• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung Q6F with Samsung 3.1 Sounbar... PCM or bitstream?

Techse7en

Novice Member
I am going nuts! So I have a 75" Q6F and I recently bought a 3.1 series 5 Samsung soundbar (HW-MM55 I believe) hooked together with HDMI-ARC.
When I have the TV audio settings set to bitstream there is an annoying delay and the sound seems weaker. When I switch it to PCM, the delay goes away and the sound is better/louder.
I'd be fine with leaving it on PCM since it sounds better... however I read somewhere that PCM is only 2 channel and now that's stuck in my head, and I don't want to only get a 2 channel signal since I paid more for a 3 channel soundbar.
What does everyone suggest for this?
My soundbar is a 2017 model... would the 2019 version not have the same issues?
I hope this isn't too much of a newb question... but thanks in advance!

Aryn86

Prominent Member
Have you confirmed you're only getting 2 channel audio?

I've had similar if not the same issues with my K850 over ARC....when I use the regular ARC channel the audio is mediocre but using the 'wifi' setting everything just sounds more fuller with a lot more depth. If I was you I'd check to see if you're getting audio from the all 3 channels and if all the speakers appear to be working then I wouldn't think about it again and enjoy your product.

Last edited:

Techse7en

Novice Member
Have you confirmed you're only getting 2 channel audio?

Good question... actually I’ve wondered myself. How would I even be able to tell? Or is it as simple as putting my ear to different spots by the soundbar and see if it’s separated? Thanks for your reply!

Aryn86

Prominent Member
Good question... actually I’ve wondered myself. How would I even be able to tell? Or is it as simple as putting my ear to different spots by the soundbar and see if it’s separated? Thanks for your reply!

Just check there's sound coming out of all the speakers simple as that, it could possibly still be that you'll be getting 2 channel audio upmixed into 3 channels so it's not a total fix but If the audio quality is good enough I doubt there would be much difference from getting 5 channel audio downmixed into 3 channels as bitstream would likely be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom