Samsung Q80T Owners thread

Jay53

Is this trend for sitting so close to the screen a recent thing? I sit nearly 10 feet from my current 32" screen and it would feel silly sitting any closer.
I wouldn't say it's a recent trend as I've never been further than 10ft back in my current house (17years) and both TVs are currently 55in. If anything it seems to be a hang over of sofa up against one wall and TV on the opposite wall or corner of room from days gone by that has us previously sitting so far away :)

To throw a different perspective on it, where do you sit when you go to the cinema? I sit probably middle 2/3rds back and that screen still takes up more of my peripheral vision so surely it should be a similar experience watching TV at home?

TVEye

I wouldn't say it's a recent trend as I've never been further than 10ft back in my current house (17years) and both TVs are currently 55in. If anything it seems to be a hang over of sofa up against one wall and TV on the opposite wall or corner of room from days gone by that has us previously sitting so far away :)

To throw a different perspective on it, where do you sit when you go to the cinema? I sit probably middle 2/3rds back and that screen still takes up more of my peripheral vision so surely it should be a similar experience watching TV at home?
The room in which I currently watch my television is very small, but I'm moving into a bigger house soon and when I get a 55" TV I can't imagine sitting closer to it than at least 12 feet away. I think I simply like that degree of separation and I think it will sound better too. The last time I went to the cinema was a long time ago and I hated it for being so close, but also because it was far too loud – with ridiculous sound effects that were over-intrusive and almost percussive. Mind you, it was the god-awful 2012, which the daughter of my lady friend at the time chose for us. Even she had to admit afterwards that it had been a terrible mistake. :laugh:

TVEye

If it's any consolation, I only know because I almost had a meltdown when I realised a sticker was stuck to the screen.
I think it must have happened to somebody, as they were describing having to use nail varnish remover (not very compatible with modern TV screens) and how it left a mark. I think it might have become obvious if it was actually on protective film. Mind you, certain retailers have been known to offload returned televisions as new and I can imagine some idiot in the shop sticking it straight onto the screen.

sang4021

Has anyone had any trouble getting "Q Symphony" to work?

My setup:
Nvidia Shield Pro ->hdmi 1 port Q900T Soundbar ->via erac Q80T TV

The TV+Soundbar option doesnt appear for me at all.

sparkymark75

Daft question time. I just noticed earlier that there's a protective film around the outside edge of the TV so I peeled that off. There seems to be a thin strip along the bottom of the screen. Is it safe to peel this off too? I'm assuming so but wanted to check first!

Edit: Nevermind, I ripped that puppy off!

Last edited:

johnny-17

The room in which I currently watch my television is very small, but I'm moving into a bigger house soon and when I get a 55" TV I can't imagine sitting closer to it than at least 12 feet away. I think I simply like that degree of separation and I think it will sound better too. The last time I went to the cinema was a long time ago and I hated it for being so close, but also because it was far too loud – with ridiculous sound effects that were over-intrusive and almost percussive. Mind you, it was the god-awful 2012, which the daughter of my lady friend at the time chose for us. Even she had to admit afterwards that it had been a terrible mistake. :laugh:
Each to their own......I can’t imagine sitting so far away from a 55 “ screen anymore 👹
I watch movies and game at about 6‘ away and I’m so used to it that a 65’ screen wouldn’t be out of the question.
The old rules and restrictions are long gone for me, what with the ever increasing PQ and affordability of large screen sizes available nowadays 😀

Thrupnibits

Picked up my 65 Q80t a few days ago, coming from a 55nu8000, added the Q800t sound bar as the total price for the package was £1550 ( the sound bar is 50% cash back if bought with a tv).
Hi brummybloke,

The TV alone is £1499, so sounds like youve effectively got a n £800 soundbar package for £50! Can I ask where you got this from?

Clearandcolour

Hi brummybloke,

The TV alone is £1499, so sounds like youve effectively got a n £800 soundbar package for £50! Can I ask where you got this from?
I read : If you have access to the blue light card/ employee portal the samsung shop have the 65 q80t for £1190

And he got 400 pound for his old samsung tv.. and 50 % of the price of the soundbar

sparkymark75

Anyone upgraded to the latest firmware? 1402.6 was released on the 8th Oct, but it doesn’t say what’s fixed or changed.

IsaacRatch

What are the viewing angles like on this please guys? Seems our version of the Q80T doesn't have wide viewing or anti glare compared to the yanks version.

At what sort of angles does it start looking washed out?

AO have it for £1350 using code samsung10. Will it get better come black Friday? Let's hope so!

Jay53

Indeed. Comparing the EU Q80T and EU Q85T, the latter has the anti-reflective coating, 100 higher PQI and extra speakers (4.2.2)

However unlike the Q80R Vs Q85R it doesn't come with the one connect box

razy60

Hi, minor problem to solve. My mate has just got a q80t and with his daughters help set it up, she set up the TV+ and now he can't get back to freesat anyone know what to do?, my tv is not connected to normal tv as I only use sky so I don't have the options available, cheers.

brummybloke

Hi, minor problem to solve. My mate has just got a q80t and with his daughters help set it up, she set up the TV+ and now he can't get back to freesat anyone know what to do?, my tv is not connected to normal tv as I only use sky so I don't have the options available, cheers.
I havent set up tv plus but the source button then select tv should take you back to free sat.

brummybloke

Hi brummybloke,

HI, as mentioned by another poster, the samsung employee portal which includes blue light card student beans military and other businesses sign up to it.
The tv is 1190, the q800t sound bar is 720, so I paid out £1910.
The sound bar has £360 cash back taking it down to 1550.
I sold my 55nu8000 and a Sony rgh800 tv stand.
The tv picture and sound is quite a bit better than my nu8000.

They give you 28 days to return no reason needs to be given, so I am keeping my eyes out for any price drops !!!

razy60

I havent set up tv plus but the source button then select tv should take you back to free sat.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid it doesn't, I thought that's what should happen but nope, I got him to factory reset the TV and after some issues with setting up his samsung account (it wouldn't recognise his email and password) it's now back to live TV.
He would still like an answer as would I, anyone?

sparkymark75

How do I know when I'm watching something in HDR on this TV?

On my previous LG OLED, it would popup in the top right when I loaded content. I've fired up the David Attenborough programme on the TVs Netflix app which claims to be in HDR but it doesn't tell me as such when I start the TV programme. If I press the Info button the main remote, it tells me the bitrate, etc but nothing about HDR.

stevie1981

Novice Member
Is anybody else experiencing audio delay issues when using this tv with an xbox one x and a samsung hw-q800t soundbar with dolby atmos enabled?

gumpy321

How do I know when I'm watching something in HDR on this TV?

On my previous LG OLED, it would popup in the top right when I loaded content. I've fired up the David Attenborough programme on the TVs Netflix app which claims to be in HDR but it doesn't tell me as such when I start the TV programme. If I press the Info button the main remote, it tells me the bitrate, etc but nothing about HDR.
Home button, go all the way left to settings and you'll see this:
IMG_20201013_200945.jpg

In the picture mode quick settings is the HDR mode.

There is another way by just pressing enter on the source you're on, but if you have universal remote set up for that device, the source banner doesn't appear.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett