Samsung Q80R HDMI 2.1 update possible?

wardener007

Novice Member
Hi,

So the next gen console PS5 is coming within few weeks and I read from different sources that PS5 will support HDMI 2.1. If I understood this right, HDMI 2.1 means that it can display up to 4k @ 120fps games on PS5 or XBSX. Now I am not certain if my television Samsung Q80R (US version) will be able to display true 4k at 120fps or won't? Secondly, is it possible that Samsung could release a firmware update to have HDMI 2.1 support so it could display true 4k @ 120fps or would that need full internal hardware panel inside the tv to be replaced? Thanks

Delta38

I was reading the Q80R only supports 120 Hz @ 2.5k .
Not 120 Hz @ 4k so it might work with input Lag of 15- 17 Milli Seconds.
It says it has a Native Refresh Rate of 120 Hz with HDMI 2.1.
Was reading VB Games Beat or Type Q80R in Google for more info.
What it does is let you play without Burn In worries.
So looking to Buy PS5 or XBOX 1 X should work .
Not sure if Samsung will release a firmware Update for 4k @ 120 Hz ?
What Size TV is it ? the Bigger the Better.

Last edited:

cuke2u

It is very unlikely that HDMI 2.0 ports can be upgraded fully to 2.1 HDMI 2.1 Explained | Everything You Need To Know | Digital Trends No the xbox series x does not run hot, a off the cuff statement by a dubious reviewer quickly retracted. Yes it has a single outlet that discharges the air and like any PC that will be warm. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be doing its job properly...

Delta38

So I took down the comment about the Xbox 1 X running hot ?
Early Testers of the Consul made comments about heat.
We all have our Favorites and PlayStation does VR.

DiscoFighter

Novice Member
I have a Samsung Q80R with One Connect and now after a latest PS5 update, I see 120Hz as supported but the chroma is set to YUV420 which is sad.
I am ok with 60Hz but needs those lost colors and now I cant set it back to YUV422 like earlier

Attachments

• 120.png
    120.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 103

Jay53

I have a Samsung Q80R with One Connect and now after a latest PS5 update, I see 120Hz as supported but the chroma is set to YUV420 which is sad.
I am ok with 60Hz but needs those lost colors and now I cant set it back to YUV422 like earlier

Not sure what you mean. It's RGB/YUV4:4:4 for 60hz and yuv4:2:0 for 120hz as that's the maximum the TV can support at 120hz

DiscoFighter

Novice Member
Not sure what you mean. It's RGB/YUV4:4:4 for 60hz and yuv4:2:0 for 120hz as that's the maximum the TV can support at 120hz
I mean to say, even though Q80r is not HDMI 2.1 after the new ps5 update I see it's now capable to do 4k 120hz with YUV420
Prior to the ps5 update it was maxed to 4k 60 YUV422 and no 120hz.

Jay53

I mean to say, even though Q80r is not HDMI 2.1 after the new ps5 update I see it's now capable to do 4k 120hz with YUV420
Prior to the ps5 update it was maxed to 4k 60 YUV422 and no 120hz.

The us 80r and UK 85r have always been able to do 4k/120hz HDR yuv 4:2:0. The issue was the PS5 didn't support this as it supported 4k/120 yuv 4:2:2

It now supports it but in addition to that it would appear they have also upped 4k/60 support to RGB/YUV4:4:4 as this is the other mode that our TV supports on port 4 beyond the hdmi 2.0 spec which maxes out at 4k/60 yuv 4:2:2

Last edited:

Danielcox

Novice Member
The us 80r and UK 85r have always been able to do 4k/120hz HDR yuv 4:2:0. The issue was the PS5 didn't support this as it supported 4k/120 yuv 4:2:2

It now supports it but in addition to that it would appear they have also upped 4k/60 support to RGB/YUV4:4:4 as this is the other mode that our TV supports on port 4 beyond the hdmi 2.0 spec which maxes out at 4k/60 yuv 4:2:2
Hi Jay.

Last month I acquired a Samsung Q80R 65 "TV. But even though I know that PS5 has released the update to be able to play at 4K and 120 fps on Samsung televisions I have not been able to configure any game with these characteristics. I have the Dirt 5 game And I have also tried to do it in Fornite and whenever the game changes to the frequency of 120 fps in automatic, the resolution changes to 1080. Why is this if both the console and the TV are up to date?

Jay53

Hi Jay.

Last month I acquired a Samsung Q80R 65 "TV. But even though I know that PS5 has released the update to be able to play at 4K and 120 fps on Samsung televisions I have not been able to configure any game with these characteristics. I have the Dirt 5 game And I have also tried to do it in Fornite and whenever the game changes to the frequency of 120 fps in automatic, the resolution changes to 1080. Why is this if both the console and the TV are up to date?

Sorry, I was under the impression the US Q80R was similar to the UK Q85R as the UK Q80R is missing features in comparison to the US Q80R.

It would appear they differ in one fundamental way and that is the UK q85r has a one connect box. It is port 4 on the one connect box that supports these modes whereas the rest of the 2019 Qled range below this model have hdmi ports on the back of the TV all of which are only hdmi 2.0b

If for no other reason the UK q85r really should be grouped with the q90r on this forum as other than number of dimming zones they seem to have more in common than the q80r?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom