Question Samsung Q7F screen tear issues

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by mypantsarealive, Mar 12, 2018.

1. mypantsarealive

mypantsarealive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys n girls - first post, please be gentle! Sorry if I haven't posted in the right place either :)

For better, or worse, and under much protest from my good lady a month ago I upgraded our TV/Audio set up to a Samsung Q7F with a YSP2700 Soundbar. I also have an Xbox One X and a virgin (cable/fibre optic) TiVo V6 box (latest model at time of post). All inputs are going in/via to the Samsung One Connect box.

One Connect box is set up as follows: HDMI1 - TiVo/Virgin, HDMI2 - YSP2600 (soundbar), HDMI3 - Xbox One X.

So recently the bottom fifth of the screen has started tearing (screen tearing) while we have been watching Virgin/TiVo through HDMI1. The TV menu doesn't have the screen tear while it is happening, it's literally just whatever is being broadcast by Virgin, it also happens with recorded TV. The issue doesn't happen when using the xbox on HDMI3. I started problem checking by looking through the aspect ratios and replacing the 4K HDMI cable for the TiVo/Virgin, the issue continued.
    IMG_0827.jpg

A virgin/tivo engineer has been out 3 times, completely changed the cabling in to our house and has replaced the TiVo box and checked the settings, and the tearing still happens. Virgin are adamant that it's not their equipment and that is unlikely to be an issue with their network either, as it would affect all local residents. I am left to assume it's either a faulty port on the Samsung One Connect box or something in the settings of the TV that's conflicting with the Virgin/TiVo throughput.

Has anyone seen this before and can anyone recommend a fix? It's driving me insane! Ta muchly :)

2. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Have you tried connecting the Xbox to the affected port and trying it,what about a blue ray or dvd player straight into the port? Sounds ike a fault with the hdmi input,is there any settings that can be altered on the TVs menu for each individual hdmi port?

3. barney007

barney007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Put Xbox one in to hdmi 1 (where the fault is)

If the Xbox plays fine, then it' the TiVo equipment

As a second check
    Put the TiVo box from hdmi into hdmi 3 (where you know is fine cause your Xbox works) if it screen tears in hdmi 3 it' the TiVo box.

Simples

4. mypantsarealive

mypantsarealive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fellas, I’ve switched the HDMI ports and am waiting to see if the issue returns.

5. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super interested in this as I have this same intermittent issue with my KS7000! I have an Xbox one, Virgin V6 and Media PC connected into a Denon AVR2300 - Then outputted into HDMI4 of the One connect box/TV. No issue with the Xbox, but have tried 2 V6 box's, multiple HDMI leads and taken the AVR out of the loop. I have had the One Connect box replaced and had the screen replaced but the intermittent fault keeps returning. It tends to appear at the bottom of the screen after a few hours and gradually inches up the screen over about 10 mins until it reaches the top and then image resets. 20 mins later the cycle continues again. It can also be "reset" by turning the tv off/on, switching the source or removing and reinserting any of the HDMI leads in the circuit. The fault does not go when changing channels and is not part of the recording. I have lots of images and videos if it helps anyone diagnose, any help if greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

6. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Is it still under warranty?

7. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I've had this before on my ks7000 too, but only twice. Once from a ps3 playing a dvd connected via hdmi and the second streaming football from laptop via hdmi. The second occasion was worst as the tearing was slowly rising up the screen. Not had it since. Think I might have posted on here about it at the time.

8. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just under a year old. I discussed with Samsung support a few months back who after a lot of faffing about agreed to send an engineer (Martin Dawes ltd) who have changed the One Connect box and have since changed the panel. TV was purchased through Richer Sounds who directed me to Samsung who directed me to Martin Dawes (I do also have the 6 year warranty with RS) next step on this already long road is for Martin Dawes to come and collect my TV and test for 48hrs. My worry is that due to the intermittent nature it will come back and I will be left to go round the loop with RS. I want to try and be as informed as possible as the only thing left to change on the TV is the main board.

9. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, It appears to happen most when watching the F1 in HD. Could be because its on the TV for hours so more chance of occurring?

10. mypantsarealive

mypantsarealive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was tearing my hair out with this so I know how frustrating it is!

To fix the issue I simply swapped the HDMI 1 and HDMI3 inputs on the One Connect box. It stopped tearing straight away. Good luck!

11. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, glad you found a solution! I will give another HDMI input a try but I use HDMI 4 as this utilises the ARC protocol. It's frustrating that the fault isn't always displayed, makes any testing really laborious.

12. oldskoolfool

oldskoolfool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just bought the q6f and am having the same issue, TiVo box connected to Xbox one x connected to hdmi1. I also get random dropouts where the screen goes black then returns again after about a half second. I have now connected the TiVo to hdmi2 and the Xbox remains in hdmi1. No issues as yet but will see how it goes.

Got the new v6(?) box being delivered on Wednesday so hoping that will be the end of it...

13. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So... i'm still getting the tearing when using HDMI1, also tried switching various UHD/resolution/tv GAME settings off and on but still get the fault.
    I understanding that drop out and temp pixelation can be linked to the Virgin feed but Virgin seem quite adamant the tearing element isn't a problem they get so ???

I hope the V6 box fixes your issue but I have two and it presents on both, will be interesting to know how you get on as i'm still unsure if its virgins equipment or Samsungs. Hard to know who I should be cross with.

14. mypantsarealive

mypantsarealive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried a factory reset and then upgraded the OS on the TV?

15. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Samsung support factory reset my TV, updated the firmware (1208) and reset/updated the HDMI ports. Then the TV engineers also factory reset my system when they changed my One Connect box. Not sure if it had a reset when the screen was changed as I wasn't in but it seems common practice when anything is altered. All the Virgin Boxes have also had resets.

16. oldskoolfool

oldskoolfool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Swapped the TiVo out to hdmi2 and have not had any issues yet, although I have only viewed an hour or two of tv. No dropouts either but not holding my breath.

17. mypantsarealive

mypantsarealive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the following information - it seems the different HDMI ports are perhaps assigned to different standards...the obvious case being HDMI (ARC) for sound bars.

The following is particularly interesting to note: “As a rule, all connectors on the TV are absolutely the same functionality and division into types (STB, MHL, ARC, DVI) is purely conventional (except MHL) and is intended to facilitate the selection of the user where that include, for example, a video player. In order that would have connectors designed for different purposes, such as one connector should be standard 1.3, in time when other is 1.4, only in this case they will have different functionality. However, some companies use diferrent types of HDMI.”

See below for the full article:
    HDMI (STB, DVI, ARC, MHL) designation, description, differences.

If I’m understanding this correctly, we need to understand which functions are best run out of which HDMI ports according to their standards so that the TV CPU can process the throughput correctly without the tearing. So according to the website:

HDMI (STB) - use for consoles (Xbox, PS etc.)
    HDMI (DVI) - use for TV
    HDMI (ARC) - use for sound
    HDMI (MHL) - use for video input from phone/tablet etc.

Also - after chatting with a Samsung support technician they have confirmed that there are some OS issues. They did mention screen resolution of the input devices needs to be set correctly too. Support confirmed HDMI 1 is best for STB (consoles).

Sounds like the screen tear issue can be a number of things - you need to run through the checks, try different ports, all of the advice above before you’re left to consider there may be a fundamental issue with your TV unit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. oldskoolfool

oldskoolfool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to clarify, I had my TiVo plugged into my Xbox one x which was plugged into hdmi1. I experienced both the tv tearing and the intermittent black screen for a second.

I took out the TiVo box HDMI from the Xbox one x and plugged it into hdmi2 leaving the Xbox one x in hdmi1 and fingers crossed not experienced either issue as yet.

19. oldskoolfool

oldskoolfool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quick update. Received my new V6 box yesterday, installed it into hdmi2 keeping the Xbox one x in hdmi1. Watched an hour of tv tonight, no tearing but experienced two black screen moments. No issues with the Xbox so far.

There's clearly an issue between the virgin boxes and the Samsung. Just hope it gets sorted else I'll need to make a decision.

20. Bindybadge

Bindybadge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update from me. after more than a month of the TV "being repaired" I've reportedly had a new main board fitted and still have the same intermittent tearing issue. Approved service center requested tech support from Samsung who suggested the connections on the main board as an area of focus, they made a reference to some buffer being overloaded causing the tear, they also suggested I try a gold plated HDMI cable *sigh* so not not sure I have much faith in that. I have already tried 5 different HDMI leads of various grades all with the same effect, didn't have the problem in the first 8 months, don't have the problem on 2 other TVs run on the same setup. The TV at this point is essentially all new parts minus the power supply.
    One last variable is the Firmware, I've had the issue from version 1207 and currently have 1220 so might factory reset to 160*? to test but unhappy I will lose the updated HDR options. Samsung support has been terrible really but that's another story.

21. atmoscinema

atmoscinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I had the same identical screen tear problem on my new 55MU7000 and V6 box to start with until i turned off Game Mode. Not seen it since.

V6 has always been in HDMI 2 im sure.

I haven’t seen any blank screens, or may be connected via Xbox One S, but i am, on the odd occasion, seeing split second colour flashes of varying forms on part of the screen, which i think is from the V6 box, as i mainly watch that. Not sure whether it is doing it live yet or from recording, or even from V6, as HDD’s have strange behaviour in my experience.

Just bought new high spec quality HDMI lead, so trying that at mo.

V6 is now in 4K only output, as this new HDMI lead seems a much sharper picture in 4K. It is easier to switch to a 4K broadcast then and ensures i am getting 4K, as the V6 box doesn’t always select the correct video resolution output to 4K.

It is a bit odd, though different tvs, that my screen tear issue was fixed by switching off Game Mode, yet others just changed input.

I have Game Mode switched off entirely btw.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018