• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Samsung Q70 sound dropping out

timday04

Novice Member
Hi there

I would be grateful for some advice on the following issue; my friend asked me to set up his new Samsung Q70 65in television with a Q70 Soundbar as he is a bit of technophobe; I connected them as per the instructions with an HDMI cable and all was well but after a few minutes the sound reverted to the TV and I noticed the source in the menu was now showing TV Speakers. I reset it back to the Soundbar but the same issue continues to happen. He has Sky Q in case that's relevant.

After a while I thought it might be a faulty HDMI cable so set up wifi instead but unfortunately the sound continues to drop out after a few minutes. Any thoughts on what would cause this as I haven't managed to find a definitive answer through a search?

Thanks

Tim

timday04

Novice Member
Many thanks for the reply; I tried updating it but it continued to change modes so I then spent 30 frustrating minutes on the phone to an overseas call centre without success.

My friends nephew is the GM of the large chain/shop it was purchased from. He passed on the details of their resident Samsung expert and as it was ex-display it apparently might still be in shop/retail mode, which could be causing the issues. I‘m slightly dubious but will try and change modes tomorrow and see what happens....

Russ_64

Firstly, did you connect the Sky Q to the soundbar HDMI input, and then soundbar HDMI output to TV’s ARC HDMI input?

If you want TV sound sent to SB then enable CEC called Anynet+ on both TV and SB.

As these were previously setup in a shop, I would start with a factory defaults reset on both devices to make sure there are no rogue settings.

timday04

Novice Member
Thanks Russ, I have managed to change it from SHOP1 to SHOP NG which appears to have resolved it with the optical cable. If i go back to HDMI should the sky box connect directly to the soundbar as mentioned in your previous post?
Thanks

Russ_64

I cannot comment on Samsung modes as never owned one.

If Sky Q is your main HDMI input then I would go into SB and then to TV. If you also have other inputs like UHD Blu-ray and game consoles then it gets more complicated.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom