Samsung Q80T and Q800T - Dolby Atmos Issue

Cuemaster71

Novice Member
Hi all, this is my first post, I've been reading on here for a while now trying to find any advice for an issue I have but nothing I've tried seems to work.
Last month I bought a 75" Q80T and a Q70T soundbar to go with it. I connected them via the eARC ports, and then had my V6 box connected to the TV. I changed the settings on the V6 box to output Digital Audio, and set the TV to passthrough. When I put BTSport Ultimate on, the little screen on the soundbar doesn't say Dolby Atmos, and the sound can only be described as tinny. (SW is connected and working btw)
I went back to Currys and after they spoke to Samsung they said the soundbar was faulty, so they swapped it for a Q800T (didn't have any Q70s in stock). When I got home and hooked it up, it sounded exactly the same.
To rule out this being an issue with my V6 box, I downloaded the atmos demos from Demolandia that someone on here mentioned, and when I play them on my tv I hear a voiceover saying I'm hearing this because I need to enable bitstreaming on my blu-ray player (which I don't have, as it's on USB).
I'm pretty sure the HDMI cables I'm using are eARC compatible, but to rule them out I ordered some of the Amazonbasics cables that were recommended on here. They've just arrived and made no difference at all.
I've got a few movies on my USB that are encoded with Atmos (someone on here recommended Midway so I got a 60GB version of that) and when I watch that, the little screen on the soundbar doesn't say Atmos. The only thing I've managed to get playing that makes the screen say Atmos is The Mandalorian, and although the sound is loud and clear, it's not exactly what I'd class as cinema quality or "filling the room" in the way Samsung claim on their website.
Have I got a faulty TV? It can't really be the soundbar or cables as I've swapped them both out. I've got my config and settings how I've read it should be set.
Any advice is welcome (and sorry for the essay, just want to get it all here for reference)

chopples

Distinguished Member
When I put BTSport Ultimate on, the little screen on the soundbar doesn't say Dolby Atmos, and the sound can only be described as tinny. (SW is connected and working btw)

Hi mate, not every match has atmos but in order to get atmos to work with my Samsung Q7F, whilst the game is on, select Dolby Digital + within the sound settings on the TV.

I downloaded the atmos demos from Demolandia that someone on here mentioned, and when I play them on my tv I hear a voiceover saying I'm hearing this because I need to enable bitstreaming on my blu-ray player (which I don't have, as it's on USB).
I'm pretty sure the HDMI cables I'm using are eARC compatible, but to rule them out I ordered some of the Amazonbasics cables that were recommended on here. They've just arrived and made no difference at all.
I've got a few movies on my USB that are encoded with Atmos (someone on here recommended Midway so I got a 60GB version of that) and when I watch that, the little screen on the soundbar doesn't say Atmos. The only thing I've managed to get playing that makes the screen say Atmos is The Mandalorian,

The TV supports EARC but TV manufacturers limit this to HDMI connected devices only (such as a streamer or bluray player). Onboard apps only support ARC, if your rips are from UHD disks then the atmos will most certainly be contained within a true HD container so won't work from an onboard app. The Mandalorian has probably been ripped off from Disney plus so will be in a Dolby Digital Plus container and should work as it only requires ARC.

I am not sure what demos you downloaded from Demolandia but as above only the ones with DD+ (not true hd) will work.

Have I got a faulty TV? It can't really be the soundbar or cables as I've swapped them both out. I've got my config and settings how I've read it should be set.
I would say no mate, I think part of your issue is using the onboard app/media player to play files with lossless atmos audio, which will not work. For the rest I would suggest whilst the file is playing that you check the audio options and make sure it is set to Dolby Digital Plus.

Cuemaster71

Novice Member
Hi mate, not every match has atmos but in order to get atmos to work with my Samsung Q7F, whilst the game is on, select Dolby Digital + within the sound settings on the TV.

The TV supports EARC but TV manufacturers limit this to HDMI connected devices only (such as a streamer or bluray player). Onboard apps only support ARC, if your rips are from UHD disks then the atmos will most certainly be contained within a true HD container so won't work from an onboard app. The Mandalorian has probably been ripped off from Disney plus so will be in a Dolby Digital Plus container and should work as it only requires ARC.

I am not sure what demos you downloaded from Demolandia but as above only the ones with DD+ (not true hd) will work.

I would say no mate, I think part of your issue is using the onboard app/media player to play files with lossless atmos audio, which will not work. For the rest I would suggest whilst the file is playing that you check the audio options and make sure it is set to Dolby Digital Plus.
This is just the advice I needed, thanks so much. It makes perfect sense. The stuff I’ve downloaded is True HD, even the demolandia stuff, and I’m playing it via usb stick like I used to on my old (non-atmos) tv.

So if I understand this correctly, I need to get something like a Kodi box that I can hook up via HDMI to the tv, and then I can use the True HD stuff I’ve already got. Or alternatively just use DD+ content via USB.

Snake Plissken 1997

This is just the advice I needed, thanks so much. It makes perfect sense. The stuff I’ve downloaded is True HD, even the demolandia stuff, and I’m playing it via usb stick like I used to on my old (non-atmos) tv.

So if I understand this correctly, I need to get something like a Kodi box that I can hook up via HDMI to the tv, and then I can use the True HD stuff I’ve already got. Or alternatively just use DD+ content via USB.
nVidia Shiled is a great box for ATMOS, I have a 2017 version which nVidia don't advertise as ATMOS friendly as they want to sell their newer version.
Kodi is not as easy to set up as some say so I use SPMC which is a fork of Kodi.

I almost returned my Q950T due to lack of ATMOS content, then realised how many movies are being reissued with a DD HD 7.1 ATMOS soundtrack.
It changes the movie altogether, watching Blade Runner was an amazing experience, especially the thunder.

Cuemaster71

Novice Member
nVidia Shiled is a great box for ATMOS, I have a 2017 version which nVidia don't advertise as ATMOS friendly as they want to sell their newer version.
Kodi is not as easy to set up as some say so I use SPMC which is a fork of Kodi.

I almost returned my Q950T due to lack of ATMOS content, then realised how many movies are being reissued with a DD HD 7.1 ATMOS soundtrack.
It changes the movie altogether, watching Blade Runner was an amazing experience, especially the thunder.

Im feeling more positive about the whole thing now. I was reading earlier on the BT website forum about how most matches this season haven’t been in Atmos, and lots of people complaining to BT about it, so although that’s not a good thing, at least I know it’s not my equipment or settings. Also I went through all the films I’ve currently got on my HD in Format Factory and figured out that only a few were in Dolby Digital Plus, and when I played them the soundbar screen said Dolby Atmos. The TrueHD stuff didn’t however, and that makes sense to me now.

So now my task is to convince my wife that we need an Nvidia Shield so that the soundbar she didn’t want anyway will work properly 😁

FWIW I watched Chaos Walking last night (good film if you’ve not seen it) and the whispering voices that are such a big part of it sounded really effective. I wouldn’t exactly say they were all around the room, but they weren’t completely flat sounding like with basic speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom