Samsung Q70T 55" vs TCL R635 55" (6 Series)

berndawg84

Novice Member
I have been doing some research and the TCL 6 series R635 and the Samsung Q70T seem to be the best TVs in my budget (under $1000 - Always liked Samsung TVs and the TCL seems great). I have tried to look at comparisons such as this site:

Samsung Q70/Q70T QLED vs TCL 6 Series/R635 2020 QLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Both seem great and like you can't go wrong. The TV will be used for TV shows, movies, streaming, live sports etc. No gaming. My main focus is getting the best picture quality. It will be in a living room adjacent to a glass sliding door, so a decent amount of light in the room. From what I can tell, it seems like the TCL has better picture quality than the Samsung. The Samsung is $200 more than the TCL. I don't mind paying more for the Samsung if it's a "better" TV. I have had a Samsung in the past and loved it, and I know that TCL is "newer" to the market and maybe hasn't been as time-tested. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dodgexander

Chinese companies like TCL/Hisense undercut competition in price by not making as much money on their sales as other companies.

Therefore really you'd need to compare TVs like the TCL R635 and Hisense H9G to TVs like the Samsung Q90T rather than the Q70T. Even the Q80T has some downsides and costs more money compared to those two models.

Its due to backlight systems and HDR. The Q70T is a TV without any good local dimming, no zones behind the TV and with limited peak brightness. It will struggle to display HDR content, but will be fine for SDR content.

berndawg84

Novice Member
Chinese companies like TCL/Hisense undercut competition in price by not making as much money on their sales as other companies.

Therefore really you'd need to compare TVs like the TCL R635 and Hisense H9G to TVs like the Samsung Q90T rather than the Q70T. Even the Q80T has some downsides and costs more money compared to those two models.

Its due to backlight systems and HDR. The Q70T is a TV without any good local dimming, no zones behind the TV and with limited peak brightness. It will struggle to display HDR content, but will be fine for SDR content.

Thanks. My budget is under $1000 and for my space I want a 55 inch TV. The Q90T is well over $1000. So would you say the TCL R635 is the best bet for a 55" TV under $1000? Again, best picture quality is sort of the main feature I'm looking for. There seem to be some concerns about the longevity/durability of TCL TVs but I know that you could find problems with any brands...

Dodgexander

Hisense H9G, Vizio P series and TCL 6 series all trade blows. They are all around 1k at 65".

If I was shopping for a 55" I'd wait and see if there are any forthcoming price drops on 2020 OLEDs as the new 2021 models come out. Failing that I'd look at the Sony X950H or Vizio P series Quantum.

Donnie8181

Novice Member
Sounds like both TVs would fit your needs but the one thing that should be accounted for is the environment which your tv is going to be used in. Is it bright or dark will there be reflections at points in the day. Plenty of people don’t think about this and go out and buy a fancy oled then put it in a super bright room and wonder why it doesn’t look as good as the display. The tcl gets way brighter and obviously has much better hdr. It has mediocre viewing angles though so if you plan on entertaining or need a tv that’s good in a wide viewing setting the Samsung will be a bit better. So think about how the tv will be used before you buy it. All in all the tcl is the more feature rich tv and is an outstanding value. It is a great all around tv that works well in most cases. Plus it has Dolby Vision while the q70 doesn’t. The q70 is a tv that has most of the features you would want but it doesn’t have local dimming or that top notch hdr performance the tcl does. Quality wise the Samsung had an edge but tcl has came a long way and the 6 series is probably the most dependable tv they have ever made so it shouldn’t be a huge deal especially if you buy the extended warranty which I always do. Price wise the q70 is more expensive and for the price of a 55 inch q70 you can almost get a 65 inch tcl. Really the guys in this forum have gave you great advice and have also recommended some good other options like the h9g which might be your best option honestly expect for the fact hisense makes great looking TVs but they still have uniformity issues and real quality concerns. I hope you find a great tv and best of luck

berndawg84

Novice Member
Sounds like both TVs would fit your needs but the one thing that should be accounted for is the environment which your tv is going to be used in. Is it bright or dark will there be reflections at points in the day. Plenty of people don’t think about this and go out and buy a fancy oled then put it in a super bright room and wonder why it doesn’t look as good as the display. The tcl gets way brighter and obviously has much better hdr. It has mediocre viewing angles though so if you plan on entertaining or need a tv that’s good in a wide viewing setting the Samsung will be a bit better. So think about how the tv will be used before you buy it. All in all the tcl is the more feature rich tv and is an outstanding value. It is a great all around tv that works well in most cases. Plus it has Dolby Vision while the q70 doesn’t. The q70 is a tv that has most of the features you would want but it doesn’t have local dimming or that top notch hdr performance the tcl does. Quality wise the Samsung had an edge but tcl has came a long way and the 6 series is probably the most dependable tv they have ever made so it shouldn’t be a huge deal especially if you buy the extended warranty which I always do. Price wise the q70 is more expensive and for the price of a 55 inch q70 you can almost get a 65 inch tcl. Really the guys in this forum have gave you great advice and have also recommended some good other options like the h9g which might be your best option honestly expect for the fact hisense makes great looking TVs but they still have uniformity issues and real quality concerns. I hope you find a great tv and best of luck
Thanks for the tips. After further research I ended up nixing the Q70 as an option. I ended up researching the Sony x900H that Dodgexander mentioned above. I'm trying to stay under $1000 US for the TV, so the x950H was out unfortunately. The x900h seems great overall. There seems to be some concern about it having reflections. The TV will be wall-mounted in a living room with 2 small windows on either side of it. However, it will not be in the direct line of any windows so I'm hoping it will be OK.

Donnie8181

Novice Member
The 900h is a nice looking tv and it was on sale for 899$ this week at Best Buy. It sounds like it would be a good fit. I have had a few customers have issues with the sound and the smart features. Evidently it’s operating system had some issues but it’s probably already been fixed. I have installed many of them this year and only seen 2 returned. I think those were returned because of the TVs lack of gaming features that haven’t been patched in yet. That isn’t a concern for you so it’s a nice choice. Great picture quality and solid but not spectacular hdr performance. Should be good in a bright room or a controlled lighting environment. I hope u enjoy it!

berndawg84

Novice Member
The 900h is a nice looking tv and it was on sale for 899$ this week at Best Buy. It sounds like it would be a good fit. I have had a few customers have issues with the sound and the smart features. Evidently it’s operating system had some issues but it’s probably already been fixed. I have installed many of them this year and only seen 2 returned. I think those were returned because of the TVs lack of gaming features that haven’t been patched in yet. That isn’t a concern for you so it’s a nice choice. Great picture quality and solid but not spectacular hdr performance. Should be good in a bright room or a controlled lighting environment. I hope u enjoy it!
Thanks. I just want a "good" TV. I'm coming from a cheap 32 inch Sanyo so this will be a massive upgrade. It will be like owning a Ferrari compared to what I'm used to hah.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom