Samsung PS60F5500 Plasma TV Review

12 promises

nice and informative review.
I have 2 plasma screens ......a 42 and 50 inch.
I despise the picture quality of the led/lcd screens that I have seen.
I for one will miss this technology.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I'll miss it too, plasma just looks so natural compared to other screens. Nearly everyone jumped on the LED bandwagon, but now with OLED coming TV manufacturers are going to have to try and tell people that those LED TV's they've been buying for the last few years aren't actually LED. Tough sell.

the hoff

Couldn't agree more with the first post; I've only ever owned plasma since the move from CRT and (particularly for screens 42" and above) I cannot understand why anyone would want an LCD screen in its stead. A 20" LCD for the kids bedroom/kitchen etc. is fine, but for critical viewing it's got to be plasma (at least until I can afford OLED).

Real shame that the TV-buying public is by and large educated by the big retailers and their shameful attempts to push LED-backlit LCD TV's as the pinnacle of TV technology. Even my most disinterested friends and family can see the difference in performance between plasma and LCD......

sirlukas

If it only had Freesat HD too, it would be perfect for me (bar it's brand).

Fitze73

go on buy it i urge everyone to get one , if only they would seriously coming from the e6500 of last year to this i was pleasantly surprised and overwelmed at the same time , reflective screen yes , but get past that you have one of the overlooked plasma tv's of 2013 imo anyway :), i wouldnt waste double your money nearly on a LED of the same size unless you enjoy wasting money that is :)

Loopthrough

Yes, plasma is great, but really it's has had its day. Direct local dimming LED was an interesting LCD alternative and very close, but OLED is the way forward and it can only be a good thing that manufacturers are discontinuing plasma in favour of it in the long term.

RenaultSport

Hopefully Samsung will have one last go next year just to try and beat the VT65.

Tonkerdog

I've never got the plasma thing personally. I'm happy to believe in the expert reviews and the tech results, but they never seem to deliver the promise of the "inky" blacks etc when seen in the flesh.

I compared two screens using the same media, and in the same dark environment but the local dimming LCD display was far sharper, with more vivid colours and better blacks. I'm personally not bothered what it says on the tin, just what it delivers, and judging by how unpopular they now are to customers and retailers, it's really not surprising they are disappearing.

Dans1210

went thru 7 led tvs last year, the moment you dim the lights to watch a movie it soon becomes apparent, try watching something like harry potter or a dark horror movie on an led with the lights down, its shockingly bad!
moved to plasma and i would never buy an led or lcd for my main viewing, ive even thought about grabbing another gt60 to see me well till oled become affordable.
The guys in big box stores havent got a clue when it come to tv tech. plasma slays led full stop!

ianeb

I have been looking to replace my 51" Samsung D6900 for a while now and have stumbled on this model a few times but overlooked it as a cheap, mid tier set... How wrong it seems I was! I will now be seriously looking to purchase one of these to see me through to the introduction of affordable OLED!

As for the post syaing LED has superior blacks, well I really am not sure what to say!? I have looked at several mid to top range LED's over the months with the interest of buying and have not found a single one that displays dark scenes in a dimly lit room anywhere near as good as my 2 year old plasma. Hence why I haven't splashed out nearly £2k on an F8000.

Same complaints every year from the owners, light bleed, no screen uniformity, DSE, seeing light strips during sports, motion blur etc etc.... Not saying my TV is perfect but I don't suffer from any of those.

davidcrofter

My brother just bought an all singing all dancing Sony LED "upgrading" from an old Panasonic 37" PX80 plasma so I popped in to check it out yesterday ...

Couldn't help pointing out to him the backlight bleed in the bottom corner and a series of vertical bands on the whole screen - on a fully black screen it was like a patchwork quilt. I told him to test for panning shots on football and sure enough the screen was a total mess and that is saying nothing of the over processed look it gave with all the crap turned off.

Suffice to say I told him not to throw the box out.:devil:

Not sure how successful this transition to 4K LED is going to be but I think the RMA departments of all the manufacturers are going to be mighty busy in 2014.

RenaultSport

I've never got the plasma thing personally. I'm happy to believe in the expert reviews and the tech results, but they never seem to deliver the promise of the "inky" blacks etc when seen in the flesh.

I compared two screens using the same media, and in the same dark environment but the local dimming LCD display was far sharper, with more vivid colours and better blacks. I'm personally not bothered what it says on the tin, just what it delivers, and judging by how unpopular they now are to customers and retailers, it's really not surprising they are disappearing.

So many thing about this that are just wrong I don't even know where to start.

kanackaz

Novice Member
I own this TV since a couple of months. Can you post the settings after calibration, both movie and 3D, please? I'd like to compare my current settings with yours!

Loopthrough

went thru 7 led tvs last year, the moment you dim the lights to watch a movie it soon becomes apparent, try watching something like harry potter or a dark horror movie on an led with the lights down, its shockingly bad!
moved to plasma and i would never buy an led or lcd for my main viewing, ive even thought about grabbing another gt60 to see me well till oled become affordable.
The guys in big box stores havent got a clue when it come to tv tech. plasma slays led full stop!
Yes, it slays edge lit LED, but direct-lit local dimming LED (very rare now) is/was just like plasma.

Dans1210

my bros picking this one up next week, although i own a gt60 50" cant wait to see this in 60" running forza 5, i think he may need a hand getting it on the wall :)

a4lloxo

What absolute cobblers, you've obviously never seen a decent plasma then!

Fitze73

after owning lcd's for years , i thought my next progression would be LED , but after owning this ps60f5500 plasma my 3rd one now , i wished id have gone plasma years ago :)

ianeb

is 5ft too close to sit from this TV!? It's the furthest away I can get o_O

Fitze73

is 5ft too close to sit from this TV!? It's the furthest away I can get o_O

the further you can get the better really im around 12ft from mine :), but all depends on the space/layout of your room , think 5ft you would be ok though , i think recommended is 8ft for 60" screen though

Tonkerdog

What absolute cobblers, you've obviously never seen a decent plasma then!

I've seen a few, the latest was the Beovision 12-65 which uses the latest Panasonic plasma panel I believe. Sat next to a Beovision 7-55 Mk2 it wasn't a patch on the LCD, but hey oh we all have different tastes and desires I guess.

Tonkerdog

So many thing about this that are just wrong I don't even know where to start.

Well if I sit in a store with a load of other people and we all agreed that we preferred the LCD, that's just the way it goes I guess. It's just a TV at the end of the day, so if it makes happy who cares.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon