Samsung Q70R (QE55Q70R) QLED TV Review & Comments

Yes but thats not the case. Even a quick press will make this happen. If I turn on the tv within few seconds, it starts normally. If I turn it within few minutes it will show SAMSUNG QLED logo. The only explanation that makes sense is that when I turn off the TV, it puts itself in standby mode for few seconds then completely turn off after that. Is that makes sense at all? Also please, can Q70R owners confirm if they have the same thing? Thanks!
I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?

I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?
Thank you for your answer! I can’t find anything in TV settings that could be causing this behavior! This driving me nuts and I’m not sure whether it’s normal thing or just a defect.

Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_144046.jpg
    IMG_20200110_144046.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_20200110_143234.jpg
    IMG_20200110_143234.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 418
Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
What picture mode are you using ?

I've been trying different modes and have settled on standard mode with a few small tweaks.
Movie mode is the most accurate , how does it look when using that preset ?

I have a QE82Q70R on order due for delivery in a week or so. Thing is, since ordering it I've been put off by comments on it's brightness and the screen's poor anti-reflective capabilities resulting in a 'waxy' looking picture. I saw these comments on AVSForums which appears to be US based.

I paid 2.5k then added a speaker and AVR package which all came to just over 5k.

The snug is not a particularly bright room, north facing and one small(ish) window and never gets direct sunlight shining in - so that might mitigate the brightness and reflection issues?

Would love to get some honest opinions on here from owners and/or folks who have seen one operating in the flesh. Shop didn't have one but I've had my eye on one for ages. 82" FALD TV for < 3k? Can't possibly go wrong (or so I thought!).

We have a KS8000 in the living room which is still going strong after 2+ years, I suppose that would be a good comparison. The KS8000 seems premium to me (might be wrong!) and I've since become aware the Q70s are at the other end of the Samsung range in terms of quality. Guess it pays to do your homework first eh!

I can't change the TV budget, but I could cancel the order and then reduce screen size - possibly to a 75" Q8 instead.

Would welcome any thoughts and recommendations :)

Got a Q70R 55” and the speakers rattle and vibrate when deep bass plays. I’ve turned down bass in the equaliser, but doesn’t help. Anyone else have this problem?

Got a Q70R 55” and the speakers rattle and vibrate when deep bass plays. I’ve turned down bass in the equaliser, but doesn’t help. Anyone else have this problem?
What settings have you used and I can try them out. I don't notice any odd sounds in general but have a small glitch now and again with my Xbox One X which goes away if I unplug/reconnect the HDMI cable.

Recently replaced my JU6400 with a 55" Q70R and I'm not particularly impressed by the IQ on HD content. Stuff like the UHD demo on BBC iPlayer looks fantastic but SD / HD content on regular channels just looks terrible and I've followed the Rtings suggestions on menu settings.

Currently using movie mode with all the clear view / motion stuff turned off. One issue I seem to notice is on some content it appears to alternate between the 'regular' look and that 'smooth' soap opera look, even when judder control, etc is disabled.

Anyone have suggestions on some good settings / calibration tips?

Recently replaced my JU6400 with a 55" Q70R and I'm not particularly impressed by the IQ on HD content. Stuff like the UHD demo on BBC iPlayer looks fantastic but SD / HD content on regular channels just looks terrible and I've followed the Rtings suggestions on menu settings.

Currently using movie mode with all the clear view / motion stuff turned off. One issue I seem to notice is on some content it appears to alternate between the 'regular' look and that 'smooth' soap opera look, even when judder control, etc is disabled.

Anyone have suggestions on some good settings / calibration tips?
Have you tried these calibration settings: Samsung Q70/Q70R QLED Calibration Settings ?

Yep, those are the ones I followed with the exception of the white balance parts at the bottom.

Another issue I'm struggling with is getting audio out over ARC to my Yahama RX-A1050 from the smart apps like Netflix. Works fine with optical cable but nothing over HDMI.

Anyone tried the latest 1352 firmware update?

I'm a new owner (approx 2 weeks) and still tweaking - Local Dimming being my own personal gripe but getting close to a compromise. Obviously, I would like to experiment with the new firmware to see if it helps with my, subjective, issues - but it would be useful to know what the update adjusts so i know what i may need to compensate for. Because, as mentioned - new TV so still on a learning curve re: calibration.

Hi everyone, I have the same problem. The subwoofer is playing very loudly. Equalizer settings adjust only midbass and higher. The wife complains). I tried to adjust in the service menu in the controls branch. But everything goes back after exiting the menu. Sorry, I wrote with the help of Google translator.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the latest 1352 firmware update?

I'm a new owner (approx 2 weeks) and still tweaking - Local Dimming being my own personal gripe but getting close to a compromise. Obviously, I would like to experiment with the new firmware to see if it helps with my, subjective, issues - but it would be useful to know what the update adjusts so i know what i may need to compensate for. Because, as mentioned - new TV so still on a learning curve re: calibration.

Hi @bluin
I'm on 1351 at the moment but wasn't aware that 1352 was available until your post. This is the only post that I have found that lists the update details (in German) so you could check what it should fix before you update:

This is the translated details:
Update version 1351.3 - January 2020

Fixed a bug that could lead to image errors in the PIP display.
The zapping performance has been improved.
Improved image display in Netflix for 8K TVs

Update version 1352.0 - February 2020

Image quality improvement: Fixed a bug that caused some TVs to show a moiré effect. Just like another bug that could lead to a green stripe at the top of the picture.
Optimization of transmitter reception via DVBT-T2 and HEVC SFN

Thanks, @ZicoUK - appreciate the comprehensive reply.

They're very specific fixes - but I will probably still update. I'm in the process of playing with Contrast Enhancer (Local Dimming issues) which is great for 4K but makes everything ridiculously bright and over saturated in SD/HD. And then moving on to White Balance as i have a slight green tint to rectify.

Wish i had more time to play as it's a panel that needs a lot of nurture depending on what source your viewing. For QLED, i still think i made the right trade off for me (crushed blacks rather than blooming) - but it's been the most demanding TV i've ever owned with regard to calibrating/fine tuning.

The joys of multiple mediums/input sources and throwing in relatively new Local Dimming tech into the mix. Although, i had hoped that Samsung would have addressed the algorithm for this with the latest update.

*I should add - lots of great points about this panel - but a bit of trek finding a balance.

Well I updated not long after my post last night. I've not noticed anything different from before but then again I've not really sat down and tweaked anything to the nth degree.

With regards to SD quality, I've setup the tv using some settings (think I got them from a post here) and left it at that. The worst thing still is that Freeview is the lowest quality input I have but the majority of the time spent viewing. My only true 4K source is my Xbox One X followed by the compressed 4K Netflix and Amazon accounts. I've got a few UHD Blu-rays but haven't had time to sit and view them yet (too noisy/busy at home). Still, the upgrade from my old 32" LED was a massive jump and I'm happy for now.

New owner of a Q70R 65" 2019 model, bought it just last night, upgraded from a NU8000 65". So not much time at all yet with the Q70R. Working on the video settings, I have a quick question, perhaps someone here knows. I have a Denon receiver, with a 1080p CATV box, and Samsung 4k disc player both HDMI to the receiver, and one HDMI cable to the Q70R. I am just working in the Standard display settings for now, however it seems that I have a different group of settings on the Q70R, both Standard display mode, for the CATV box, and for the 4k disc player. Does the TV establish different video settings for...different resolution coming in ? some other reason ? Anyone know ? Also, what have most of you used for video settings ? Get them from www.rtings.com ? Elsewhere ? As a starting point anyway.

rtings is a good base starting point but you will find you will probably need to build from these core settings once your're happy that the panel is defect free.

For example, i have to use Contrast Enhancer when viewing 4K (too bright/saturated for HD) - but essential, for my panel, in 4k otherwise black crush makes some scenes redundant - e.g, the opening couple of minutes of Stranger Things ( Season 3, Episode 2), so that i don't have to guess what's happening from purely the sounds (it was that bad). Plus, the opening of Netflix's, Our Planet -it allows me to see stars and the light around the darkened edge of the spinning world when it turns to night.

*I should add i tweaked settings Gamma too.

It's a solid TV, especially for the EOL price, but depending on how fussy you are/perceptive - you may be tweaking for a while.

*i found Warm 2 introduced too much red (in movie mode) and so reverted to warm 1 with white balance corrections (still have a green tint to correct) - but is a lengthy process. Hopefully, yours will adapt to rtings settings and you can sit back and enjoy what is an excellent TV for the money.

rtings is a good base starting point but you will find you will probably need to build from these core settings once your're happy that the panel is defect free.

For example, i have to use Contrast Enhancer when viewing 4K (too bright/saturated for HD) - but essential, for my panel, in 4k otherwise black crush makes some scenes redundant - e.g, the opening couple of minutes of Stranger Things ( Season 3, Episode 2), so that i don't have to guess what's happening from purely the sounds (it was that bad). Plus, the opening of Netflix's, Our Planet -it allows me to see stars and the light around the darkened edge of the spinning world when it turns to night.

It's a solid TV, especially for the EOL price, but depending on how fussy you are/perceptive - you may be tweaking for a while.

*i found Warm 2 introduced too much red (in movie mode) and so reverted to warm 1 with white balance corrections (still have a green tint to correct) - but is a lengthy process. Hopefully, yours will adapt to rtings settings and you can sit back and enjoy what is an excellent TV for the money.

Thanks much for the info. I'm sure I won't do the same job as a pro calibrator would - and I probably won't dive into Gamma and white balance correction at least not unless I learn more about all that - but it's all about our own perception after all. I worked with my NU8000, making tweaks here and there, for a good bit (from time to time, not constantly), to get it where I was pretty happy. I'm sure the case will be the same with the Q70R.

Do you know, about my first question, about settings being saved for different devices (though both connect thru the receiver which then has only one HDMI cable into the Q70R), or maybe for different input resolutions ? It's pretty obvious that the settings I was tweaking with the CATV box are different from the settings with the 4k disc player (using "Standard" mode with both), just curious as to the methodology the TV is using here.

Or is it HDR and SDR, that it's got a group of settings for each ? Thinking about it, and that I've seen settings published for both HDR and SDR, I'm guessing that's my answer to my question about the different settings for my CATV box, and 4k disc player.

I have a QE82Q70R on order due for delivery in a week or so. Thing is, since ordering it I've been put off by comments on it's brightness and the screen's poor anti-reflective capabilities resulting in a 'waxy' looking picture. I saw these comments on AVSForums which appears to be US based.

I paid 2.5k then added a speaker and AVR package which all came to just over 5k.

The snug is not a particularly bright room, north facing and one small(ish) window and never gets direct sunlight shining in - so that might mitigate the brightness and reflection issues?

Would love to get some honest opinions on here from owners and/or folks who have seen one operating in the flesh. Shop didn't have one but I've had my eye on one for ages. 82" FALD TV for < 3k? Can't possibly go wrong (or so I thought!).

We have a KS8000 in the living room which is still going strong after 2+ years, I suppose that would be a good comparison. The KS8000 seems premium to me (might be wrong!) and I've since become aware the Q70s are at the other end of the Samsung range in terms of quality. Guess it pays to do your homework first eh!

I can't change the TV budget, but I could cancel the order and then reduce screen size - possibly to a 75" Q8 instead.

Would welcome any thoughts and recommendations :)
I have 82q70r and love it. The picture are amazing when watching 4k content. I saw SEE on apple tv+ and wow the picture blow my mind. Then i have the samsung dolby atmos soundbar and its deliver fantastic sound. I'M REALLY HAPPY :)

how are people finding standard 1080p content on their Q70's....Im contemplating getting an 82 inch and appreciate that it might not be like im used to on a 60 inch Kuro but would appreciate some real-world examples

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom