Samsung PS59D6900 owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
panman40 said:
Hi, I notice your getting your replacement TV setup instore to check it, I would double check with them that if you do see issues once you have it at home it will still be returnable ;), Just a thought like if you all agree no probs instore is what i mean :laugh:

Good point, thanks for that. My dealer seems pretty good though and doesn't hesitate in telling me to return the 2 sets I've had so far. I'll mention it to him though.
What's on your shortlist now m8?

So annoying, i just ordered the TV with price match at JL.

Done.:smashin:

I then rang 1 hour later to change the delivery date and the guy had to re do the order so anyway when confirming the details again he said it has 3 year warranty... I said no, i was told it's 5 on my first order and that's what's been matched. He said No it's 3 and so i cancelled the order.

I have just sent JL a complain email.... The first guy also said it included 1 pair of glasses but i think that may be lie too.

Those who have it matched with Robert Whtye, have you got 3 or 5 year?

Awaiting a JL reply.

I just rang another customer rep, and he confirms it is 5 year warranty, that dude made me cancel a genuine order. I am think of re-ordering it online, how does the price match work when ordering online?

Dog said:
Apparently,reading AVS forums on the fluctuating brightness subject, the Factory reset from the service menu is a complete reset and reaches the parts that the exit button press does not.

Just tried it from the service menu and it's made no difference. Thanks for the tip though. Did you have flicker on your 51"ers and how bad was it if you did?

Dog said:
I don't want to labour a point too much but it has to be said that although the 51" is excellent the 59" is instantly recognisably better. Although the electronics behind the panels are the same, the panels are NOT equals.

I saw the 59" in the demo room briefly when I exchanged the 51" last week. It did indeed look impressive and very big lol. It's a shame they don't do a 55".

Cancelled my order with John Lewis yesterday after I ordered and payed for the tv last monday.
And was told that the delivery booking system was down and that I would get a call within 24 hours to book a delivery.
It got to Thursday and I had to call them as i still hadnt recieved a call. The guy told me that I would get a call next week some time to arrange delivery.
After trying to get a pair of 3d glasses out of them for messing me around. I told them to stick it.
Then he had the cheek to tell me someone would phone next week from cancellation to refund the money.
After I put the phone down I thought, so my money will be in there bank for another 4 or 5 days before they refund it.
So I rang back and demanded a refund there and then. Which I got!!!
It seems John Lewis is quickly losing it title as best for customer service. It seems I'm not the only one as well.
You would think someone spending £1500 quid would get a bit of priority.
Got to say though the longer the week was going on I was wondering if I had made a mistake ordering so early in the year. What with no glasses or blurry films as part of a package yet. Unlike the Americans who get 2 pairs of specs and a few films chucked in as standard.

Got to say though the longer the week was going on I was wondering if I had made a mistake ordering so early in the year. What with no glasses or blurry films as part of a package yet. .

Well I am in similar boat as you, i had my order canceled, but now thinking if i am ordering too early.... What's your plans? I deffo think this is the TV i want but you think the price will come down soon?

@mattk69 if you decide to get your tv anyway, just let us know what are your impression in comparison with your 42pz80. Currently I own 50pz81 and I would like to know is the 2d image that much better in new samsung plasma screen. I'm still deciding whether go for 59d6900(can't find it anywhere in stores to look at in Edinburgh) or maybe panasonic 50gt30(played with it a little in store).

$lim$hady said:
Well I am in similar boat as you, i had my order canceled, but now thinking if i am ordering too early.... What's your plans? I deffo think this is the TV i want but you think the price will come down soon?

Yeah this looks like the tv for me but I think in going to wait for either samsung to bring out a package deal or it to drop by a couple of hundred pound.
Which I'm sure it will when the other manufacturers get there tvs out and readily available on shop shelves.
Thats the problem at the moment is that demand is outstripping supply. But as soon as these tvs start filling up warehouses that's when the deals will start. But at the moment there coming in then out.

mattk69 said:
Yeah this looks like the tv for me but I think in going to wait for either samsung to bring out a package deal or it to drop by a couple of hundred pound.
Which I'm sure it will when the other manufacturers get there tvs out and readily available on shop shelves.
Thats the problem at the moment is that demand is outstripping supply. But as soon as these tvs start filling up warehouses that's when the deals will start. But at the moment there coming in then out.

I'm not too sure. This years sets seem cheaper straight from the off than last year. If you look at how much the c6900's are/were selling for at the end of their cycle, the d6900's are less than £100 more than that now. I don't think think they're going to drop considerably like in previous years.

I'm getting this TV - Its being delivered on Wednesday & I'm soooooooooo excited

Does anybody know if you can get a family pack of 3d glasses & which of the bluetooth ones are, if any - better?

Cheers

has anybody got any advanced picture settings?

I would.nt mind some colour space and white balance settings to tweak the picture.

my current general PS are

Mode = Movie
Cell light = 20
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 52
Sharpness = 40
Colour = 55
Black tone = darker
Gamma = 1
Colour tone = Warm1
black level = Low
Film Mode = auto 2
All other enhancments = OFF

Got this delivered yesterday. First impressions are very good.

Played some 3D PS3 - COD & Super Stardust HD - Very impressed.

Watched some sky 3d I had +'ed as well.

General HD picture is very good, I imagine it will get even better once I've run it it.

Got it hooked up using wireless N to my router no problems, streamed some BBC HD and it looked really good. Did the firmware update as well, not sure what it did but it worked fine.

Need to fine tune the picture but I am happy thus far. I will post more when I get this chance.

And it's massive :thumbsup:

Has anyone got this tele running under windows 7 yet?

When I have it at the recommended 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz the taskbar, etc at the bottom of the screen isn't visible.

If I drop down a resolution this is resolved but it only displays at 1768 x 992 @ 30Hz....

Any ideas anyone?

There is an app for the samsung remote control on the apple istore.

Connects to the tv over wifi

Ive got it home and on the wall. Its been a long day but my first thoughts are the blacks are brilliant, Alot better than my PS50C7000 but i will test them properly tonight with TDK and The Descent as its too bright at the moment.

The screen is alittle more reflective than my C7000 but its not a problem at all. The PQ is at least equal to the c7000, maybe alittle better but its hard to say without both running side by side.

The smart hub is great and very responsive, alot better than the old interface.

They is no motion judder canceller on this set which is a little dissapointing as i liked using it for the footy and other sports but i guess its not needed.

I havnt tested the input lag yet but will later on Gears 3 beta (active reload), the c7000 had next to none (0.20ms) so i expect this set to be the same if not better.

The one thing stopping me from getting the 51inch was the black levels not been as good as the 59inch but i was worried the 59 would be too big as im only 2.3m from the screen but to mine and the wifes joy its not to big its perfect. The slim design and slim wall bracket make a massive difference.

I will report back later tonight or tomorrow on gaming, blu rays, and more pros and cons but so far its a big thumbs up from me especially the black they are amazing so far.

Hey jasjw,

I'm in the same boat and was either going to get the D8000 or the D6900, I had the C7000 until it got stolen so my insurance claim is either one of these.

Are you going to be posting any pics of them side by side I'd really like to see the comparison? When I see the D6900 in the stores I notice the black are no where near a superior as to the D8000. As for the D6900 I thought it was worse.

Hey jasjw,

I'm in the same boat and was either going to get the D8000 or the D6900, I had the C7000 until it got stolen so my insurance claim is either one of these.

Are you going to be posting any pics of them side by side I'd really like to see the comparison? When I see the D6900 in the stores I notice the black are no where near a superior as to the D8000. As for the D6900 I thought it was worse.

no mate i dont have time to compare them side by side, plus the c7000 is away for repair at the moment. I cant comment on the d8000 as ive never actually seen one in the flesh.

I cant comment on the d8000 as ive never actually seen one in the flesh.

So to compare the D5900 to the C7000 you would still say it's a win overall?

thanks for the reply

So to compare the D5900 to the C7000 you would still say it's a win overall?

thanks for the reply

yeah the d6900 is better than the c7000, the blacks are miles better, the PQ is slightly better, Better UI.

Ive recently watched the descent and Sanctum and the blacks and PQ was awesome.

The only thing that was better on the c7000 was the real black filter for reflections as the d6900 doesnt have it but its not a problem.

The only thing that was better on the c7000 was the real black filter for reflections as the d6900 doesnt have it but its not a problem.

Yeah I had that with the C7000 even with that I noticed the reflections from my lounge room window which runs parallel to my TV. The sun would hit directly in for about 2-3 hours of the day.

I've noticed over the weekend, that I am getting slight brightness fluctuations with my set. Noticed it particularly when watching the Royal Wedding. When the brides mother was being driven to Westminster, there were many shots where the brightness changed very slightly up and down.

I'm guessing this is the ABL (automatic brightness limiter) that I've heard about, but I've never seen anything like it on my previous plasmas, and certainly not on the PS51D6900 that I recently returned.

I'm wondering if this issue is more prevalent, the bigger the panel is.

I know that others are reporting really freaky brightness fluctuations, which sound like obvious faults. Is anyone else out there seeing what I am?

Bagpuss69 said:
I've noticed over the weekend, that I am getting slight brightness fluctuations with my set. Noticed it particularly when watching the Royal Wedding. When the brides mother was being driven to Westminster, there were many shots where the brightness changed very slightly up and down.

I'm guessing this is the ABL (automatic brightness limiter) that I've heard about, but I've never seen anything like it on my previous plasmas, and certainly not on the PS51D6900 that I recently returned.

I'm wondering if this issue is more prevalent, the bigger the panel is.

I know that others are reporting really freaky brightness fluctuations, which sound like obvious faults. Is anyone else out there seeing what I am?

+1
It may well be the ABL but each set reacts slightly differently. I've just found that it's reduced on standard mode. I was using movie mode but have altered the standard mode to give me the same picture as I was getting on movie mode and the brightness flux and flickering have greatly reduced. Still there but only notice it cos I'm looking for it. It's still going back though lol.

Edit. This is on my 51" btw

Hi, I've been unable to find the full specs for this TV. Is it 24p compatable?

well after all my praise for this set im also getting these brightness flucuations. I see it more and more and is starting to **** me off.

Dont know what to do.

jasjw said:
well after all my praise for this set im also getting these brightness flucuations. I see it more and more and is starting to **** me off.

Dont know what to do.

Do you think it could be something samsung could sort out with a firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom