Samsung Q80T or LG NANO 866 / 906

Dillz

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new 55'' TV but don't want to spend more than £1000. My preference is LG, but only because I have one already and really like the interface but I am able to get a Q80T at a reduced price through work. So my choices are;

Q80T @ £880
NANO866 @ £800
NANO916 @ £999

I appreciate that the Q80T represents the best pricing discount over original MRP but is there much difference between the NANO866 and 916. Is it really a 'no brainer' to go for the Q80T purely based on price or is it genuinely a much better TV? The TV will be wall mounted in a very bright room (under velux windows) if that makes a difference. The other important feature to me is 4K 120hz over HDMI 2.1 for gaming, which I gather they all do.

Edit: I should perhaps add Sony XH9005 to the list.....

Last edited:
in daylight yes the LG but Sony and the 80T will be better to view in the night time as my one looked really gray I am going go to a VA screen. also looking at the Sony one.

My advice would be the following:
  1. Don't buy a TV currently, even with the work discount, they are currently overpriced. Another reason not to buy at the moment is because you won't have a chance to return the TV when you try it with the new consoles/PC graphics cards and new features don't work (...and believe me, there are always things that don't work) you won't be able to return the TV.
  2. There's a lot more to buying a TV now than only the signal the TV accepts. Every TV can accept a HDR signal, and some can also accept a 40-120hz VRR signal via the HDMI 2.1 spec too, however only a few of those TVs can actually display HDR to a good standard. If you want to buy LG and get all the boxes checked for future gaming, you need to buy an OLED, not one of their LCD TVs. Sadly this also discounts Sony, because the only TV they have that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR is the XH9005, and the XH9005 is not a capable HDR TV.
  3. Wait to buy at least until Black Friday, discounts will come then, if you can wait even longer than that even better. The best deals are to be found at spring time each year. At very least, wait until you own a HDMI 2.1 source device before buying.
  4. Determine which technology is suited to you: LCD versus OLED if you buy a TV at the right time of year you should be in reach of affording the LG BX OLED which providing everything works okay when HDMI 2.1 sources hit, will be a much better overall TV providing OLED is suited to your viewing.

Thank you for the advice. That all makes sense. My ideal TV would be an LG OLED with G-sync which would pair nicely with the Nvidia RTX3000 series graphics cards, but the LG price tag is currently over my budget.

I'll hang on until black friday and see what deals are around. I don't want to wait too long as this purchase will be to replace my LG main tv which will then be used to replace my 2nd TV, a 2005 Panasonic plasma. It's actually the plasma I'm keen to see the back of.

Would the BX OLED be ok in a bright room? I read in the past that OLED was better in a darker room or is that not the case?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. That all makes sense. My ideal TV would be an LG OLED with G-sync which would pair nicely with the Nvidia RTX3000 series graphics cards, but the LG price tag is currently over my budget.

I'll hang on until black friday and see what deals are around. I don't want to wait too long as this purchase will be to replace my LG main tv which will then be used to replace my 2nd TV, a 2005 Panasonic plasma. It's actually the plasma I'm keen to see the back of.

Would the BX OLED be ok in a bright room? I read in the past that OLED was better in a darker room or is that not the case?

Thank you.
Historically the B range of OLEDs have been reduced to the sub 1k mark in time, it just may not be as soon as Black Friday. Last year the B9 hit £1100 during that time, this year the BX is already cheaper than the B9 was the same time last year...so its promising. Each year prices get cheaper and cheaper as they manage to reduce production costs.

I think if you can consider the LG Nano9 now, then the LG BX should be in budget if you're patient. Just be wary of what I said, its a bit fishy as yet whether it will work properly with the new HDMI devices, so sit tight and let other people test it first.

The rumour in question is that the compared to the CX the TV runs an older picture processor, and may not be able to support 4k 40-120hz VRR gaming with HDR engaged, could be a real sucker punch if that turns out to be true considering that is the future of gaming.

My advice would be the following:
  1. Don't buy a TV currently, even with the work discount, they are currently overpriced. Another reason not to buy at the moment is because you won't have a chance to return the TV when you try it with the new consoles/PC graphics cards and new features don't work (...and believe me, there are always things that don't work) you won't be able to return the TV.
  2. There's a lot more to buying a TV now than only the signal the TV accepts. Every TV can accept a HDR signal, and some can also accept a 40-120hz VRR signal via the HDMI 2.1 spec too, however only a few of those TVs can actually display HDR to a good standard. If you want to buy LG and get all the boxes checked for future gaming, you need to buy an OLED, not one of their LCD TVs. Sadly this also discounts Sony, because the only TV they have that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR is the XH9005, and the XH9005 is not a capable HDR TV.
  3. Wait to buy at least until Black Friday, discounts will come then, if you can wait even longer than that even better. The best deals are to be found at spring time each year. At very least, wait until you own a HDMI 2.1 source device before buying.
  4. Determine which technology is suited to you: LCD versus OLED if you buy a TV at the right time of year you should be in reach of affording the LG BX OLED which providing everything works okay when HDMI 2.1 sources hit, will be a much better overall TV providing OLED is suited to your viewing.
1.I would understand waiting 6-12 months to buy a house but to buy a TV it doesn't really make sense to me.
2. Black friday most of the time is just adding 800 to old price and then reduce it 900 so it looks like it's a bargain.
3. Xh9005 is no good for a real hdr gaming? It's recommended as a best gaming TV for a price literally everywhere... whats the problem with it ?
4. Oleds are not best for gaming because of the burning in issue.

Not attacking, just trying to verify the "knowledge" I've gained from reading online as a few facts doesn't match and I'm looking for one myself recently 😅

1. You can buy a TV when you want, but expect to pay roughly up to a 40% premium if you're buying a TV from 2021 now, compared to later in the year. New TV prices are inflated on launch to make discounts look better later. The only real exception to this rule is Hisense/TCL, but even their prices are slightly higher.
2. There's a noticeable dip in almost all TV prices come black friday each year.
3. It doesn't get bright enough, people who recommend it for HDR gaming do not know much about HDR, and are recommending it because of its 4k 120hz capable ports. If you try to use HDR on a TV that doesn't get bright enough you get a washed out image, or its too dark.
4. Depends what game you play, plenty of people game on OLEDs without a problem, they are by far the best gaming TVs in my opinion, they have next to no motion blur. Games like football manager or FIFA would be risky if played a lot with static huds and elements, other games not so much.

1. You can buy a TV when you want, but expect to pay roughly up to a 40% premium if you're buying a TV from 2021 now, compared to later in the year. New TV prices are inflated on launch to make discounts look better later. The only real exception to this rule is Hisense/TCL, but even their prices are slightly higher.
2. There's a noticeable dip in almost all TV prices come black friday each year.
3. It doesn't get bright enough, people who recommend it for HDR gaming do not know much about HDR, and are recommending it because of its 4k 120hz capable ports. If you try to use HDR on a TV that doesn't get bright enough you get a washed out image, or its too dark.
4. Depends what game you play, plenty of people game on OLEDs without a problem, they are by far the best gaming TVs in my opinion, they have next to no motion blur. Games like football manager or FIFA would be risky if played a lot with static huds and elements, other games not so much.
Yeah that's my main concern.
GTA, FIFA etc with the same stuff in a same place all the time. How long of a regular usage does it take to visibly burn it ? A year ? 5 ?

Yeah that's my main concern.
GTA, FIFA etc with the same stuff in a same place all the time. How long of a regular usage does it take to visibly burn it ? A year ? 5 ?

You can use those results to work it out from your usage, divide 5000h by your usage in a year and you'll get a good estimate. For example 8h a week, 48weeks a year is about 13 years but if you play 16 hours its 6.5.

That test is valid now for new models apart from ones that are using LGs new panel type like the LG G1, Sony A80J/A90J which are said to be more durable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom