Samsung Q80T Owners thread

Kobassan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, had no luck in removing the apps.Mine is the 49" version.

Have you noticed anything strange regarding the sound equaliser? It has no effect on the sound at all on mine.

Hello, had no luck in removing the apps.Mine is the 49" version.

Have you noticed anything strange regarding the sound equaliser? It has no effect on the sound at all on mine.

I have just tested the equilizer with the TV speakers and in Standard mode, it worked (at least the bass and treebles)

Thanks for checking. Hmm, beginning to think i have a faulty set.....also .there are other strange things going on with this thing

Hi Mick . Whats cinema bars like in a dim room on 49inch model ? . Black , grey, or any blooming. Also have you noticed any judder on its 50hz panel ?

Well i got the 49 inch q80t. Hopefully it is a significant upgrade over my nu8005 which has been an incredible tv.

Hi Mick . Whats cinema bars like in a dim room on 49inch model ? . Black , grey, or any blooming. Also have you noticed any judder on its 50hz panel ?
Sorry for late reply. Sorry, am not really familiar with the terminology regarding cinema bars& blooming etc.

What i can say is that the picture quality on this is absolutely stunning....to my eyes anyway. As for the rest of the set....i think its overpriced for what it is. And to add insult to injury, i paid £1399........a week later it was reduced by £100. Regarding the 50hz judder thing, i have definitely not noticed this in the month i have owned it.

Well i got the 49 inch q80t. Hopefully it is a significant upgrade over my nu8005 which has been an incredible tv.
Would be interested to hear your opinions when you get using it.

Are any of you former OLED owners, would be interested to know how you are enjoying your new QLED TVs?

Last edited:
I just picked up this TV this morning.... wow, what an incredible picture.

I am curious though what everyone’s setting are for SDR. rtings.com suggests using “Movie” but after playing with it a bit, I find it a little flat. Standard looks great.

What about other settings like local dimming, etc? On, off?

Movie is the most accurate mode, it might seem a little flat to the eyes but it is calibrated to emulate the 100nit picture movies are mastered for. If it seems flat turn contrast enhancer to low (only on hdr content though not sdr), since it gives that punchy image but without messing with the gamma curve.
The entire point of this tv is the faled. I mean if you turn it off then there was no point in getting it. Medium applies samsung's dynamic metadata algorithm going by the hdtv test review, and high turns it off, so find the setting that best suits you. I will be receiving my tv this week, will be curious to see myself. But keep it either Medium or High.

Full array local dimiming as opposed to edge lit. It is basically a more sophisticated method of the led's being placed directly behind the screen so they can be individually ( in more concentrated zones that is) switched off for more precision in dimming control. Edge lit are on the bottom or top of the screen so you can't have that precision control. Of course it all depends on how good the dimming algorithm is and the number of zones. There are edge lit sets that can perform better than faled ones, so i am curious also how my q80t will perform after i set it up today. In theory it is a superior method.

Impressions of the 49inch q80t after several hours of use.

Games and game mode.
I played on xbox one x and ps4pro. To begin with i have to state that it is rather obvious since last year that samsung faled tvs game mode seems to overdo it with disabling enough of the features that make the tvs great like faled backlight system and picture clarity noise reduction features in order to achieve a extremely low input lag (i believe in this tv it's about 10ms) that just isn't worth it for console gaming. The overall experience was positive. Colors were vibrant, hdr very good, but the faled seems to not work properly (although much better if you are coming from an edge lit tv), and for me personally i had some weird banding artifacts at times which were related to motion or just banding from colors (go to game mode and disable absolutely everything like motion settings and black frame insertion). It just seems that they need to patch game mode in order to bring back features even if it might mean a bit higher input lag which would still be great. I would say that coming from my nu8000 the overall experience was surely better, but some glitches like i mentioned just din't make it as much of an improvement as i would hope. Again it seems everything is in place but the game mode just seems to very aggressive in gimping the tv for the sake of input lag. Lastly i must comment on how superb upscaling works from lower 720p 900p 1080p resolutions. The new a.i image enhancement algorithm virtually eliminates noise and jagies from lower resolutions. It's simply put amazing.
Movies.
I then turned of game mode, switched to movie mode and was just blown away by the experience. To begin with, the motion handling of this tv in movies is sensational and is natively activated (you don't have to do anything for judder reduction it's natively implemented). The motion handling is sensational. High frequency movement that usually gives a blur and also jagged edges was astonishing. Fast movement was perfect, and all detail in edges was preserved.
The HDR is simply magnificent. The tv has no issue hitting 1000 nits and the faled system just shines. Contrast is simply fantastic and for me blooming was absolutely nowere to be seen (i played pacific rim 4k which is very demanding with lots of light sources). It is a magnificent experience for dark room viewing. Also i can't stress enough just how well this tv is calibrated out of the box. Colors are fantastic, most of the tinkering you would have to do is now there. Movie watching in this tv is an experience to behold. Here you get all the bells and whistles on feature.

If you are on the market for 49 inch tvs which let's face it are becoming extinct then this tv is highly recommended but at the price i got it (999 euros). I would not pay the 1200 normal asking price for this tv at this point in time. For those who solely want a gaming tv i would suggest to wait. The potential is there but it seems samsung just gimps the tv in game mode for the sake of input lag. There are a lot of possitives but they need to patch game mode for faled to work better and picture-clarity noise reductions settings to be available for minimizing badning. For those who want a 49 inch tv for movies absolutely recommended, but just under that 1000 euro sweetspot. For those who want a combination of both again recommended and with the hope game mode will be fixed. Lastly the sound was far better than the nu8000 i had, the base was better, but the ots system is absent on the 49 inch version so speakers-soundbar is inevitable.
For people who would usually buy 55 inch Samsung tv's, i think last year's q90r or q85r are a better more affordable option. If a tv like q85r came out in 49 inches i would get it. I can't comment on it compared to others tv's, cos i am mainly a samsung guy.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a way to add Source icons to the Home menu? When reading the manual, it says to highlight the Source (ie cable box), and press "up". From there, we should be able to select "Move to Home Screen". But all I see is "Edit".

It would be great to move these icons to the Home screen, since scrolling all the way to the left is a bit of a pain (first world problem I know).

Or, is there a way to access the Source icons faster?

Does this tv have two little light bars in the front of the panel at the very top? They seem like sensors, or is my panel just broken?

These seem like properly shapped led's and i assumed they are the light sensors or something. When you are sitting down and are on eye level the luminescence almost seem to disappear. I was standing and took the photo so it can be obvious. Even with the panel closed i can tell their shaped so i just assumed they are part of the design?

Attachments

• 107670848_10158223366673190_8317619533514394352_n.jpg
    107670848_10158223366673190_8317619533514394352_n.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 955
We bought the 49” model, and I’m a getting some conflicting info regarding HDMI 2.1

Some sites say that 2.1 isn’t available on the 49”, yet on Samsung’s official spec page, they say nothing about the 49” being left out (usually there would be a disclaimer):

Official Q80T

And to make matters even more confusing, Best Buy's site (where I bought the TV), says all the HDMI ports are 2.1:

Best Buy specs

Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
Are any of you former OLED owners, would be interested to know how you are enjoying your new QLED TVs?
Im a current OLED and QLED owner. OLED is still king in my eyes, but the bigger size of QLED offsets that. Do see myself more annoyed with blooming now though than i was before i owned an OLED.

The nu8000 is a brighter TV than the q80t, although the q80t might have better black levels, that's about the only upgrade I'm sure there is?

The nu8000 is a brighter TV than the q80t, although the q80t might have better black levels, that's about the only upgrade I'm sure there is?
The NU8000 is in no way brighter than the q80t. They both peak at 1000nits but the q80t has a much higher real scene sustained brightness plus fald vs edge lit, better black and a much better algorithm for dynamic tone mapping just have a greater impact. Trust me i was really pleased with the brightness and hdr on my nu8000 but on this tv it is on another level.

The Q80T has only two ports that are 2.1 “ish”. One port that is labeled for gaming devices, and another that is labeled for “eArc”. I do not believe they are Interchangeable. I suspect the Gaming port is fully 2.1, but suspect the eArc is dedicated to sound. My research suggests that even if a port is labeled 2.1, it does not necessarily have the “mojo” for Enhanced ARC. That takes dedicated circuitry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom