Samsung Q60R (QE55Q60R) QLED TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
The RU8000 is pretty much the same as this but a fair bit cheaper and doesn't suffer so much with backlight issues.

The Q70 is a good buy at the moment 55 inch can be had for £999 and should be cheaper on black friday.

Not sure why anyone would get the Q60.

The RU8000 is pretty much the same as this but a fair bit cheaper and doesn't suffer so much with backlight issues.

The Q70 is a good buy at the moment 55 inch can be had for £999 and should be cheaper on black friday.

...no video enthusiasts would be interested in this tv. Best suited as a spare telly for a guest room perhaps. Not sure why it is being reviewed tbh other than as comparison to the higher end models.

...no video enthusiasts would be interested in this tv. Best suited as a spare telly for a guest room perhaps. Not sure why it is being reviewed tbh other than as comparison to the higher end models.
It's being reviewed as readers have asked us to cover TVs lower down the ranges and at more realistic price points.

That is exactly what the Verdict says. The Q70R is good value for those wanting an all-round LCD TV. You may even get it cheaper before BF.

Have you got any links to the comparison between the RU8000 and Q60 with reference to backlight issues? I was under the impression they were the same panel but the Q60 had some software bells and whistles?

The RU's taken a good dive in price over the last couple of months so probably is the better buy over the Q60 now, but when I looked last there was not much difference in them. Q70 at £1000 is a fair amount more again, so all hinges on what the BF price is compared to a BF price on the RU for me.

Have you got any links to the comparison between the RU8000 and Q60 with reference to backlight issues? I was under the impression they were the same panel but the Q60 had some software bells and whistles?

The RU's taken a good dive in price over the last couple of months so probably is the better buy over the Q60 now, but when I looked last there was not much difference in them. Q70 at £1000 is a fair amount more again, so all hinges on what the BF price is compared to a BF price on the RU for me.

Have a look on rtings mate.

I'm also looking at the Q70 on black friday.

My girlfriend has the 43" version of the Samsung Q60R which she purchased in September. It's a good general TV, and she's very happy with it. The choice was down to the Q60R or Sony KD43XG8305, due to the size and price point.

She went for the Samsung, rather than the Sony, because she'd previously owned a Samsung TV and had been very happy with it.

However, I think the review should bring stark attention to the fact the the Samsung SmartTV interface constantly brings ups nagging ads for movies that Samsung want to sell you via their store. I fine this totally unacceptable - it infuriates me!

Had I bought this TV, I would have returned as not fit for purpose due to the nagging ads, that cannot be disabled. My girlfriend is far less enraged by this than me, but I think the review should at least mention it.

If you don't like the nagging ads, vote with your feet and buy the Sony, and send a message to Samsung that this practice is *not* acceptable.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
My girlfriend has the 43" version of the Samsung Q60R which she purchased in September. It's a good general TV, and she's very happy with it. The choice was down to the Q60R or Sony KD43XG8305, due to the size and price point.

She went for the Samsung, rather than the Sony, because she'd previously owned a Samsung TV and had been very happy with it.

However, I think the review should bring stark attention to the fact the the Samsung SmartTV interface constantly brings ups nagging ads for movies that Samsung want to sell you via their store. I fine this totally unacceptable - it infuriates me!

Had I bought this TV, I would have returned as not fit for purchase due to the nagging ads, that cannot be disabled. My girlfriend is far less enraged by this than me, but I think the review should at least mention it.

If you don't like the nagging ads, vote with your feet and buy the Sony, and send a message to Samsung that this is practice is *not* acceptable.

Regards,
James.
On the top samsung tv's of 2016/17 you could disable this, not sure on the current crop though

Have a look on rtings mate.

I'm also looking at the Q70 on black friday.

Thanks, very similar overall really - I wouldn't be surprised if panel variance is to account for the uniformity issues between them though. Clearly the pick will be down to cost on BF - though I'm very partial to the Art mode on the QLED range!

If the RU is say circa low £500's, then I'm not sure I'd want to pay any more than about £800 for a Q70 - which I think is probably far too optimistic anyway.

I can only assume the Q60 exists to let people think that you are getting some of that high end Samsung TV tech. The slight of hand probably works for many people.

But even in the worst TV show rooms you can see a marked difference in picture when it sits next to a Q70/Q80/Q90

Had I bought this TV, I would have returned as not fit for purchase due to the nagging ads, that cannot be disabled. My girlfriend is far less enraged by this than me, but I think the review should at least mention it.

If you don't like the nagging ads, vote with your feet and buy the Sony, and send a message to Samsung that this is practice is *not* acceptable.

Regards,
James.

All smart TVs have ads now.

I think what people would like to know is can you remove them in settings or reduce the impact?

Not on LG or Samsung sets. Unsure about Sony. You can block certain addresses via your router that can mitigate the issue.

It’s obviously subjective because ads are not intrusive or annoying on my Samsung set. I’ve only ever seen them in the home bar.

I think a lot of people considering the Q60 will be those looking for a smaller tv (40-43") and wondering how (in that size) it compares to the Sony XG83 and Panasonic GX800. Be great to find a definitive shoot-out between the three.

I think a lot of people considering the Q60 will be those looking for a smaller tv (40-43") and wondering how (in that size) it compares to the Sony XG83 and Panasonic GX800. Be great to find a definitive shoot-out between the three.

Yes, it’s difficult to find high-end TVs that are in the 40-43” size. Not sure why. Many people have space constraints (corners of rooms etc.) where a larger TV just isn’t practical, but still want good quality.

BTW: The feet are ludicrously wide-apart on the Q60R for no reason whatsoever. It would only just fit on the existing TV stand my girlfriend wanted to use. Stupid design decision by Samsung.

Regards,
James.

I can only assume the Q60 exists to let people think that you are getting some of that high end Samsung TV tech. The slight of hand probably works for many people.

But even in the worst TV show rooms you can see a marked difference in picture when it sits next to a Q70/Q80/Q90

These TVs are not available in 43” screen size. choice is very limited below 50”.

These TVs are not available in 43” screen size. choice is very limited below 50”.

It's only very limited if you want a high end TV which most people who buy TV's don't want.

Yes the people on this forum predominantly want a decent (higher end) TV but that isn't the wider market.

It would seem Samsung would have done the number crunching and at this point in time with the Q70 49" being the smallest they will go. But you never know maybe next year they will make smaller TV's in the 2020 revamp Q70 range. Then again we all know the industry is changing big time within the next few years and Samsung are already re-positioning on tech.

Don't get me wrong I would love to buy a higher tech smaller tv for the bedroom etc but really the numbers can't be working for the manufactures or surely they would do it.

Sub 50” market will change in next year or so once the 48” oleds start coming to the market.

Sub 50” market will change in next year or so once the 48” oleds start coming to the market.
One can only hope!

Thanks for this review - was thinking of suggesting a 55Q60 to my parents who are looking for a new TV, but not so sure now! Hopefully BF will have some good deals...

Intolerable to my mind. I simply do not not want a manufacturer determining the quality of my picture, unless that quality is near perfect, such as Panasonic seems to be doing.

Quite absurd from a manufacturer of this size.

I’m sure it’ll work for them though. Many people still use use the ‘shop’ setting so I’m told, so I doubt there’ll be much commercially negative feedback for them.

Does the RU8000 have the same issues with the gamma curve? Because that is a serious defect, and I would steer any friends looking for a "price/performance" TV away from this model.

I don't mind if the S curve is an option in some other picture mode, but not the most accurate one - seems like it is better to recommend the Hisense OLED (your other recent review of a "budget" TV) if/when it gets cheaper than a "name-brand" LCD model with undefeatable dynamic contrast.

Last edited:
Does the RU8000 have the same issues with the gamma curve? Because that is a serious defect, and I would steer any friends looking for a "price/performance" TV away from this model.

I don't mind if the S curve is an option in some other picture mode, but not the most accurate one - seems like it is better to recommend the Hisense OLED (your other recent review of a "budget" TV) if/when it gets cheaper than a "name-brand" LCD model with undefeatable dynamic contrast.

Trouble is I would always be thinking of Hyacinth from keeping up appearances if I had Hisense.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom