Samsung Q60T, What's Not To Like?

TheNightFly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 43" TV (can't go much bigger than that due to location) and strongly considering the Q60T. However, I'm being put off by online reviews that basically say it's not that good and not to waste money buying it. Typically, it's described as having an image that's a bit dull and washed out. On paper though, it seems like it's a pretty strong performer from what I can see, unless I'm missing something.

I see it has no local dimming, but looking at contrast ratio, Rtings measure this set at a very high 7,000:1. That's higher than most LED/LCD set's, even with local dimming. Take the Sony XH90 (no wide angle filter), Rtings measure a contrast ratio of about 4,800:1 with local dimming, or the well regarded XH95 (with wide angle filter) about 3,800:1. Lack of full array local dimming here doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem, given the significantly higher contrast ratio, and might even look better as the image won't exhibit haloing around bright objects.

Brightness doesn't seem to be that much of a problem either. Rtings figure is 475nits for this set, and it's quite consistent over a broad range of window sizes. An LG CX OLED has higher peak brightness for small window sizes but drops to lower figures for the larger window sizes. So lack of ABL on the Q60T sounds like bright(ish) scenes are going to look just as bright if not brighter than the LG. The Sony XH90, for comparison, has a peak brightness of 740nits, but it's not quite as consistent across window sizes as the Samsung.

Quick price comparison, the 43" Q60T is £550, 48" LG CX £1,500, 49" Sony XG95 £1,000. So apart from feature set (the Samsung has all I want really, apart from Dolby Vision possibly), when it comes to basic image quality, what am I missing here, the Q60T seems pretty good value for the money? The absolute maximum size I could go to is 49/50", so the next viable contender seems to me to be the 49" Sony XH95, at almost double the price.

Note, the TV will be used in a dark room, so ultimate brightness shouldn't be an issue and viewing will be about 80% SDR (Blu-ray, Netflix, Prime), 20% disk-based HDR.

I'm looking to buy a 43" TV (can't go much bigger than that due to location) and strongly considering the Q60T. However, I'm being put off by online reviews that basically say it's not that good and not to waste money buying it. Typically, it's described as having an image that's a bit dull and washed out. On paper though, it seems like it's a pretty strong performer from what I can see, unless I'm missing something.

I see it has no local dimming, but looking at contrast ratio, Rtings measure this set at a very high 7,000:1. That's higher than most LED/LCD set's, even with local dimming. Take the Sony XH90 (no wide angle filter), Rtings measure a contrast ratio of about 4,800:1 with local dimming, or the well regarded XH95 (with wide angle filter) about 3,800:1. Lack of full array local dimming here doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem, given the significantly higher contrast ratio, and might even look better as the image won't exhibit haloing around bright objects.

Brightness doesn't seem to be that much of a problem either. Rtings figure is 475nits for this set, and it's quite consistent over a broad range of window sizes. An LG CX OLED has higher peak brightness for small window sizes but drops to lower figures for the larger window sizes. So lack of ABL on the Q60T sounds like bright(ish) scenes are going to look just as bright if not brighter than the LG. The Sony XH90, for comparison, has a peak brightness of 740nits, but it's not quite as consistent across window sizes as the Samsung.

Quick price comparison, the 43" Q60T is £550, 48" LG CX £1,500, 49" Sony XG95 £1,000. So apart from feature set (the Samsung has all I want really, apart from Dolby Vision possibly), when it comes to basic image quality, what am I missing here, the Q60T seems pretty good value for the money? The absolute maximum size I could go to is 49/50", so the next viable contender seems to me to be the 49" Sony XH95, at almost double the price.

Note, the TV will be used in a dark room, so ultimate brightness shouldn't be an issue and viewing will be about 80% SDR (Blu-ray, Netflix, Prime), 20% disk-based HDR.

It's hard to advise because you are essentially trying to compare apples with oranges in most aspects. The 43" is much cheaper but it's obviously smaller and will have an inferior image and motion quality when compared to the LG and Sony XH. I wouldn't worry at all about the lack of DV with the Samsung at all as it just isn't bright enough to begin to pump out HDR. You really need 700-800 at a minimum (Q80T or XH9005) but for true HDR 1000 and above. OLEDS may be less able to hit the brightness levels of the top end LCD's but their ability to control every single pixel brightness means they are still able to produce very good HDR images. Not as good as the top end LCD's but extremely good, and in gaming the LG CX looks phenomenal!

I have the XH95 but the 65" screen so it has the benefits of the wide angle filters and a few other bits and it's a superb set for image quality, upscaling, motion and HDR. With you saying you will mainly be watching in a dark room though I would be tempted to go for the LG, unless screen burn worries you. Either way I personally would not touch the Q60T, it just doesn't cut it and always try to get the largest screen you can.

Hold on until Black Friday onwards for lower pricing.

Thanks for the considered reply LCDseeker. Although I could accommodate something a little bigger than 43” it would be a bit bigger than strictly necessary. There isn‘t really a lot of quality options at 43”, the Samsung looks to be the best of the bunch, and if looking for something that basically performs better, then 48/49/50” it has to be, and I’m wondering if the image improvement is worth the additional cost, considering I’m also paying for a bigger screen size than I actually need or want.

This TV will be for a spare room I recently setup with various spare bits and pieces for playing games over the Internet with my son during lockdown and watching the odd film or boxset quietly on my own when my wife is watching something she’s interested in on the main set (Sony 65XG95) downstairs. I’ve really enjoyed the use of this room the way it’s setup now but looking to improve on the elderly 32” TV I’ve got in there at the moment. I’m looking for a bit more screen immersion but don’t want to overspend, then again I don’t want to fork out £550 and be disappointed.

EC9C682B-C3DC-40CD-B41F-E90CD4A644E1.jpeg
69D3FA11-3363-4C66-84A7-27FA366D9F33.jpeg

Thanks for the considered reply LCDseeker. Although I could accommodate something a little bigger than 43” it would be a bit bigger than strictly necessary. There isn‘t really a lot of quality options at 43”, the Samsung looks to be the best of the bunch, and if looking for something that basically performs better, then 48/49/50” it has to be, and I’m wondering if the image improvement is worth the additional cost, considering I’m also paying for a bigger screen size than I actually need or want.

This TV will be for a spare room I recently setup with various spare bits and pieces for playing games over the Internet with my son during lockdown and watching the odd film or boxset quietly on my own when my wife is watching something she’s interested in on the main set (Sony 65XG95) downstairs. I’ve really enjoyed the use of this room the way it’s setup now but looking to improve on the elderly 32” TV I’ve got in there at the moment. I’m looking for a bit more screen immersion but don’t want to overspend, then again I don’t want to fork out £550 and be disappointed.

View attachment 1381334View attachment 1381337

Nice set up! But you can definitely justify a bigger screen in there. How about monitoring the sony refurb site?.... as good deals pop up quite often, although they sell within hours. Maybe look at the Hisense U8Q, pumps out genuine HDR and is great value for what you get. I just can't see a 43" doing it for you.

Thanks again LCDseeker. It's a bit difficult to judge from the photo, but the viewing distance to the TV screen is only 1.8m. From there, that 32" set already looks bigger than my main 65" TV which has a viewing distance of 5.5m. Going up to 43" with the screen at the same position "feels" about right, it'll be quite a bit bigger again and probably more than adequate, without being overwhelming. 43" viewed from 1.8m has an angle of view of about 30 degrees which is the recommendation I'm seeing on the Rtings website for watching movies (20 degrees for mixed usage). I may buy something larger, just to avoid disappointment with the performance and end up spending again on something better next year, but I may well end up placing the screen a little further back (or maybe not if I like it!)

Thanks again LCDseeker. It's a bit difficult to judge from the photo, but the viewing distance to the TV screen is only 1.8m. From there, that 32" set already looks bigger than my main 65" TV which has a viewing distance of 5.5m. Going up to 43" with the screen at the same position "feels" about right, it'll be quite a bit bigger again and probably more than adequate, without being overwhelming. 43" viewed from 1.8m has an angle of view of about 30 degrees which is the recommendation I'm seeing on the Rtings website for watching movies (20 degrees for mixed usage). I may buy something larger, just to avoid disappointment with the performance and end up spending again on something better next year, but I may well end up placing the screen a little further back (or maybe not if I like it!)

I only sit about 8 feet from our 65" and love the immersive viewing it provides but we're all different. Im sure you'll find something suitable.

@The Nightfly Don't forget Rtings reviewed a whole different size. Just because the 55" has a 7000:1 contrast ratio doesn't mean the 43" does as well (I see the 55" tested was a Samsung panel and I see the 43" doesn't have a Samsung panel). Brightness numbers might not be completely the same either as higher pixel density makes it harder for light to pass through (a Polish review of the 55" even measured 100 nits lower on a 10% window for HDR). And with no local dimming it's only logical different window sizes maintain the same brightness
Mostly it's hard to recommend QLED 60 models because they tended to barely offer anything over the next best non-QLED model (but Samsung has done it's best to cripple those models over the past two years as well; they've lost quite a bit of brightness. I guess as a result of this it would now make sense to go for the Q60T over a TU8000)

Wondering how you are going to watch SDR Netflix and Prime? Afaik internal apps play in HDR when HDR is available

You could also consider: Sony Bravia KD-49XG8305 (TVs) (forgot it doesn't have Dolby Vision yet, unlike the successor 49XH8505)

@The Nightfly Don't forget Rtings reviewed a whole different size. Just because the 55" has a 7000:1 contrast ratio doesn't mean the 43" does as well (I see the 55" tested was a Samsung panel and I see the 43" doesn't have a Samsung panel). Brightness numbers might not be completely the same either as higher pixel density makes it harder for light to pass through (a Polish review of the 55" even measured 100 nits lower on a 10% window for HDR). And with no local dimming it's only logical different window sizes maintain the same brightness
Mostly it's hard to recommend QLED 60 models because they tended to barely offer anything over the next best non-QLED model (but Samsung has done it's best to cripple those models over the past two years as well; they've lost quite a bit of brightness. I guess as a result of this it would now make sense to go for the Q60T over a TU8000)

Wondering how you are going to watch SDR Netflix and Prime? Afaik internal apps play in HDR when HDR is available

You could also consider: Sony Bravia KD-49XG8305 (TVs) (forgot it doesn't have Dolby Vision yet, unlike the successor 49XH8505)

Good points, and you are worrying me now that the 43” panel might not be as good as a 55” for the reasons you suggest.

Just on the point of Netflix and Prime, I live in a rural area on the West Coast of Scotland where my internet connection is 6Mb at best (and normally a lot less than that!) so I’m just grateful that I can stream Netflix HD ... being able to stream in UHD is a pipe dream!

I‘ll investigate the 85 and 90 series Sonys. I think the 85’s are IPS panels, so that‘s putting me off, and I’m thinking if I’m looking at something around £700-800 then for just a little bit more I might as well go for the 49XH95. I’d love to give the 48” LG CX a go, but I’d feel guilty about the indulgence given this is a secondary set.

Good points, and you are worrying me now that the 43” panel might not be as good as a 55” for the reasons you suggest.

Just on the point of Netflix and Prime, I live in a rural area on the West Coast of Scotland where my internet connection is 6Mb at best (and normally a lot less than that!) so I’m just grateful that I can stream Netflix HD ... being able to stream in UHD is a pipe dream!

I‘ll investigate the 85 and 90 series Sonys. I think the 85’s are IPS panels, so that‘s putting me off, and I’m thinking if I’m looking at something around £700-800 then for just a little bit more I might as well go for the 49XH95. I’d love to give the 48” LG CX a go, but I’d feel guilty about the indulgence given this is a secondary set.

Indulge! 😆 But if not aim for the 90 range on the Sonys.

I personally own the Q60T and my family and I really enjoy using it. The brightness and colours are great for me, though I have to say that in dim lighting, the colours look a little off.
People have told me that sitting too far to the side will make the colours washed out but since your space is not too huge, I think it shouldn't be a problem!
People have told you? Do you steadfastly refuse to move from your central seat with its perfect viewing angle? 😀

The 49" XH85 is still a VA panel (confirmed in a recent Polish review), same as the XG83 was (same as the XG90/XH95 49"er but with different backlighting obviously)
Isn't HDR available on Netflix HD as well?
" We recommend an internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream titles available in HDR10 and Dolby Vision at Ultra HD 4K resolution. If your internet connection speed is lower, you can still enjoy HDR at lower resolutions like 1080p"

Last edited:
Hi @desinho, I thought the XH85 had an IPS panel based on the XG85 (X850G) review by Rtings (see here Sony X850G Review (XBR-55X850G, XBR-65X850G, XBR-75X850G, XBR-85X850G)) and assumed that was true of this years XH model as well. Clearly that could have changed this year so I‘ve had a look around and all I seem to dig up that would help are the specifications on the FlatpanelsHD website. See here: Sony XH85 specifications - TV Database - FlatpanelsHD

Flatpanels HD indicates that the XH85 is IPS. So some confusion somewhere.

I wasn’t aware that HDR info would still be streamed by Netflix if bandwidth limited the transmission to 1080p. Receiving HDR info must only be the case if you have a Netflix UHD subscription. I don’t currently get it as my subscription is just Netflix HD due to the very limited bandwidth I get here. I didn’t think there was any point paying the extra as I’m well below the minimum requirements stated by Netflix but it might be worth upping the subscription to UHD for a month just to see what happens, i.e. If I start receiving HDR, albeit at 1080p

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s another site (DisplaySpecifications) that indicates IPS

@The Nightfly All based on speculation. Here is the review with pixel structure closeup: Recenzja i test: TV Sony KD-49XH8505 4K — Geex (now keep an eye on the above site and magically watch their spec altered in the coming weeks :D). This thread should probably be moved to this section by now What Is The Best TV For You?
But to make a tiny connection to this Samsung section: this happens to be a Samsung panel :lesson:.
Think you might be right about needing to UHD subscription for HDR even at FHD only ...

49XH85.jpg

I bought the Q60T 43" for my kitchen and took it back. View angle is the worst I have ever seen on a TV. Bought a Sony X800H 43" and all is good now.

Is the 43Q60T VA like the larger sizes? I've found a few foreign articles claiming it's actually IPS (or ADS or PLS or whatever Samsung's IPS variant is called).

I bought the Q60T 43" for my kitchen and took it back. View angle is the worst I have ever seen on a TV. Bought a Sony X800H 43" and all is good now.

This was the model I was recently looking at well I think the uk version is KD-43XH8096 43" panel at least.

Just like Thenightfly suggested its easy to get tempted or to go for the Samsung Q60T or variants of it since it starts from 43" range but its an deceptive model.

Is the 43Q60T VA like the larger sizes? I've found a few foreign articles claiming it's actually IPS (or ADS or PLS or whatever Samsung's IPS variant is called).

I think the 43" Q60T is VA but the bigger models might be IPS or similar, especially the higher end QLED type panels which support wide viewing angle, feels they would have to be IPS or similar.

Interesting to hear which one you went for in the end, the 43" TVs that are out there are somewhat trap feeling products especially from Samsung.

And as mentioned from this thread samsung seem to go backwards at times with specs not to mention many 43" TVs in general are either very poor or have issues with them in one way or another.

I think the Sony KD-43XH8096 43" might be the one to go for I believe its IPS so should have the wide viewing angles but have seen a few videos saying the contrast is not the best and more so in dark rooms so the Samsung Q60T still could be an better option.

All manufacturers as you have probably seen seem to put all the tech and quality into 55" and beyond, so 40-43" owners get the left overs like the bone and never the meat.... you can't win.

LG, Sony and Panasonic need to release the 42" OLED panels asap, not everyone has space for 55" or 48" even.

Just in case anyone later on from April 2021 reads this, Sony and Samsung do have newer 2021 TVs arriving and if anyone is looking for 43" TVs maybe check for these ones:

Sony KD43X80JPU

lg-43up77006lb

lg-43up81006la

samsung-qe43q60a

These are UK models, they appear to be the newer ones for 2021 series, no idea if any better then last years.

I think the 43" Q60T is VA but the bigger models might be IPS or similar, especially the higher end QLED type panels which support wide viewing angle, feels they would have to be IPS or similar.
Models below 55in in the 2020 range all have 60hz panels whereas models above 55in for the same model number have various other extras such as 120hz or the ultra wide viewing angle you mentioned.

The larger models are VA but as you go up the range they support ultra wide viewing angle. They do this by having a filter on the front that extends the viewing angle. So you get the wide viewing angle of ips but the benefits of VA.

I have it on my UK q85r whereas the uk Q80R does not.

Models below 55in in the 2020 range all have 60hz panels whereas models above 55in for the same model number have various other extras such as 120hz or the ultra wide viewing angle you mentioned.

The larger models are VA but as you go up the range they support ultra wide viewing angle. They do this by having a filter on the front that extends the viewing angle. So you get the wide viewing angle of ips but the benefits of VA.

I have it on my UK q85r whereas the uk Q80R does not.

thanks very good to know VA panels can still have the wide screen viewing ability was not aware of that just wish they did that to the 43" panels!

Interesting to hear which one you went for in the end, the 43" TVs that are out there are somewhat trap feeling products especially from Samsung.
I went for a 55” Sony A8H OLED in the end. I thought I might have been going a bit over the top given the initial brief, but no regrets. Fabulous set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom