Quantcast

Samsung Q70R (QE55Q70R) QLED TV Review & Comments

ZicoUK

@rdundas I don't recall reading anywhere that promised Samsung were going to add in EARC into any of the 2019 QLEDs. At best I read several reviews that said it was rumoured but nothing from Samsung confirming this.

Looking at getting this in 82” to replace a DX902 65”. Does anyone know if the 82 has more than 50 dimming zones please?

bmwracer

Picked up a 65" Q7DR (Costco version of the Q70R).

Excellent TV, but the simple (minded) remote is totally worthless. Ended up buying a real remote with a keypad from Amazon... It supports all the functions as the worthless one, but without the frustration.
remote.jpg

arorat

Standard Member
Picked up a 65" Q7DR (Costco version of the Q70R).

Excellent TV, but the simple (minded) remote is totally worthless. Ended up buying a real remote with a keypad from Amazon... It supports all the functions as the worthless one, but without the frustration.
View attachment 1234252
In USA? Costco don't do samsung in UK.

I just returned my 65Q70r (£1300) due to dirty screen effect (DSE), watching sports was aweful motherwise a good TV. In UK we get 2 remotes, both with netflix & prime buttons.

Any DSE issues on your TV?
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

bmwracer

In USA? Costco don't do samsung in UK.

I just returned my 65Q70r (£1300) due to dirty screen effect (DSE), watching sports was aweful motherwise a good TV. In UK we get 2 remotes, both with netflix & prime buttons.

Any DSE issues on your TV?
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
Yup, I'm in the U.S.

RTINGS.com mentioned DSE in their review ( Samsung Q70/Q70R QLED Review (QN49Q70R, QN55Q70R, QN65Q70R, QN75Q70R, QN82Q70R, QN85Q70R) ), but I haven't noticed any issues so far (I've only had the TV for a month).

At Costco, I paid $1200 (about £920) for the 65Q7DR.

arorat

Standard Member
Yup, I'm in the U.S.

RTINGS.com mentioned DSE in their review ( Samsung Q70/Q70R QLED Review (QN49Q70R, QN55Q70R, QN65Q70R, QN75Q70R, QN82Q70R, QN85Q70R) ), but I haven't noticed any issues so far (I've only had the TV for a month).

At Costco, I paid $1200 (about £920) for the 65Q7DR.
£920... wow !! I know I shouldn't have asked you :)

I saw that review and DSE being mentioned and noted they didn't make a fuss about it and here is why...

This morning I went by a TV store and the Samsung chap put on youtube to test out a "grey scale test" on 65q70, 65q60 & 55q60... all screens were fine, which implies I had a dud screen.

In the darker room where a 65 is going (again), I am sure the 65q60 will be perfect. I will wait for post Christmas sales and see which way the prices drag me, q70 or q60.

Costco UK are doing the 65U8B for £699 delivered, that stand though, it will have to go on the wall.

beberle

Novice Member
My 3-week old 82" Q70 from Costco has some pretty bad DSE. I'm going to attempt to return it. I really don't want to enter the screen 'lottery' changing out 100lb screens w/ every attempt.

MarkPJ

Standard Member
The 55" is currently £799 at most stores, including Richer Sounds.

The reviews of this model are good but most of the feedback on this forum seems negative. Is the Q70R a good buy at this price?

I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old LG 42" LCD.

Thanks.

Se7en

With the Samsung Q70 55" what is the distance apart of the legs please?

Thank you

arorat

Standard Member
The 55" is currently £799 at most stores, including Richer Sounds.

The reviews of this model are good but most of the feedback on this forum seems negative. Is the Q70R a good buy at this price?

I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old LG 42" LCD.

Thanks.
Q70r It's a well built TV, better than q60.

What a waste of time buying the 65" which I returned, having said that 65q70 and a 55q60 in curry's had better screens.... So a lottery.

If you want an all round TV, just get a decent edge lit, q60 or ru8000 or even the hisense u8b from costco. 90 days return policy at Costco.

I went for the 65c9pla, Shame as 65q70 was good but awful DSE for watching light scenes, such as golf.

MarkPJ

Standard Member

What a waste of time buying the 65" which I returned, having said that 65q70 and a 55q60 in curry's had better screens.... So a lottery.

If you want an all round TV, just get a decent edge lit, q60 or ru8000 or even the hisense u8b from costco. 90 days return policy at Costco.

I went for the 65c9pla, Shame as 65q70 was good but awful DSE for watching light scenes, such as golf.

I just picked up a Q85r for £999 from Currys. Absolute bargain.

Wof

Novice Member
Hello guys I really need help. Just bought Q70R and when I turn on the TV there's an animation where two black bars open up vertically and the last used app will automatically open (which is normal). But sometimes when I turn ON the TV (maybe when I leave the TV OFF for a few minutes) I get SAMSUNG QLED logo and does not run the last used app! It sounds like a hard reset or something. Is this normal? Why this happens?

Tree

Novice Member
If you're holding down the power button it'll make the tv reboot. Doesnt have to be very long, just a second or two.

Wof

Novice Member
If you're holding down the power button it'll make the tv reboot. Doesnt have to be very long, just a second or two.
Yes but thats not the case. Even a quick press will make this happen. If I turn on the tv within few seconds, it starts normally. If I turn it within few minutes it will show SAMSUNG QLED logo. The only explanation that makes sense is that when I turn off the TV, it puts itself in standby mode for few seconds then completely turn off after that. Is that makes sense at all? Also please, can Q70R owners confirm if they have the same thing? Thanks!

Magic Walrus

Yes but thats not the case. Even a quick press will make this happen. If I turn on the tv within few seconds, it starts normally. If I turn it within few minutes it will show SAMSUNG QLED logo. The only explanation that makes sense is that when I turn off the TV, it puts itself in standby mode for few seconds then completely turn off after that. Is that makes sense at all? Also please, can Q70R owners confirm if they have the same thing? Thanks!
I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?

Wof

Novice Member
I get nothing like that. When I switch mine on the white screen from the centre fills the screen. It then brings up the menu (with options, streaming services etc.) and the last channel viewed in the background. Have you checked your power options settings? Maybe your TV goes into an eco/power saving mode when switched off?
Thank you for your answer! I can’t find anything in TV settings that could be causing this behavior! This driving me nuts and I’m not sure whether it’s normal thing or just a defect.

rjw273

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I've had a 49 inch Q70 for about a week and am really impressed. However I'm noticing what's known as Dirty Screen Effect or DSE.
Not surprisingly it's most noticeable when I watch football or when the image pans left or right. There are very faint vertical stripes but also the backlighting seems really uneven within a few cm of the top and bottom of the screen. This almost gives a faint zigzag appearance. The attached 2 images give you a good idea of what I mean.
I don't expect any screen to be perfect however DSE really bugs me. It's not always noticeable depending on the content on screen but other times it's really distracting. Would a retailer class this as a fault and replace the TV? Would a replacement be any different?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
What picture mode are you using ?

Collider74

Standard Member
I have a QE82Q70R on order due for delivery in a week or so. Thing is, since ordering it I've been put off by comments on it's brightness and the screen's poor anti-reflective capabilities resulting in a 'waxy' looking picture. I saw these comments on AVSForums which appears to be US based.

I paid 2.5k then added a speaker and AVR package which all came to just over 5k.

The snug is not a particularly bright room, north facing and one small(ish) window and never gets direct sunlight shining in - so that might mitigate the brightness and reflection issues?

Would love to get some honest opinions on here from owners and/or folks who have seen one operating in the flesh. Shop didn't have one but I've had my eye on one for ages. 82" FALD TV for < 3k? Can't possibly go wrong (or so I thought!).

We have a KS8000 in the living room which is still going strong after 2+ years, I suppose that would be a good comparison. The KS8000 seems premium to me (might be wrong!) and I've since become aware the Q70s are at the other end of the Samsung range in terms of quality. Guess it pays to do your homework first eh!

I can't change the TV budget, but I could cancel the order and then reduce screen size - possibly to a 75" Q8 instead.

Would welcome any thoughts and recommendations :)