Samsung PS59D6900 owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagpuss69

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread for this set, as there genuinely seems to be some significant differences in the way this models performs compared to the 51" version.

I'm guessing that mods might merge the threads at some point in the future, but for now, it looks like a good idea.

I'm returning my PS51D6900 tomorrow, and taking delivery of the PS59D6900, so I should be well placed to comment on the pros/cons of both.

Andy.

I was going to start a PSxxD6900 thread instead but let's see how they run separately for a bit.

Thought I'd start a new thread for this set, as there genuinely seems to be some significant differences in the way this models performs compared to the 51" version.

I'm guessing that mods might merge the threads at some point in the future, but for now, it looks like a good idea.

I'm returning my PS51D6900 tomorrow, and taking delivery of the PS59D6900, so I should be well placed to comment on the pros/cons of both.

Andy.

Same here...my 51" is going back and I'm getting the 59" instead...with a free 3D bluray player. Not that I need the player, so I'll be selling it on. I've also got 3 spare pairs or SSG3100's that I don't need...so need to put these in the 'classifieds' I think.

Looking forward to getting the larger screen.

I was going to start a PSxxD6900 thread instead but let's see how they run separately for a bit.

So is everyone returning the 51" for the 59" ?, Whats the diff then, is it black levels ?
Ta:)

Dog said:
Well I found that both the blacks are blacker and more importantly for me the colours are much more vibrant.

Factory standard mode on the 51" was too dim all round, not so with the 59", even though the settings are exactly the same.

I found the movie mode on the 51" was brighter than standard and I put cell light up to 17. The picture is lovely and bright and has an LCD look but without all the nasty LCD things that go with an LCD.

Well I found that both the blacks are blacker and more importantly for me the colours are much more vibrant.

Factory standard mode on the 51" was too dim all round, not so with the 59", even though the settings are exactly the same.

That sounds like the same issue the US D8000 Plasma has then.

I found the movie mode on the 51" was brighter than standard and I put cell light up to 17. The picture is lovely and bright and has an LCD look but without all the nasty LCD things that go with an LCD.

Unusual that the 'Movie mode would be brighter than 'Standard :confused:.

panman40 said:
Unusual that the 'Movie mode would be brighter than 'Standard :confused:.

Yeah I thought that too, the standard mode is dim and dreary compared to movie.

Hi all,

just ordered the Samsung ps59d6900 from John Lewis. I hope it does not buzz like the 3 Samsung PS50c7000's I returned last year. Looking forward to delivery :thumbsup:

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Hi all,

just ordered the Samsung ps59d6900 from John Lewis. I hope it does not buzz like the 3 Samsung PS50c7000's I returned last year. Looking forward to delivery :thumbsup:

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Me to I just payed 1558 delivered. Price matched with Robert whyte

Same here...my 51" is going back and I'm getting the 59" instead...with a free 3D bluray player. Not that I need the player, so I'll be selling it on. I've also got 3 spare pairs or SSG3100's that I don't need...so need to put these in the 'classifieds' I think.

How much did you pay for all that?

Well rather worryingly after 6 days of enjoyable viewing I watched Masterchef yesterday and it was just endless brightness fluctuations.

I had just tweaked my settings based on some calibrated ones on AVSFORUMS and had turned cell light down and contrast up. It could of course have been the transmission but Have changed settings back and will check again tonight.

Hope its a one off but this coupled with the buzz could see the set going back.

Does anyone know how much the screen weighs?
Also can anyone recommend a slimline wall bracket that doesn't cost to much.

My 59D6900 is coming tomorrow...woo hoo!!!

How much did you pay for all that?

Long story.

I originally had the 50C7000. That went back in exchange for the 51D6900 which was cheaper and came with a pair of 3100 specs that the retailer gave me. So the extra 'credit' I was owed I took in the form of 3 additional pairs of specs.

Now getting the 59D6900. Have also got 2 pairs of 3700 specs coming so keeping just one pair of the 3100's.

Basically, when all said and done, I've got the 59D6900 for £1599 delivered, three year warranty, a pair of 3100 specs and a 3D bluray player. I've also got a pair of 3300 specs coming from Samsung free of charge...but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
leamspaceman said:
My 59D6900 is coming tomorrow...woo hoo!!!

Long story.

I originally had the 50C7000. That went back in exchange for the 51D6900 which was cheaper and came with a pair of 3100 specs that the retailer gave me. So the extra 'credit' I was owed I took in the form of 3 additional pairs of specs.

Now getting the 59D6900. Have also got 2 pairs of 3700 specs coming so keeping just one pair of the 3100's.

Basically, when all said and done, I've got the 59D6900 for £1599 delivered, three year warranty, a pair of 3100 specs and a 3D bluray player. I've also got a pair of 3300 specs coming from Samsung...but that remains to be seen.

Does samsung supply you with a pair when you get the tv or do you have to send off for them

Does samsung supply you with a pair when you get the tv or do you have to send off for them

You get nothing from Samsung. My retailer had been sent some 'free' pairs of 3100's so were happy to give me a pair. If you ring Samsung though, and give them your serial number and e-mail them a copy of your receipt...they will send you a pair. That's what they are saying anyway...but as far as I'm aware, no-one has got any yet using this method:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My new PS59D6900D from JL was delivered yesterday after they price matched RW. My joy of receiving this particular TV was short lived because on unboxing the set I noticed that the power cable is attached to the set which I found strange. On further examination I noticed that it's not easily detachable like my previous plasmas. The power cable attaches to the set via a 3 pin connector block under a screwed down cover plate.

This is a problem because my set is going on a wall and will be wired into a fused spur socket. This means unlike my previous sets I can't use another power cable because of the way the power cable is connected to the new set. My only option is to cut the new cable and wire it into the fused spur socket. Will this invidate any warranty both manufactuer's and JL's?

Secondly there was no complimentary or free 3d glasses in the box despite JL stating in their pricecmatch email to me that there will be one in the box. I have informed JL and customer support will be contacting me today to try and resolve the issue

I'm also not happy with the fact that despite JL price matching RW for £1559.95, JL have charged the full price of £1800 to my CC. When I brought this to JL's attention, I was advised this is the norm and that after delivery of the item, some one from their NUK Dept will phone me this week and refund the difference between their price and RW's. I find this this rather odd because why after agreeing to pricematch a competitor but then charge the full price and then refund the difference? How would this pan out in a scenario whereby the limit of my CC is for argument same £1600 or I have only got £1600 to spend on my CC? Where would that have left the agreed deal of £1559.95 which incidentally was agreed prior to paying for the item

Aside of the above all is not doom and gloom as the set looks awesome, super thin and very light in weight compared to my previous plasmas'. I have temporarily connected the set and the picture quality is simply breathtaking likewise the sound. I have not tweaked it in any way shape or form, just out of the box settings and all I can say is awesome awesome awesome!!!!

I can't wait to put it through it's paces after JL have resolved all outstanding issues such as the non freesat, 3d glasses and the price difference refund in addition to me resolving the power cable issue to avoid invalidating any warranty

I'm interested in your glasses. Can you direct me to your advert of PM me?

Does the TV support ARC?

Also, I take it the hdmi connections are flush with the wall? Dam it! My HDMI buried in the wall has an angled connection....reckon these can be flattened....:nono:

Well, I finally got my PS59 today, and I'm well pleased. Was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but when the delivery guy showed up, he had another C680 in the van. :mad: Picking error in the warehouse, as all the paperwork I've got clearly says PS59D6900. Having said that, JL sorted it out, and the new set arrived at about 0830 this morning.

As for the TV, then it's really excellent. It's big, but that can only be a good thing in my eyes. Our average viewing distance from it is about 2.7m, and it works very well at this distance. Details in 1080p blu-rays that I previously missed are now crystal clear. Not tried 3D yet, as I've had to go to work :-(

Will write more once I've had a proper chance to muck about with it.

Yes. It supports ARC on HDMI2.

As for the HDMI connectors, then I bought some little right angled adapters from DealExtreme to sort that problem out. You can get them here:

$2.15 - HDMI Male to Female Video Converter Adapter - Black - AV Equipment

Cool. That will free the optical on my amp.

As with those connectors my excisting cable already is angled at 90deg for me previous tv so these would only curl it back round on itself making it too big. Might have to start digging at the sealed holes again!!

Secondly there was no complimentary or free 3d glasses in the box despite JL stating in their pricecmatch email to me that there will be one in the box. I have informed JL and customer support will be contacting me today to try and resolve the issue
I price matched Robert whyte as well. Does Robert whyte send out a free pair of glasses then as I didn't see anything about free glasses on there website.
Or did you just crack a deal with customer services at John lewis

Got to say I'm pretty ****** off with John Lewis as I ordered my tv on monday but there delivery booking system was down and someone was supposed to contact me within 48 hours to arrange delivery. But I've still not had a call !!
You would think spending £1500 that they would have made more of an effort.

im so close to buying this tv but im only 2.2m from the screen, im i too close?

also i really need to know from a guy who knows his stuff what the blacks are like. id be using cinema smooth for blu rays and understand the blacks rise using this feature but without it the motion wouldnt be as smooth.

i currently have a ps50c7000 and the blacks are ok but just ok, they arent very good when using CS so i use motion judder canceller instead which i beleive is no longer prensant on the d6900.

this is driving me mad....grrrrr. i should i get the vt30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom