Samsung Q60T dropping down to 30fps periodically on 60fps content

alpacapoop

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just bought two of these and both have the same issue to where 720p and 1080i content is dropping down to 30fps content on live tv, typically happening when there’s not a lot of motion in the picture, it feels like the TV is trying to save energy or something by dropping frames during low motion but still 60fps content. I turned off all motion quality settings and I couldn’t get rid of the issue. Anyone know how to fix this? I haven’t updated the tvs yet but I will try later today to update the firmware and see if that fixes the issue

Just bought two of these and both have the same issue to where 720p and 1080i content is dropping down to 30fps content on live tv, typically happening when there’s not a lot of motion in the picture, it feels like the TV is trying to save energy or something by dropping frames during low motion but still 60fps content. I turned off all motion quality settings and I couldn’t get rid of the issue. Anyone know how to fix this? I haven’t updated the tvs yet but I will try later today to update the firmware and see if that fixes the issue
Yes similar thing I posted about with the q90t. Watching freesat or now tv I get a stutter and looks as though frames have dropped and then they’ll be some motion and it’s back to normal, seems to happen more on slow panning shots or shots where there’s hardly any motion at all.

however, mine seems to be with 50hz content as that’s what freesat and now tv broadcast at and 60hz content seems fine for me.

I’ve got a 55NU8000, my set does this on freesat but only on certain programs weirdly (eg Saturday kitchen this morning). I have motion plus enabled but set to 0. Also, my previous Panasonic set did it too. TVs are weird these days

Welp I did more investigating and it wasn’t the TV doing this, it was actually spectrum and their app doing this. Tested this on another LG I had and same issue, so it’s on them (or my Apple TV’s, but I’m pretty sure it’s them)

I’ve got a 55NU8000, my set does this on freesat but only on certain programs weirdly (eg Saturday kitchen this morning). I have motion plus enabled but set to 0. Also, my previous Panasonic set did it too. TVs are weird these days
Yes this is what I’ve found as well. Movies and some programmes all seem fine but then other things such as football, games shows and tonight BGT all show a lot of stutter that’s very noticeable. My old Samsung didn’t have this issue. Is this a deinterlacing issue? Why would films etc be immune but other things aren’t. I wonder if tv is showing in a different format such as interlaced for some programmes and progressive for the films etc? Any views?

I assume there is no way to erradicate. Would a software update fix it?

Maybe trying upping the de-judder on motion plus?
I tried this, I’ve tried every setting of judder reduction from 0 to 10 and nothing helps. I’ve tried a combination of settings in the picture clarity settings including auto and nothing works. I still end up with lots of stutter but only on certain programmes. As I say, seems bad on football in now tv but films on now tv are perfect and no stutter. What is causing it? Is it the way the broadcast is. It seems like the frame rate drops to half of what it should be and when the motion picks up again such as panning shots it all goes back to normal.
I’m surprised I’ve not read any other posts on here from people with same issue as seems to affect now tv and free sat quite a bit but as I say only on certain programmes which is strange. Any ideas anyone?

Turn off Motion Plus completely and that should sort.
Hi, yes I did this already. I don’t have a setting that says auto motion plus. Settings on tv for judder reduction etc are all under picture clarity control. All is set to off.

so why then am I getting this issue whereas doesn’t appear there’s anyone really with same issue?

Occurs only on 50hz content from what I’ve seen so far. I’ve turned tv off at wall and restarted but same issue.It’s on the latest firmware.

Hi, yes I did this already. I don’t have a setting that says auto motion plus. Settings on tv for judder reduction etc are all under picture clarity control. All is set to off.

so why then am I getting this issue whereas doesn’t appear there’s anyone really with same issue?

Occurs only on 50hz content from what I’ve seen so far. I’ve turned tv off at wall and restarted but same issue.It’s on the latest firmware.

Ah ok looks like it's been renamed to Picture Clarity on this years TVs. I had the same issue on my Q90R and turning the similar setting to off on this resolved it. Strange that it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ah ok looks like it's been renamed to Picture Clarity on this years TVs. I had the same issue on my Q90R and turning the similar setting to off on this resolved it. Strange that it doesn't seem to work anymore.
Yeah think you are right it’s Picture Clarity now.

nope, def doesn’t work for me. Having this setting to off doesn’t help but equally no other combination of settings work either so I’m at a loss.

I’ve tried turning tv off at wall and tonight I did a factory reset just to make sure but again no luck.

what I find weird is that some programs appear to play as intended where as others don’t. Every movie I’ve played through now tv or free sat plays as intended with no slow downs but most other shows and sport has this weird frame rate drop.

Any non European format such as Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and Netflix all play fine as well. Also, BT sport runs fine and smooth. It’s just freesat and now tv along with bbc iPlayer that I’ve found so far that I’m getting the issues with. IPlayer UHD test plays fine as well.

is it something to do with type of format of stream that is causing it as surely it would do it on all content on now tv etc otherwise?

if the q90r doesn’t have this issue with clarity settings turned off then do you think it’s a firmware issue as something is not right as some programs are unwatchable currently. Unfortunately, I never tested tv on original firmware and updated it whilst setting up tv.
Thanks for your help

Yeah think you are right it’s Picture Clarity now.

nope, def doesn’t work for me. Having this setting to off doesn’t help but equally no other combination of settings work either so I’m at a loss.

I’ve tried turning tv off at wall and tonight I did a factory reset just to make sure but again no luck.

what I find weird is that some programs appear to play as intended where as others don’t. Every movie I’ve played through now tv or free sat plays as intended with no slow downs but most other shows and sport has this weird frame rate drop.

Any non European format such as Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and Netflix all play fine as well. Also, BT sport runs fine and smooth. It’s just freesat and now tv along with bbc iPlayer that I’ve found so far that I’m getting the issues with. IPlayer UHD test plays fine as well.

is it something to do with type of format of stream that is causing it as surely it would do it on all content on now tv etc otherwise?

if the q90r doesn’t have this issue with clarity settings turned off then do you think it’s a firmware issue as something is not right as some programs are unwatchable currently. Unfortunately, I never tested tv on original firmware and updated it whilst setting up tv.
Thanks for your help

Yeah it sounds like even though you have turned off the setting then the TV is still doing some processing as UK content doesn't seem to play nice with these motion smoothing type settings (25 frames per second for the UK vs the USA having 30fps roughly). Samsung seem to love having stuff enabled that you can't turn off.

Yeah it sounds like even though you have turned off the setting then the TV is still doing some processing as UK content doesn't seem to play nice with these motion smoothing type settings (25 frames per second for the UK vs the USA having 30fps roughly). Samsung seem to love having stuff enabled that you can't turn off.
Yes it does sound like something in the tv software is not turning off so it’s running at correct speed when there’s motion and panning but stutters when screen is more still so you get a lot of stutter when there’s stop start motion. As I say, some things seems to be affected more than others.

has no one else got this issue running latest firmware?

how can I fix it if that’s the case?

I was wrong, seeing the same thing you guys are seeing that I posted about. Anything in low FPS content doesn’t show this but higher 60fps like game shows does, sports don’t really show it but yes it’s there and annoying. I believe it might only be 1080i content, so indeed it might be a de-interlacing issue. I’ll have to see if this affects nfl and stuff this weekend and if it does I’ll have to return these which will suck.

I was wrong, seeing the same thing you guys are seeing that I posted about. Anything in low FPS content doesn’t show this but higher 60fps like game shows does, sports don’t really show it but yes it’s there and annoying. I believe it might only be 1080i content, so indeed it might be a de-interlacing issue. I’ll have to see if this affects nfl and stuff this weekend and if it does I’ll have to return these which will suck.
Yes mine is in low FPS content but only within a 50hz broadcast. You state though that yours is if the FPS is higher at 60fps.
I get the issue on various types of programs Which is using 50hz, is yours the same?
See with mine it’s basically anything can do it. If you use now tv then I have been getting it a lot on all sports when low FPS. Formula 1 you don’t see it as much as lots of movement on screen that keeps the stutter from occurring.
I was wondering if it is 1080i content as I believe freesat is broadcast this way and maybe bbc and now tv also broadcast this for most programmes such as sport. I don’t get it on any of the American based programs on now tv or some of the other catch up programs on there. Football is fine as long as lots of movement and panning of camera but replays when it’s slowed down struggles a lot with stutter.

what could be causing this then? Is it a software issue in firmware as this surely isn’t right?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom