Samsung Purple Haze Issue - Burn-In?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by djkprojects, Sep 11, 2012.

1. djkprojects

djkprojects
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Sorry for creating a new thread re the well known issue with the purple haze however I couldn't quite find any thread that would be relevant to my issue.

I've got a 42" Samsung Plasma TV that shows two purple patches in the same place on the screen very visible on bright colours however it seems that the intensity of them depends on overall brightness of the whole picture i.e. sometimes the patches don't show even on a white background or are not so intense when the overall brightness is lower.

I have attached two screenshots of the same movie frame with one patch visible - as you can see on the haze.jpg there is a small purple haze just above the wall but when I press the "Info" the haze disappears (no_haze.jpg)

This also occurs when watching TV - the haze disappears or is smaller with the "Info" on.

I tried adjusting picture settings but without any luck - also the haze is more intense when watching in Dynamic or Standard mode.

Can you please advise if that is a definite burn-in or perhaps the TV just needs voltage adjusting.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    Looks alot like magenta noise to me.
    Im sure Scooby will be able to post pics but thats not screen burn.

3. djkprojects

djkprojects
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply

I also didn't think it would be a burn-in - otherwise the haze would be there permanently right ?

Could anybody please advise how can I get rid off this - do I need to replace or adjust something on the board? It would be great if you could provide some instructions

Thanks

4. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    With my vt30 that had magenta noise the tv was replaced.
    The repair team tried replacing the a board aka the brains of the tv and it didnt help. They did suggest replacing the main power boards but in the end decided a full replacement would be better.

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Yes had this on my V20 a while back. Gamma changes effect it and contrast. Started quite mild on my set showing on my PS3 only, but soon started appearing on games and in films. It often follows contours so in the days of the PX60 it was known as purple snakes(do a search) also known by the experts as magenta noise. As far as Important aware there's no working fix for it.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  7. djkprojects

djkprojects
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

What I'd like to try is voltage adjustment as read somewhere that this can be eliminated be calibrating the voltage somewhere on the board however I'm not sure where exactly - is anybody able to advise where on board I can find it ?

Thanks

8. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    That fixes pixel missfireing and won't help, its called pot tweaking, done it on my D6900 to improve black level. When adjusting you get missfireing and adjust it out.
    Its a very dangerous thing to be doing for both your set and you, chances of a shock that can potentially kill and at least be unpleasant are high. I had expert advise from a well respected member and he mentioned nothing about voltage change to resolve magenta noise.

Some replaced boards when the issue effected the PX60s but it was only a temporary fix.

9. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Hi mate

Had same issue on my d6900, ice age films tended to show it at its worse, sent it off for repair, the repair note says they changed the panel (which is evident as I have a dead pixel on the replacement) logic board firmware was different when my set was returned, so I am guessing they tried swapping the main board first but that didn't work.

Altering brightness and changing white balance in the service menu did alter the effect but there was no way to eliminate it.

I wasn't sure if currys would fix mine as the plug had been cut and reconnected (to get it on my wall) fortunately they did.

I had looked into the possibility of altering voltage via the pots, in case they wouldn't repair it.

The problem with mine does seem similar to the guys who move the pots too far and get misfires. It was like a flickering magenta haze in the middle of the screen

The problem did seem to worsen as time went on. Best advise (providing it is in warranty) is book it in for a repair ASAP

Cheers

10. djkprojects

djkprojects
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, on mine the patches are flickering as well. The thing is that they're not always there so it can't be burn-in. They only appear when the picture has many bright areas as if the panel wasn't coping with the overall brightness of the picture. it's fine otherwise. That's why i thought that the reason might be not enough power going into the panel.

When you say "service menu" do you mean the standard menu or the tv's "backend" menu. if so, then how can I access it?

Thanks

EDIT: My TV is out of warranty and I lost all the papers when moving house anyway :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  11. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Missfireing pixels tend to dance about and chances are they will appear in more than one place dependent on what's being displayed. Magenta noise appears in areas depending on content often following contours in an image or may appear in a patch like form. Changing gamma and or contrast effects this too. Id contact the manufacturer warranty or not, if the sets not that old SOGA will give you some protection.

12. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Yes it is mate, I think with tv off press mute 1 8 2 power

There is a large thread on here ( think its called Samsung pq issues or something ) in there it details the effect of the settings , don't think it will help tbh and if you alter the wrong thing you could do more harm than good

Just altering the standard pic setting would alter the effect , it was worse when set to standard , at first it was intermittent (but always in the same place) then it became permanent

Always appeared on the brightest scenes, which could possibly tie in with it being a power issue

Sadly though I only think a panel replacement will fix it, although I could understand that maybe altering the pots could temporarily produce a result

Cheers

13. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Just to add these guys now a hell of a lot more than me regarding the inner workings of plasma tv's

Just detailing my issue (which seems similar) in the hope there may be something of use

Cheers :)

14. burnsybhoy

burnsybhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have just had my TV collected by an authorised Samsung repairer due to this same issue. Started appearing a few weeks ago on my Samsung PS51d6900 which is only 9 months old.

Phoned John Lewis to organise so let's see what happens next. I've now had 2 Samsung Plasma's that have developed faults in the last 8 years and a Panasonic which was totally fine.

Starting to go off Samsung