdo it with disabling enough of the features that make the tvs great like faled backlight system and picture clarity noise reduction features in order to achieve a extremely low input lag (i believe in this tv it's about 10ms) that just isn't worth it for console gaming. The overall experience was positive. Colors were vibrant, hdr very good, but the faled seems to not work properly (although much better if you are coming from an edge lit tv), and for me personally i had some weird banding artifacts at times which were related to motion or just banding from colors (go to game mode and disable absolutely everything like motion settings and black frame insertion). It just seems that they need to patch game mode in order to bring back features even if it might mean a bit higher input lag which would still be great. I would say that coming from my nu8000 the overall experience was surely better, but some glitches like i mentioned just din't make it as much of an improvement as i would hope. Again it seems everything is in place but the game mode just seems to very aggressive in gimping the tv for the sake of input lag. Lastly i must comment on how superb upscaling works from lower 720p 900p 1080p resolutions. The new a.i image enhancement algorithm virtually eliminates noise and jagies from lower resolutions. It's simply put amazing.
Movies.
I then turned of game mode, switched to movie mode and was just blown away by the experience. To begin with, the motion handling of this tv in movies is sensational and is natively activated (you don't have to do anything for judder reduction it's natively implemented). The motion handling is sensational. High frequency movement that usually gives a blur and also jagged edges was astonishing. Fast movement was perfect, and all detail in edges was preserved.
The HDR is simply magnificent. The tv has no issue hitting 1000 nits and the faled system just shines. Contrast is simply fantastic and for me blooming was absolutely nowere to be seen (i played pacific rim 4k which is very demanding with lots of light sources). It is a magnificent experience for dark room viewing. Also i can't stress enough just how well this tv is calibrated out of the box. Colors are fantastic, most of the tinkering you would have to do is now there. Movie watching in this tv is an experience to behold. Here you get all the bells and whistles on feature.

If you are on the market for 49 inch tvs which let's face it are becoming extinct then this tv is highly recommended but at the price i got it (999 euros). I would not pay the 1200 normal asking price for this tv at this point in time. For those who solely want a gaming tv i would suggest to wait. The potential is there but it seems samsung just gimps the tv in game mode for the sake of input lag. There are a lot of possitives but they need to patch game mode for faled to work better and picture-clarity noise reductions settings to be available for minimizing badning. For those who want a 49 inch tv for movies absolutely recommended, but just under that 1000 euro sweetspot. For those who want a combination of both again recommended and with the hope game mode will be fixed. Lastly the sound was far better than the nu8000 i had, the base was better, but the ots system is absent on the 49 inch version so speakers-soundbar is inevitable.
For people who would usually buy 55 inch Samsung tv's, i think last year's q90r or q85r are a better more affordable option. If a tv like q85r came out in 49 inches i would get it. I can't comment on it compared to others tv's, cos i am mainly a samsung guy.
Any blooming in the letter box bars ?

You guys buying the 49" version of Sammy Tvs are getting scammed, any sammy tv 50" and under is a 60 Hz pannel so your HDMI 2/1 ports are basically useless, forget 4k 120Hz. Why does samsung do this? LG and Sony do not. They get my money.

Last edited:
Guyz,
Do you get option to select Dolby Digital under Sound, expert settings ?

I connected my Soundbar and still not getting such options on my Q80T.
I just get Auto/PCM/Passthrough, on netflix, bluray etc etc....

You guys buying the 49" version of Sammy Tvs are getting scammed, any sammy tv 50" and under is a 60 Hz pannel so your HDMI 2/1 ports are basically useless, forget 4k 120Hz. Why does samsung do this? LG and Sony do not. They get my money.
But they don't hide that fact it is always stated on the spec sheet of 49 inch tvs. Also for 49 inches neither Sony lcd has 4k 120Hz, i think LG on their OLED CX 48 inch do have though.

But they don't hide that fact it is always stated on the spec sheet of 49 inch tvs. Also for 49 inches neither Sony lcd has 4k 120Hz, i think LG on their OLED CX 48 inch do have though.

Talking about the panel, every premium 49" Sony TV has a 120hz panel, you can do1080p/1440p 120Hz. If they do release a 49" HDMI 2.1 TV you can guarantee it will have a 120Hz panel. Samsung are cheapskates. And you can go on Samsung's website and it does not state anywhere it is 60Hz.

Talking about the panel, every premium 49" Sony TV has a 120hz panel, you can do1080p/1440p 120Hz. If they do release a 49" HDMI 2.1 TV you can guarantee it will have a 120Hz panel. Samsung are cheapskates. And you can go on Samsung's website and it does not state anywhere it is 60Hz.
''Even though the X950H has a 120Hz refresh rate, it can only achieve it at a 1080p resolution, so 1440p and 4k content are limited to 60Hz. '' This quote is from RTINGS for the 55 inch model. The Q80T 55 inch model does proper 4k@120hz. For the 49 inch XH95 i imagine it won't be better than this. Also do not forget that the price point of the xh95 is more akin to the q90t than the q80t and still for 55 inches it offers less. I wouldn't call the 49 inch q80t which i got for under 1000 euro a cheapskate product. Far from it actually. And i do not know about other country Samsung's pages, but in Greece where i am from they specifically state the variants and differences between inches. The q80t 49 inch for example also misses the object tracking sound.

Just so I am reading this correctly. The UK model doesn't have the anti-reflective or wide viewing angle filter??

If that's the case performance should be better than that RTINGS review suggests if those two features aren't important to you.

Just so I am reading this correctly. The UK model doesn't have the anti-reflective or wide viewing angle filter??

If that's the case performance should be better than that RTINGS review suggests if those two features aren't important to you.
Based on HDTV test no it doens't, so it has a higher native contrast ratio.

The q80t 49 inch for example also misses the object tracking sound.

Buddy, you have 49" - Plz answer my query #32

PS: I am having burning smell and heat ath back top left side corner and probably samsung will deam this as DOA, Case still goin on.

My 49" just arrived :clap:

After hours of adjusting video from PC I realized it's best to have the TV itself play Netflix... but then I'd have audio problems because my PC is the AVR and I'm not going to buy some big metal box with cheap amp module inside.

Problems so far:

- In "Connection Guide" it says the TV can connect to Wi-Fi audio speaker, but there is no such option and it doesn't list my BeoPlay. I haven't been able to find anything on Google except someone mentions Samsung's own speakers using proprietary protocol (Samsung's own guide points to bluetooth though). Is the connection guide outdated? Anyone has done that?

- Optical link and HDMI eARC back to PC are too troublesome even if possible... So the only option for sound output is bluetooth?!

- HDMI 1 literally doesn't work when connected to PC. It's not even detected. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

- I can send 12 bits - actually 10 I was told - RGB signals from PC and it makes black level better (no grayish black or whitish gray). But only works with 1920x1080 + scaling by display not graphics card, not 4K signals.

- While playing Netflix by the TV's app shows more details in a few scenes (could be different source quality since I use 2K from PC), there is no visible difference on overall color depth or brightness/contrast. Is this normal? Perhaps it's not worth all the troubles to get 4k HDR on PC? I use standard mode with same custom settings on both of HDR/netflix and SDR/PC.

Last edited:
Movies.
I then turned of game mode, switched to movie mode and was just blown away by the experience. To begin with, the motion handling of this tv in movies is sensational and is natively activated (you don't have to do anything for judder reduction it's natively implemented). The motion handling is sensational. High frequency movement that usually gives a blur and also jagged edges was astonishing. Fast movement was perfect, and all detail in edges was preserved.

The HDR is simply magnificent. The tv has no issue hitting 1000 nits and the faled system just shines. Contrast is simply fantastic and for me blooming was absolutely nowere to be seen (i played pacific rim 4k which is very demanding with lots of light sources). It is a magnificent experience for dark room viewing. Also i can't stress enough just how well this tv is calibrated out of the box. Colors are fantastic, most of the tinkering you would have to do is now there. Movie watching in this tv is an experience to behold. Here you get all the bells and whistles on feature.

When you mentioned the sensational motion handling of this model, what did you mean when you said Judder Reduction was "natively activated"? Were you were referring to the Custom Auto Motion Plus mode's default setting of "3" on the Judder Reduction scale? Because that's where Samsung puts it even on the NU8000, which I own; in this Custom AMP mode, Blur Reduction is also set to "max," though I never understood why.

With HDR, you weren't getting ANY letterbox bleed AT ALL? Did you leave the Backlight and Contrast at max? What were your SDR Backlight levels in Movie mode? Did you use Movie with HDR content?

Samsung learned a trick to turn off bars a long ago. It is not a problem. Exept 2.00 aspect ratio
What do you mean by this? Are you referring to that feature that used to darken letterbox areas electronically via a setting? If so, I believe that feature was dropped and no newer Samsung models have it...

49", connected to PC, gaming mode off:

- darken edge around subtitle can be seen by increasing sharpness to 7 or 10. There is no letterbox.
- I set contrast to 40 because above 40 it brightens light gray (#F0F0F0, full range RGB) to the point it's almost indistinguishable from pure white.
- judder reduction causes the screen to flash
- movie mode shows far too much red with default white balance and colorspace. It's unusable.

Movies.

When you mentioned the sensational motion handling of this model, what did you mean when you said Judder Reduction was "natively activated"? Were you were referring to the Custom Auto Motion Plus mode's default setting of "3" on the Judder Reduction scale? Because that's where Samsung puts it even on the NU8000, which I own; in this Custom AMP mode, Blur Reduction is also set to "max," though I never understood why.

With HDR, you weren't getting ANY letterbox bleed AT ALL? Did you leave the Backlight and Contrast at max? What were your SDR Backlight levels in Movie mode? Did you use Movie with HDR content?
I never had issues with motion handling with the nu8000 but here is just on a better level. On very fast motion i would have some jagged edges, on very high frequency movement on the nu, it was the first thing that struck me how this tv preserves edges even in high frequency motion. Yes it is set to 3 by default.
As for hdr, back in the nu owners thread discussions over discussions on this issue of hdr and light bleed. Absolutely nothing here. Literally i would say the biggest improvement is the faled. I am in pitch black conditions and there is no light bleed whatsoever. In the nu due to it being edge lit especially with no bias lighting you could just tell where the leds were.
And i am talking about films that stress tvs with black bars. Matrix 4k, Alien 4k, Blade Runner 4k. Games like Gears that also stress it, Gears 4,5. I would say the faled is the single best improvement. And the hdr is more impactfull due to it. In sdr i always have the backlight at 25-30. If it's pitch black in hdr content then you can imagine it's the same in sdr. I never had an issue with the nu. It was fantastic. But only when i got this faled one i understood what i was missing. Game mode is hit or miss, but i remember you were a film buff mainly.

hi i replaced my q70r with q80t 55 and i noticed a color problem that noticeable mostly in games (either on pc or ps4).

pictures attached.

in nvidia control panel i only have the option output color depth to 8 bpc.

did amyone else noticed this problem with their q80t? i dont recall having that issue with q70r or even with my hisense M7000.

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_133005.jpg
    IMG_20200908_133005.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20200908_133210.jpg
    IMG_20200908_133210.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20200908_134357.jpg
    IMG_20200908_134357.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20200909_131322_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20200909_131322_HHT.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20200909_131336.jpg
    IMG_20200909_131336.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 249
What's the differance between the q80 and q85?
The q85 has more dimming zones. I think this is European only since in Europe Samung sort of downgrades it's tvs compared to the US. So the q85 here in Europe is more or less the equivalent of the q80t in the US.

Last edited:
hi i replaced my q70r with q80t 55 and i noticed a color problem that noticeable mostly in games (either on pc or ps4).

pictures attached.

in nvidia control panel i only have the option output color depth to 8 bpc.

did amyone else noticed this problem with their q80t? i dont recall having that issue with q70r or even with my hisense M7000.
Hi, worry not. This is an issue along with a dimming bug problem that has been reported by many users with the latest update 1304. Samsung has said they are going to roll out an update on the 14th that will address it. it's a software related issue that was introduced with the last update 1304 not a tv problem and has affected q80t q90t even the 8k models. So just be patient until next week were theoretically it should be addressed and solved

hi that's good to hear.. another thing i noticed is that i have awful screen tearing when i using the screen as a pc monitor watching Netflix via browser..no matter if im on 120hz or 25 still i can notice screen tearing..

Now you’ve had the TV a couple of months would you still say it’s a worthwhile upgrade from the NU8000? I’ve got the 55” and may be looking to get the 65” Q80T...

i only have it for a couple of days..the problem that i mentioned is really a deal breaker for me if it will not be fixed soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom