Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Preview

Thanks for the information Is it possible to provide some further details or close up pictures eg as the one connect box is not present, what impact has this had on
  1. the TV thickness - is it thick as a brick now?
  2. is the back of it entirely flat like the others in the range?
  3. where are the inputs out puts etc, in the middle or on the sides
  4. With the extra weight of the connect box insides being in the panel , is the center stand still there?
  5. Dimming Zones, it has less than the flagship, but how many less or more that last years 8k?
  6. is the number of dimming zone constant across the various sizes?
  7. is the number of dimming zones more that last years flagship? Samsung is tricky [manufacturing efficient], as it would not surprise me that they take last years flagship and make it the bottom of their 8k range this year.
  8. is the screen filter to minimize reflections still in use?
  9. what did the remote look like?
looking forward to when you get a set to test.

Lots of talk about affordability but unless I am in need of glasses, no actual mention of price!

According to this video it seems that last years 4k models will be better than this years. It will be interesting to see how this compares with last years Q950R.

According to this video it seems that last years 4k models will be better than this years. It will be interesting to see how this compares with last years Q950R.

Yep, samsung is going out all 8k. This years 4k will be very much middle tier in terms of preference.

interesting video, indeed FOMO really puts some analysis behind his content/thoughts and where there informational density, he presents summary charts to make it easier for the viewer to follow. I do hope that the information he has is not correct as think a Samsung 4k at 75 inch screen size will be a good cheaper alternative than a Samsung 8K at 75 inches.

But coming back to this preview as there is no connect box, is there any impact on the TV design? I presume that people who actually saw the TV can comment?

Last edited:
Not looking good for this TV from what I can see so far.

Well oled is untouchable? So future tech is useless and has lost the battle. Its based on his opinion oled is better overall tv. He ain't a pro. I'm sure I just watched one video where he was praising the Q800T. I have a C9 but it has weakness. It ain't perfect

Well oled is untouchable? So future tech is useless and has lost the battle. Its based on his opinion oled is better overall tv. He ain't a pro. I'm sure I just watched one video where he was praising the Q800T. I have a C9 but it has weakness. It ain't perfect
I watched a few of his videos and from what i see he praised it before he'd even tried a QLED. He was more excited to try one more than anything as he'd never had a Samsung TV or QLED before. But once he set it up and had it for 2 weeks he was super harsh on it. He may not be an expert but he does try a lot of TV's out. That's one opinion on it and people can watch his videos and see for themselves. Any information is good when a TV is big and costs thousands. Nothing worse than getting a big TV home setting it up then realising it has to be took apart and shipped back. No TV is perfect. If they made a perfect one you wouldn't upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a few of his videos and from what i see he praised it before he'd even tried a QLED. He was more excited to try one more than anything as he'd never had a Samsung TV or QLED before. But once he set it up and had it for 2 weeks he was super harsh on it. He may not be an expert but he does try a lot of TV's out. That's one opinion on it and people can watch his videos and see for themselves. Any information is good when a TV is big and costs thousands. Nothing worse than getting a big TV home setting it up then realising it has to be took apart and shipped back. No TV is perfect. If they made a perfect one you wouldn't upgrade.
People are expecting state art performance from an LCD. He's definitely wrong thinking oled is the best there is, it is most of the time, but its not for everyone. I do believe samsung has made many mistakes. But the surprise things is last year samsung sold more qleds than anticipated. Even if you solved all qled lcd based problems, people will a look if any drewbacks. Even if a tv is prefect I still would upgrade once something better comes out lol. Sony ZG9 is at fantastic price. I would buy one tomorrow if I was single, not the best blacks, but fantastic with other key areas. Hope you enjoying your Q90r

People are expecting state art performance from an LCD. He's definitely wrong thinking oled is the best there is, it is most of the time, but its not for everyone. I do believe samsung has made many mistakes. But the surprise things is last year samsung sold more qleds than anticipated. Even if you solved all qled lcd based problems, people will a look if any drewbacks. Even if a tv is prefect I still would upgrade once something better comes out lol. Sony ZG9 is at fantastic price. I would buy one tomorrow if I was single, not the best blacks, but fantastic with other key areas. Hope you enjoying your Q90r
I think the reason Samsung sold so many last year was because of the bundle deals. When i bought my Q90R last year it came with a free high end Samsung soundbar the Q70R and a 5yr warranty all for like £1100. Hughes currently have them bundled with a free soundbar for £1299 i think it is. They flew off the shelves when i was buying mine. And when people walked in asking for the best they were guided to the Panasonic OLED isle. I bought one of them as well. lol Going to be buying the high end Samsung 8K as soon as i can, give that a whirl. Cheers.

Well, I'm after this TV, I know there isn't any 8K programs to watch, but as I'm getting a new tv it would be silly not to, my current tv is a Panasonic 902b 65 inches, had it for 4 years now, and i sure this Samsung should be an upgrade to the Panasonic

I was really interested in the 55 inch model and after seeing the HDTV test review of the q80t which was £100 less than the model it was replacing at £1600 thought the q800t would be £2600 as its supposed to be replacing the q90r 55 inch which was £2700 at launch but prices so far are £2999. Not that interested anymore. Will see how the q90/95t reviews.

I was really interested in the 55 inch model and after seeing the HDTV test review of the q80t which was £100 less than the model it was replacing at £1600 thought the q800t would be £2600 as its supposed to be replacing the q90r 55 inch which was £2700 at launch but prices so far are £2999. Not that interested anymore. Will see how the q90/95t reviews.
I'm not sure, but on a 55 inch, can you tell it's 8K??

I'm not sure, but on a 55 inch, can you tell it's 8K??
Hi, fair question but the wrong question, I don't know if you can tell if it's 8k but don't care. This thread reads like the only concern for this TV is 8k. For me 1, processing power, 2, black level, 3, viewing angle, 4, motion handling, and then resolution. My current 50 inch kuro is only 720p but has great processing you can't tell its not full hd. As the q800t is the replacement for the q90r I'm interested in 1 to 4 and would be even if it was 4k but there is no 4k version. The question is how much am I paying or wiling to pay to get 1 to 4 while forced to pay extra for 8k which I don't appear to want, however I suspect the 4k qled tech has maxed out and allthough there is no 8k to watch the upscaling of 4k to 8k may produce a better picture even if you can't tell its 8k.

Hi, fair question but the wrong question, I don't know if you can tell if it's 8k but don't care. This thread reads like the only concern for this TV is 8k. For me 1, processing power, 2, black level, 3, viewing angle, 4, motion handling, and then resolution. My current 50 inch kuro is only 720p but has great processing you can't tell its not full hd. As the q800t is the replacement for the q90r I'm interested in 1 to 4 and would be even if it was 4k but there is no 4k version. The question is how much am I paying or wiling to pay to get 1 to 4 while forced to pay extra for 8k which I don't appear to want, however I suspect the 4k qled tech has maxed out and allthough there is no 8k to watch the upscaling of 4k to 8k may produce a better picture even if you can't tell its 8k.

Ok, so you're getting a new tv, just because you want good picture, not for 8k?
Hi, absolutely,
Ok, so you're getting a new tv, just because you want good picture, not for 8k?
Hi, that's right, the 55 inch q800t should have the best processing, dimming zones etc to produce the best picture at that size. The unfortunate issue is its 8k. There should be a 4k version. The top 4k will be the q90t or q95t which as I understand is the replacement for the q80r. The issue for 8k is the cost. The q90r is currently £1400, the 55 inch 8k from last year is £2000. Based on that the q800t will not get to a price point I'm willing to pay just because its 8k. My hope is the q90t may review well enough to consider.

So if I'm just watching sky and blu rays is there any noticeable difference between this and the 900T

Hi the 900t is the next 8k model up and apparently has the same screen, if you mean the 90t 4k until there is a side by side review it's n/k. It appears to also depend on what size screen as people are saying 8k is more noticeable the larger the screen. But the 800t will have better processing, more dimming zones etc so in theory should produce a better picture at any size. For me it would have to be significantly better to justify the extra cost.

I was comparing to the 900t or 950t. I get Sony tvs cheap but they have nothing new now this year apart from the Xh95 and its no better than what I have. I don't think I want OLED so it seems Samsung is the way to go but my budget is £3k max. Again I don't think I will see much improvement over the 90T and my own so will have to wait for this tv to come down in price

I was comparing to the 900t or 950t. I get Sony tvs cheap but they have nothing new now this year apart from the Xh95 and its no better than what I have. I don't think I want OLED so it seems Samsung is the way to go but my budget is £3k max. Again I don't think I will see much improvement over the 90T and my own so will have to wait for this tv to come down in price
Hi, this is why I think Samsung has made a mistake this year, the 90t 55 inch is £2000 the 95t is £300 more for the one connect box. The performance is on a par with the 90r which is £1350. While still in stock I doubt many 90t's will be sold. If it had been an improvement no issue. Your budget gets the 55 inch 800t the entry level 8k set, so £1000 for 8k. I wanted the tech in the 8k sets in a 4k version but they didn't make it so by pushing 8k there is nothing in their line up for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom