Samsung Q80T Owners thread

aerdnassl

Standard Member
Hi, I own a 55 Q80T and I wanted to understand more about the "game mode". Does it really add something to the experience (less lag, more fps,...) or is it just a set of settings which calibrates properly light, contrast, and so on...?
I agree with other users who do not like this mode at all, and I too think that the colours are a little bit washed out and the blacks look more like grey (I play Resident Evil 2, and really dark scenes - which should be a lot - seem more greysh, which is ridiculous). So am I actually missing something if I never activate this game mode?
Thanks to everyone!

with game mode Samsung turn off all the processing to get the latency down. game mode has a latency of about 13ms where the other modes have a latency of over 100ms making it difficult to play as all your button presses are delayed.

as all the processing and local dimming is turned off on game mode the screen can look very washed out

aerdnassl

Standard Member
Ok, very clear, thanks. It's very difficult to decide between zero latency&terrible colours and good colours&moderate latency... 😂

The Hemulen

Question about the Samsung smart remote shipped with this TV. When I initially set the TV up it detected the Sky Q box and the channel button on the Samsung remote changed Sky channels. Now for some reason it doesn't seem to do so. Can't see where in the menu system to set it to change Sky when TV is on that input. Any clues anyone?

TVEye

Having read through the previous comments, nobody has mentioned Samsung's appalling practice of shipping these TVs with a sticker on the screen that can only be removed with nail varnish remover. Why on earth would they do something as stupid as that? I've also heard that they even put adverts within the operating menus. I hate ads to the extent that I will never watch anything on commercial channels that I haven't pre-recorded, so I would hate to find there is no way of avoiding them in the menu. I read these comments on recent Amazon reviews so assume it must still be happening. I'm deliberately choosing QLED over OLED because I don't want to pay a lot of money for a TV that might only last eight years. My Toshiba Regza is now about 15 years old, but as good as the day I bought it.

The Hemulen

?? I only unpacked this TV this morning and there was a clear, easily removed protective film over the front but certainly no sticker needing varnish remover or the like.

The Hemulen

Yes I had that sticker but it was on the screen protection film not on the actual TV screen. Perhaps the person who sent in that review hadn't noticed the protection film as another reviewer also mentioned?
I've not noticed any adverts in the menus but then I've not used the internal tuner as use Sky Q so perhaps adverts are on the TV Guide page?

TVEye

That's a relief. :) I think the ads are on the internal menu, or more likely the EPG at a guess. The last time I bought a TV it seemed so simple by comparison. There now seems to be all this emphasis on 'true black' yet it doesn't actually exist in the natural world. Then there are people noticing finding their experience spoiled by the 'bloom'. Perhaps it's better to remain in ignorance about that so that I can't be annoyed by it. I think if I bought an OLED TV I'd be constantly looking for signs that the screen wasn't as bright as it once was. Seven or eight years really does seem a very short time for a £1,000+ television to work properly. When ever I used to compare all the televisions at Downtown near Grantham, the ones that always stood out in the crowd were Sonys – before I was close enough to see the makes on them – but now it seems it has to be LG or Samsung. The internal menus (including the EPG) and the design of the remote now seem more important than they ever used to be. This is mainly due to the dreadful experience of a sluggish YouView box, along with its terribly designed remote control. I'm not in the slightest bit interested at talking to my TV, so that facility isn't important to me.

Last edited:

IntelliVolume

would be interested to know how you are enjoying your new QLED TVs?
I think it's safe to say he's very much enjoying it (them?)...

MarioMark

Novice Member
Loving this TV! Initially I was disappointed about how it handles games in game mode because it disables a lot of the great features it has to reduce input lag, but everything looks washed out and grey. But because it has such low latency I think you can still get away with turning game mode off and it’s still perfectly playable. The colours and brightness pop!

brummybloke

Picked up my 65 Q80t a few days ago, coming from a 55nu8000, added the Q800t sound bar as the total price for the package was £1550 ( the sound bar is 50% cash back if bought with a tv).
Only used the tv so far as its perched on my trusty sony rgh800 cinema tv stand so all the sound is coming through that at the moment until I can sell the sony tv stand.

Gaming mode without having long to mess with it seems to over ride the other modes when changing sources back from the ps4 pro and the screen seems more reflective than the nu8000 although the larger screen size has made the screen closer to the window.
I'm hoping once it is wall mounted it will sort that out as its slightly angled at the moment towards the window.
I prefer the older remote, this one the settings button is tiny and I'm a settings fiddler.
The sound is far better than the nu8000 and once hooked up to the Q800t I will see how the Q symphony works out, combining the tv speakers with the sound bar should give some decent noise.

I may have to look at Hdmi extenders when wall mounting as once its on the wall with low profile bracket, changing the leads will be close to impossible. At least with extenders it will be no where near the tv when I swap out the PS4pro for the PS5.

LX200GPS

Does anyone know if this tv (65 inch) is compatible with the Samsung No Gap wall mount. Samsung site mentions other QLED models but not this one. Other sites state the wall bracket is compatible with all QLED models. That might not include the 2020 models so not sure.

Thrupnibits

Saw this TV today in Curry's (55") for £1099. Didnt really want to spend over £1K and went in to look at the 65" TU8500 for £799 or the LG NANO816 (65") for £899.

Not interested in gaming, just films, Netflix, Prime & Football. Is the Q80T worth the extra £300 (for a smaller screen)?

anchorless

Picked up my 65 Q80t a few days ago, coming from a 55nu8000, added the Q800t sound bar as the total price for the package was £1550 ( the sound bar is 50% cash back if bought with a tv).
Only used the tv so far as its perched on my trusty sony rgh800 cinema tv stand so all the sound is coming through that at the moment until I can sell the sony tv stand.

Gaming mode without having long to mess with it seems to over ride the other modes when changing sources back from the ps4 pro and the screen seems more reflective than the nu8000 although the larger screen size has made the screen closer to the window.
I'm hoping once it is wall mounted it will sort that out as its slightly angled at the moment towards the window.
I prefer the older remote, this one the settings button is tiny and I'm a settings fiddler.
The sound is far better than the nu8000 and once hooked up to the Q800t I will see how the Q symphony works out, combining the tv speakers with the sound bar should give some decent noise.

I may have to look at Hdmi extenders when wall mounting as once its on the wall with low profile bracket, changing the leads will be close to impossible. At least with extenders it will be no where near the tv when I swap out the PS4pro for the PS5.
is it a worthwhile upgrade over the NU8000 then? I was thinking of doing the same upgrade next month...

brummybloke

is it a worthwhile upgrade over the NU8000 then? I was thinking of doing the same upgrade next month...
Yes, while the nu8000 is still a great tv, the q80t is just visibly better and audibly better, add in Earc and 2.1 hdmi with better audio and visuals and you are set for the next 2 to 5 years. A mix of the tv sound bar package I got and getting £400 for my 55 inch nu8000 made the upgrade to the 65 inch plus q800t soundbar £1150.

A no brainer

brummybloke

Saw this TV today in Curry's (55") for £1099. Didnt really want to spend over £1K and went in to look at the 65" TU8500 for £799 or the LG NANO816 (65") for £899.

Not interested in gaming, just films, Netflix, Prime & Football. Is the Q80T worth the extra £300 (for a smaller screen)?
If you have access to the blue light card/ employee portal the samsung shop have the 65 q80t for £1190

Thrupnibits

If you have access to the blue light card/ employee portal the samsung shop have the 65 q80t for £1190
Unfortunately I dont brummybloke :(. Is this a staff only jobbie?

A great pity as it seems (sitting 9 and a half feet away), that I do indeed need a 65 @ £1,499.

brummybloke

Unfortunately I dont brummybloke :(. Is this a staff only jobbie?

A great pity as it seems (sitting 9 and a half feet away), that I do indeed need a 65 @ £1,499.
No, blue light card is emergency service so NHS police fire, employee portal is many businesses and student beans is for students. Check to see if your employer is on the scheme or any family members who work for NHS police fire military.
There's no extended warranty but over 300 cheaper.

brummybloke

The Q80T has only two ports that are 2.1 “ish”. One port that is labeled for gaming devices, and another that is labeled for “eArc”. I do not believe they are Interchangeable. I suspect the Gaming port is fully 2.1, but suspect the eArc is dedicated to sound. My research suggests that even if a port is labeled 2.1, it does not necessarily have the “mojo” for Enhanced ARC. That takes dedicated circuitry.
I will have to have a play around as I will be getting the ps5 which will need hdmi port 4 and the q800t sound bar will need hdmi port 3 for Earc.
However what happens when I want to watch a uhd 4k disk ? Will it produce dtsx or atmos through the sound bar or do I need to put the hdmi from ps5 into the sound bar which will then stop it being hdmi 2.1 ?

sparkymark75

I've ordered one of these to replace my aging LG 55EF950V OLED (which has already had the panel replaced under warranty). Did consider another OLED but couldn't pass up getting the 65" version of this TV at just over £1100 via employer discount. Allows me to also upgrade my Sonos PlayBar to the Sonos Arc.

TVEye

Is this trend for sitting so close to the screen a recent thing? I sit nearly 10 feet from my current 32" screen and it would feel silly sitting any closer.

Adarby5053

Novice Member
Having read through the previous comments, nobody has mentioned Samsung's appalling practice of shipping these TVs with a sticker on the screen that can only be removed with nail varnish remover. Why on earth would they do something as stupid as that? I've also heard that they even put adverts within the operating menus. I hate ads to the extent that I will never watch anything on commercial channels that I haven't pre-recorded, so I would hate to find there is no way of avoiding them in the menu. I read these comments on recent Amazon reviews so assume it must still be happening. I'm deliberately choosing QLED over OLED because I don't want to pay a lot of money for a TV that might only last eight years. My Toshiba Regza is now about 15 years old, but as good as the day I bought it.
The sticker is on the protective film. Peel the protective film off.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett