Samsung PS60E8000 vs Panasonic TH-P65ST50 - which is best?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by zez, Aug 14, 2012.

1. zez

zez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide between the following TVs...since I have an insurance claim on my old Samsung PS58C7000, I can get one of the following to replace:

Samsung PS60E8000 vs Panasonic TH-P65ST50 - which is best?

I can get the Panasonic for approx $200 more....so am I crazy not to pay $200 cash on top to get a 5 inch bigger TV? Or is the Samsung such better quality?

Please help!!

Thanks so much!!

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Welcome to the forums.
    What country are you in? As a UK site we compare UK and EU sets that may have some differences to your regions sets.

These are both very good sets with pros and cons to both, the best thing you can do is go demo them at a decent store.

I also moved the thread as its plasma specific and you'll get more responses here.;)

3. zez

zez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks for your prompt reply. ANd thanks for moving my post....sorry about that!

Any cons to the 65ST?

So even if they were both the same size...sounds like the ST is better quality, based on reviews I have read? My only reservation was that the 8000 Samsung is their top range product, whereas the Panasonic ST is not their top range...so I was worried I was getting an inferior TV just because I wanted a bigger set for only a little extra.

4. deblee

deblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The Panasonic has better blacks for sure (the Samsung at that size has better blacks that the smaller series but is still behind the Panny) but this year the Samsung sets are supposed to be better wrt ir.
    Unless Panasonic sort out the dseb issues then I would hesitate to recommend them
    If you do get one make sure you get one from a decent retailer
    Check out the reviews on hdtv test and here to compare (don't forget the smaller size Samsung's have worse blacks)

5. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    In the st thread ive written a mini review on the 65st50.
    Would link to it but on my phone and have no idea how to link with my phone lol :)

6. paul77

paul77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    dont forget the filter, the ST50 filter cannot hold a candle to the VT or E8000 and that makes a major factor if light control is an issue

I was going for the ST but having demo'd it opted for the e8000 which will shortly be up in my new room

7. z00h

z00h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'd get Sammy for IR only, they seem to have eliminated it completely. I hope that next year they'll eliminate the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz