Quantcast

Samsung Q70R (QE55Q70R) QLED TV Review & Comments

Magic Walrus

Yes but thats not the case. Even a quick press will make this happen. If I turn on the tv within few seconds, it starts normally. If I turn it within few minutes it will show SAMSUNG QLED logo. The only explanation that makes sense is that when I turn off the TV, it puts itself in standby mode for few seconds then completely turn off after that. Is that makes sense at all? Also please, can Q70R owners confirm if they have the same thing? Thanks!
I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?

Wof

Novice Member
I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?
Thank you for your answer! I can’t find anything in TV settings that could be causing this behavior! This driving me nuts and I’m not sure whether it’s normal thing or just a defect.

rjw273

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
What picture mode are you using ?

Collider74

Standard Member
I have a QE82Q70R on order due for delivery in a week or so. Thing is, since ordering it I've been put off by comments on it's brightness and the screen's poor anti-reflective capabilities resulting in a 'waxy' looking picture. I saw these comments on AVSForums which appears to be US based.

I paid 2.5k then added a speaker and AVR package which all came to just over 5k.

The snug is not a particularly bright room, north facing and one small(ish) window and never gets direct sunlight shining in - so that might mitigate the brightness and reflection issues?

Would love to get some honest opinions on here from owners and/or folks who have seen one operating in the flesh. Shop didn't have one but I've had my eye on one for ages. 82" FALD TV for < 3k? Can't possibly go wrong (or so I thought!).

We have a KS8000 in the living room which is still going strong after 2+ years, I suppose that would be a good comparison. The KS8000 seems premium to me (might be wrong!) and I've since become aware the Q70s are at the other end of the Samsung range in terms of quality. Guess it pays to do your homework first eh!

I can't change the TV budget, but I could cancel the order and then reduce screen size - possibly to a 75" Q8 instead.

Would welcome any thoughts and recommendations :)

Scottchristie

Novice Member
Got a Q70R 55” and the speakers rattle and vibrate when deep bass plays. I’ve turned down bass in the equaliser, but doesn’t help. Anyone else have this problem?

ZicoUK

Got a Q70R 55” and the speakers rattle and vibrate when deep bass plays. I’ve turned down bass in the equaliser, but doesn’t help. Anyone else have this problem?
What settings have you used and I can try them out. I don't notice any odd sounds in general but have a small glitch now and again with my Xbox One X which goes away if I unplug/reconnect the HDMI cable.

Oakey

Recently replaced my JU6400 with a 55" Q70R and I'm not particularly impressed by the IQ on HD content. Stuff like the UHD demo on BBC iPlayer looks fantastic but SD / HD content on regular channels just looks terrible and I've followed the Rtings suggestions on menu settings.

Currently using movie mode with all the clear view / motion stuff turned off. One issue I seem to notice is on some content it appears to alternate between the 'regular' look and that 'smooth' soap opera look, even when judder control, etc is disabled.

Anyone have suggestions on some good settings / calibration tips?

bmwracer

Recently replaced my JU6400 with a 55" Q70R and I'm not particularly impressed by the IQ on HD content. Stuff like the UHD demo on BBC iPlayer looks fantastic but SD / HD content on regular channels just looks terrible and I've followed the Rtings suggestions on menu settings.

Currently using movie mode with all the clear view / motion stuff turned off. One issue I seem to notice is on some content it appears to alternate between the 'regular' look and that 'smooth' soap opera look, even when judder control, etc is disabled.

Anyone have suggestions on some good settings / calibration tips?
Have you tried these calibration settings: Samsung Q70/Q70R QLED Calibration Settings ?

Oakey

Yep, those are the ones I followed with the exception of the white balance parts at the bottom.

Another issue I'm struggling with is getting audio out over ARC to my Yahama RX-A1050 from the smart apps like Netflix. Works fine with optical cable but nothing over HDMI.