Samsung Q70R (QE55Q70R) QLED TV Review & Comments

Come on Phil, please review 2019 OLEDs, not even C9 is reviewed, which has been reviewed by all other sites. AV Forums is lagging behind seriously.

Come on Phil, please review 2019 OLEDs, not even C9 is reviewed, which has been reviewed by all other sites. AV Forums is lagging behind seriously.
Sorry I didn't realise I was in a race.

Yeah, stop slacking Phil and get with the programme - there's a 20,000 inch 64k set that's more lifelike than real life itself that's not even been invented yet and won't be on the market until 2050, but I need to know the score so I can get saving - I expect a thorough review before teatime or I'm flouncing off to that other AV forum ;)

IMG_20190624_171037_479.jpg
IMG_20190624_171050_795.jpg

These pictures are from a q60r i found on youtube

Does anyone know if this has a true 10bit panel? Richer sounds have detailed it as 8bit + 2FRC.

Buying a q80r soon . I want to game at low input lag of 4.2.2 4k hdr at 60hz for xbox one x how achive this? Thanks

I've been wrestling with my new Samsung Q70 TV and it's wifi connection. Until a few days ago, it worked fine with an 802.11AC connection at 866mb/sec. I started noticing issues with Hulu not loading. I checked my wifi AP and the TV is now connecting with 802.11N at less than 100mb/sec. I reset the network connection and it would only connect on a different SSID I have set up on my 2.4gHz wifi. WTH?!?
Nothing worked. I checked my Cisco pro access points, my router, switches, etc. I was about to start doing a packet trace and pouring through logs to find the problem when I did a web search. This appears to be a common problem with Samsung's Tizen OS smart TVs (2015 and newer). It usually happens after an update. The problem went away after I forced a reboot (the solution on the AVForums Q90 owners thread) by holding down the power key on the remote until the Samsung logo appeared on the screen. I was able to change the network setting and connect to the WiFi properly. Note that unplugging the TV did NOT resolve the problem.
After checking the current software version on the TV, 1305.7 released June 12th, I realized that it coincided with the onset of this problem. After the reboot, I noticed that the TV now displays the band information (5 or 2.4) in the discovered wifi networks which wasn't there before.
What makes me wonder why, if a simple reboot fixed the problem, that Samsung doesn't force a reboot after an update? Or maybe just test their firmware updates better? :(

Thanks a lot for a great review. I have space in my living room for the "49. Would that still be a good choice as I can understand that it is only 60 Hertz? What does that mean in practice?

Anyone that buys a Samsung Qled from this years range....without a massive discount...needs their head looked at............Junk...."Blooming".... Junk............l just cannot Believe...why knowledgeable peeps...would buy one of their Premium Qleds...l was a Sammy Fanboy a few years...ago when l bought a 65F8000....Returned to them last October with a 75nu8000.....and cannot wait til the LG 77C9 comes down in price so l can replace it

Hi. Im about to move to a new house and plan to buy a new tv. I cant decide between Q90 at 75inch or Q70 at 82 inch. I know all the differences,read ton of reviews, compared the two in stores side by side. The wow factor of the 82 inches is tempting, since I will be sitting a bit further away from tv. So my question- is the drop in quality from Q90 to Q70 that big, or is it worth qoing for the 82inch Q70? Ambient light and viewing angles dont bother me, I sit dead center and have a very good ambient light control. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows with subtitles. The price is about the same in my country.Please help me sway in either direction with your suggestions.Thanks.

thats a tuff one it really is, however is you dont watch at pitch black that often you wont have to be too heavy on local dimming and so it wont matter that the Q70 has many fewer dimming zones.

thats a tuff one it really is, however is you dont watch at pitch black that often you wont have to be too heavy on local dimming and so it wont matter that the Q70 has many fewer dimming zones.
Thanks! My biggest concern is the subtitle blooming and brightnes changes of the entire screen, that some members reported.I am not able to test it in store actually. Does the Q90 perform better in these ?

i'm only going be the reviews i've read, i dont own one i'm afraid, the Q90 has more effective local dimming than the Q70 due to more dimming zones, the algo is more or less the same so you should see less blooming for sure with the Q90.

My main issue with this TV is how it handles closed captioning. I have it turned off on the main menu, but when I play video from a USB source it automatically defaults to playing captions regardless. I have to manually turn off captions for every file played via my USB - even though captions are disabled from the main TV menu.

Is there a way around this I'm not aware of?

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase the 82'' Q70R for £2999.99. Should I bite at this price? Could it be reduced further at black friday maybe?

Is the sony XG95 £1200 better in the 85'' version?

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase the 82'' Q70R for £2999.99. Should I bite at this price? Could it be reduced further at black friday maybe?

Is the sony XG95 £1200 better in the 85'' version?

Seems like a reasonable price. I wouldn't go for the XG95 for 3 reasons:
  1. Blooming is significantly worse than the Q70R (especially with bleeding into black bars on scope content).
  2. The UWA filter has a serious negative effect on the black levels.
  3. It's a whopping £1,200 more expensive - no chance!
Have you considered a 65" or 75" of a higher spec model to balance it out a bit more?

Seems like a reasonable price. I wouldn't go for the XG95 for 3 reasons:
  1. Blooming is significantly worse than the Q70R (especially with bleeding into black bars on scope content).
  2. The UWA filter has a serious negative effect on the black levels.
  3. It's a whopping £1,200 more expensive - no chance!
Have you considered a 65" or 75" of a higher spec model to balance it out a bit more?

Hi buddy, im selling my projector so only want AT LEAST a 82'' or 85''. Currys had the 82'' abnd 85'' side by side and I must admit, even only 3-inches bigger the sony one looked much much bigger!

Its a tough choice!

Hi buddy, im selling my projector so only want AT LEAST a 82'' or 85''. Currys had the 82'' abnd 85'' side by side and I must admit, even only 3-inches bigger the sony one looked much much bigger!

Its a tough choice!

Between the 82" Q70R and 85" XG95, I'd definitely get the Q70R from personal experience - especially if you do dark room HDR viewing.

Also, consider the 75" Q85R in the same price range, which has twice the amount of dimming zones as the Q70R and XG95, gets much brighter than the Q70R, and has a decent anti-glare/wide angle filter that doesn't completely ruin black level contrast like the one on the XG95.

I know it's smaller, but 75" is still a good size and the Q85R is much better.

How is the Q70R for watching football? Any motion blur? I'm mainly going to be watching sports, playing xbox and TV Shows.

Min size I require is 82''. Its the Q70R for 3k or the XG95 with an extra 3-inches for 4k..... AHHH! I just dont know!

How is the Q70R for watching football? Any motion blur? I'm mainly going to be watching sports, playing xbox and TV Shows.

Min size I require is 82''. Its the Q70R for 3k or the XG95 with an extra 3-inches for 4k..... AHHH! I just dont know!
Every LCD TV has motion blur, you'd need an OLED to avoid it.

If you care so much about motion for sports then Sony is probably better, but you should draw your own conclusions if you can by viewing both TVs. Just make sure its in an environment where you have the remote control and can put the TVs in to cinema/move preset and play around with the different motion options. If you compare out of the box settings you won't know.

Samsung models have the upper hand with gaming features and lower input lag though. Although really its the Q80R/Q85R that are closer in spec to the XG9505 rather than the Q70. Especially at larger sizes since the XG9505 has the ultra wide viewing angle filter on the 85" model.

Are you certain that the q70r support 4k@120hz at all?
The hdmi port 4 suppport for the above mentioned is only through the one connect box ones according to the manual.

Could someone clarify this pls?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom