Samsung Q80R 4K QLED TV Review & Comments

Strikes me as the omission of the One Connect Box is a big mistake. If I was going for a Samsung that is what I see as one of its few plus points.

Last edited:
Strikes me as the omission of the One Connect Box is a big mistake. If I was going for a Samsung that it what I see as one of its few plus points.
Me too, having the one connect box just means i have another box under my tv, I'd rather they used some clever cable management instead so your cables are hidden going to the tv.

I take it this has the same Lip Sync issues via Dolby Digital ARC that all the other 2019 QLEDs has. Would be nice for reviewers to actually mark down the TV for this so it forces Samsung to pull their finger out and fix.

Would you say the XF9005 is still better overall, particularly for PQ compared to this and the Q70R when it can be had for ÂŁ999 (65 inch)?

It's pretty mean of them to only have the one connect box on the high end tellys. I have it on a mid range mu7000 that cost me 700 quid almost 2 years ago and it's a great feature. It was cost effective on that model so see no reason they can't keep it on mid range ones now. Other than to differentiate models.

@Phil Hinton Thanks for the review

This TV only has something like 10x5 zones - which means that each zone is pretty large.

Given that we had sets in 2016 with around 650 zones (Sony ZD9) why are we not seeing any LCD sets with more than 1,000 zones? Are they very expensive to produce?

This TV only has something like 10x5 zones - which means that each zone is pretty large.
It has exactly that, as I say in the review (50 zones).

Given that we had sets in 2016 with around 650 zones (Sony ZD9) why are we not seeing any LCD sets with more than 1,000 zones? Are they very expensive to produce?
It is expensive and managing to create the algorithms for the dimming control is also difficult. We will see more advances I am sure.

It's pretty mean of them to only have the one connect box on the high end tellys. I have it on a mid range mu7000 that cost me 700 quid almost 2 years ago and it's a great feature. It was cost effective on that model so see no reason they can't keep it on mid range ones now. Other than to differentiate models.
On the grand scale of things must cost next to nothing considering how many sets they flog a year.

Hi,

I'm in doubt between the QE55Q80R from Samsung and the KD55XG950 from Sony which has dolby vision and It's now on the same price. Which would you guys recommend?

I wish that too. My current LG 55sj810v only seems to have 6 zones (3 x 3) and frankly, it's bloody annoying either on or off! Off, blacks are all grey and On, you can see it in action. Good TV other than inadequate dimming.

Are they trying to force us to swith to oled!

I wish that too. My current LG 55sj810v only seems to have 6 zones (3 x 3) and frankly, it's bloody annoying either on or off! Off, blacks are all grey and On, you can see it in action. Good TV other than inadequate dimming.

Are they trying to force us to swith to oled!

Hisense released a model with thousands of zones last year but it was still not as good as the Q9FN and Sony XF9005. The dimming algorithm is almost more important than zone counts.

Guys, is there somewhere a nice summary of the final calibrated settings you used? I would love to give it a try and compare various sets of config.
thanks

They have the same nominal peak brightness.
Really? Other reviews and comparison sites have the 80R down as around 1100 Nits and the 85R as 1500 Nits.

I'm currently considering a purchase of the 80R though, so happy to accept I'm wrong if you have another source?

Really? Other reviews and comparison sites have the 80R down as around 1100 Nits and the 85R as 1500 Nits.

I'm currently considering a purchase of the 80R though, so happy to accept I'm wrong if you have another source?

Two reviews on here have them both pegged at c1100 nits. It’s mentioned in the review linked in first post here.

Both have notional nit levels of 1500 according to Samsung but that’ll be in vivid mode.

Managed to get the 55" q80 for ÂŁ750 direct from Samsung, I'm very happy so far. Anyone got any decent picture settings they would like to share?

I've been looking at the same deal but the poxy 12 month warranty is putting me off.
ÂŁ899 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty and free soundbar (via cashback direct from Samsung) might be the way I go instead.

Was the initial outlay for me to go for the cashback deal, although I could afford it I am sceptical of Samsung's cashback hoops. Plus I didn't want a Samsung soundbar, I bought a Sony one after trying the various options.1 year warranty isn't great though. It's a cracking TV though.

Good review on AVF thanks, nearly went for the Q80 now its 749 on Samsung Employee portal, great deal but have since watched a US review which reports the US version has twice as many dimming zones (96) so more like the Q85, also read that the Q80 does not support DTS when played from a NAS/USB source, so along with no Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1 (officially) and eARC, missing looking like I would not have a very future proof TV. Have an 9 year old LG 55 inch with Micro LED dimming (90 zones) so a bit of a disappointment about the UK Q80 version only having 50. Very good price though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom