Samsung Q7/Q8/Q9 Owners' Thread

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given how long these have been on the market, there must be at least one owner who would care to share their user experience....

Is their any owners of a Q8 or 9 who upgraded from a panasonic DX 902. I would be interested to hear about the differences between them.

I would agree with you, if only two or more QLED owners would post their user experience.

These are samsung tvs after all, except for the pricing this year, the tvs themselves must be fairly good, If no owners are going to post about them, how about any guys who have looked long and hard in the retail stores like currys, and the like, even if only to tell us why you did not buy one. pricing aside that is.

Currently, I have an 11 year-old Panasonic plasma. When and if it finally breaks down I will need a replacement.

There's no two-ways about it, I had completely resolved to buy OLED - and have the funds to buy a 55" LG E7. However, reading through the numerous OLED owners on these forums that have issues with banding, image retention, and screen burning, is frankly alarming. One Sony A1 owner on this forum has exchanged it no less than 5 times due to unacceptable banding.

I had completely dismissed the notion of buying LED. That is, until I was on holiday recently. My accommodation had a Samsung KU6400, and I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. With a week to play with its settings at will, it has changed my opinion on LED.

I have the funds to buy a Q7. QLED pricing is reducing nicely. In my local John Lewis they have a Q7 mounted above an MU, which enables direct comparison via an identical video feed. I was impressed. It doesn't help that JL's online reviews are lifted directly from the Samsung USA website - which is why I'm keen to hear from any UK owners.

Last edited:
These are samsung tvs after all, except for the pricing this year, the tvs themselves must be fairly good, If no owners are going to post about them, how about any guys who have looked long and hard in the retail stores like currys, and the like, even if only to tell us why you did not buy one. pricing aside that is.

I have a 65" Flat Q7 arriving this Wednesday, happy to post my thoughts once it's been setup.

I have a 65" Flat Q7 arriving this Wednesday, happy to post my thoughts once it's been setup.
At last someone to start this thread who will own a Q series tv. I will look forward to reading your first impressions of this samsung. well done. this could be the start of a long thread.

Ok first impressions are the tv is very bright, leaps ahead than my 1080p Samsung.
The picture detail with UHD on Netflix and Amazon prime is superb. A lot of detail, crisp picture.

I currently have it on the stand but planning to wall mount it on the weekend. Just to clarify I've purchased the 65" Q7 for £2799 from John Lewis.

The one connect box is very useful as only one cable (plus power cable) goes into the back of the tv, so wall mounting would be very easy to install.

The smart hub is very fluid and loads of apps on the Samsung App Store. Managed to install Plex and tried some movies and perfect so far. I have the tv plugged into Ethernet but the wireless option also works perfectly.

I can't compare this tv to another tv but for the money it's a premium product, I've had Samsung TVs before and very much prefer this brand.

Please Feel feee to ask any questions.

I'll add some pictures over the weekend.

Good to see you got your new tv when expected, first impressions seem positive, it seems a good upgrade from your 1080p. I have a samsung hu7500 and i love the bright, and crisp picture i get from that set, even though i only watch hd channels on it, the other good thing about samsung tvs is that they will play anything you throw at it on a usb stick, where some might not, my panasonic included. Looking forward to reading your review of this tv a few days in.
Can you tell us why you chose the Q7 over other samsung tvs, and was their much of a difference picture wise between them, that is if you compared it to other tvs, or bought it sight unseen.

Long story, my Panasonic tv purchased in late 2016 developed a fault RRP £2499 from John Lewis.

They messed me around trying to get it fixed (after 4 weeks of no shows from engineers) I finally told them replace the tv as it's outside their 28 days repairs promise.
So I had £2499 credit and I had lost faith in Panasonic, therefore without having to pay anymore towards a new tv they replaced it with the qled as a free goodwill gesture with nothing extra for me to pay, including a new 5 year guarantee. Although the tv is great I would of preferred the 75" version but that retails at £4499!!

Anyhow one of the most striking attributes is how bright and colourful it is, leaps ahead than my old Samsung and I prefer the picture to compared to my Panasonic Viera TX 65DX902B. The blacks are not as deep but every other picture detail is better than the panny.

There never will be a perfect tv and although I could of opted for a Sony or oled LG I just preferred this as my old Samsung 1080p is still going strong after 3 1/2 years - brand loyalty at its best. Play the reviews have been very positive from several websites.

I promise to post pictures on the weekend.

I would highly recommend this tv, what's also great is the one connect box, which means only one small thin fire optic cable running from the tv to the one connect box which houses all the connections. Very convenient if wall mounting, plus the power cable, although the one connect box also requires a power output too.

I could not get my panasonic 65dx902 to compare to my samsung, i was 6 months tinkering with the panny and still i did not think it was any better, i started to regret buying the bloody thing, but i knew it had the potential to outshine it, finally i got the settings where i was happy, now the panny beats it hand down, so i thought these new QLEDS must have a fantastic picture. and could probably give the panny a run for its money.

Wow. Shocked you did not go for an OLED but instead went for an edge lit LCD :eek:
That's a step down from a back-lit LCD.
Personally I would have added a few hundred and bought an LG 66" C7

Anyway as long you're happy.
Good luck with this one

Wow. Shocked you did not go for an OLED but instead went for an edge lit LCD :eek:
That's a step down from a back-lit LCD.
Personally I would have added a few hundred and bought an LG 66" C7

Anyway as long you're happy.
Good luck with this one

I hate this forum

You made me go down to John Lewis and I was blown away by the oled screen. I'm seriously considering changing this tv now.
Although which model would you suggest ? The B7 65" would cost me £50 more to purchase as I have £2750 credit.

It's disingenuous for a Moderator (of all people) of this specific Samsung forum to cast such serious doubt on the purchase of the Q7.

Why bother to have such a forum at all if those in charge have such a negative opinion on non OLED purchases.

It's disingenuous for a Moderator (of all people) of this specific Samsung forum to cast such serious doubt on the purchase of the Q7.

Why bother to have such a forum at all if those in charge have such a negative opinion on non OLED purchases.

I do agree but with so many opinions and options ppl are spoilt for choice. But yes we should get back on topic, one negative I have is that a number of review sites are stating that the QLED is poor value for money.

If they were problem free I would buy OLED: no question about it. However, before you 'jump ship' I suggest you read through the OLED forums on banding, image retention, and, screen burning problems.

I hate this forum

You made me go down to John Lewis and I was blown away by the oled screen. I'm seriously considering changing this tv now.
Although which model would you suggest ? The B7 65" would cost me £50 more to purchase as I have £2750 credit.
What happened to brand loyalty, surely you have not had this screen long enough to justify "Jumping ship". surely you compared OLEDS to the samsung you bought, as they are in the same price range. Quite frankly your method for choosing tvs now has me baffled.

Hi folks I've had, since May, the Q7F 75" QLED on a stand. Replaced my picture perfect Panny 58" plasma (2009) - gave it away free. Just wanted a bigger and slimmer frame and looked at this and a few others and it looked (structure and picture wise) easily the best. We're loving it at viewing distance of around 3-4 metres. Have not calibrated it, just flick between different modes depending on broadcast and room light. Dynamic too bright at night. Bottom line very happy. None of the aforementioned problems with ours. Thought about getting a SQ7 as well, but decided my M50d looked better and performance almost identical....!!!

Attachments

• 18673181_800997283385928_257415027560520804_o.jpg
    18673181_800997283385928_257415027560520804_o.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 766
Hi folks I've had, since May, the Q7F 75" QLED on a stand. Replaced my picture perfect Panny 58" plasma (2009) - gave it away free. Just wanted a bigger and slimmer frame and looked at this and a few others and it looked (structure and picture wise) easily the best. We're loving it at viewing distance of around 3-4 metres. Have not calibrated it, just flick between different modes depending on broadcast and room light. Dynamic too bright at night. Bottom line very happy. None of the aforementioned problems with ours. Thought about getting a SQ7 as well, but decided my M50d looked better and performance almost identical....!!!
What tv is that in the picture, it seems too small for a 75 inch.

If they were problem free I would buy OLED: no question about it. However, before you 'jump ship' I suggest you read through the OLED forums on banding, image retention, and, screen burning problems.

Yes already have, there is no perfect TV after all !

What happened to brand loyalty, surely you have not had this screen long enough to justify "Jumping ship". surely you compared OLEDS to the samsung you bought, as they are in the same price range. Quite frankly your method for choosing tvs now has me baffled.

I've baffled myself, I didn't compare any of the TVS until today and the problem I have is that I can return the Q7 within the next 30 days and replace it for another tv upto £2799 (and pay anything else on top), so I've decided to keep it for at least a week and then decide which Tv I will go for.

I'm giving him my opinion since he happens to be in a position where he has the opportunity to change his mind. It's a lot of money to spend and we all look to make the best one to last us a few years. Surely it's worth giving him our opinions to help him?

I do agree but with so many opinions and options ppl are spoilt for choice. But yes we should get back on topic, one negative I have is that a number of review sites are stating that the QLED is poor value for money.

We are certainly spilt for choice. This year more than ever before. Especially with prices tumbling on some.

There is no perfect TV. But there are some better than others. So look around, ask around and be happy with your purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom