Samsung PS59D6900 owners thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of the part 6 thread that can be found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1544767-samsung-ps59d6900-owners-thread-part-6-a.html

Last Post
Nope, sorry panman40 I'm not. I was thinking of it but swayed via a Panasonice and Sony (I mean why duplicate all the same smart features when you can have some others) to the Oppo 93.

Racquel, I would just be sensible, reduce the settings and stick to say 10-15 minute blasts followed by some all screen moving stuff and you'll be fine. My children have been very good as played the Wii in short bursts, and weren't watching any of their usual logo plastered screens when I explained it to them. My 9 year old has been using her table and charting skill to keep track of when it is approximately 200 hours :) Much longer period than one would think.

Following on from my previous post yesterday...my TV suffers no temporary IR...none at all. And yet, after running it in and having at least 500 hours on it before doing any gaming...it has permanently burnt letterboxed lines and the health meter from 'Dead Island' on the PS3.

As this is the second set I've had that has suffered permanent screen burn, it was from Sky News on the first set...I'd say it is a problem.

My current set has been perfect in every other respect...no IR, no brightness flucs, no line bleed, no buzzing...just amazing picture quality. But now it has permanently burnt in images from little letterboxed movie watching and sensible gaming usage. In 'Dead Island', the health meter is not constantly on-screen. It's probably on there 30% of the time and for 5 minutes continuously at the most.

Along with the pink tint (that I also had on my previous set) and watermark this is very disappointing all-round.

I am going to get a refund, forget Samsung TV's totally...and go for something else. Temporary IR I can live with...but permanent burn is not acceptable. Along with the terrible customer service from Samsung, who refuse to acknowledge web forums such as this for evidence of issues with their TV's, I think it'll be a long time before I ever purchase any Samsung product again...and probably never a TV.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully for others like me who are still looking to purchase one it is quite a rare case as im really surprised to hear you have screen burn- especially as various unrealistic tests indicate that screen burn with current plasmas is pretty much impossible.

Would you really qualify for a refund based on screen burn as surely they could say thats self inflicted damage or something?

Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully for others like me who are still looking to purchase one it is quite a rare case as im really surprised to hear you have screen burn- especially as various unrealistic tests indicate that screen burn with current plasmas is pretty much impossible.

Would you really qualify for a refund based on screen burn as surely they could say thats self inflicted damage or something?

I'm going for the refund based on the pink tinting issue and the watermark. The pink tinting is worse than it was on my previous set and the engineer deemed that as unacceptable. That's when they came to replace the panel and basically broke the TV, causing a very major issue whilst fitting the replacement. These TV's are not meant to be stripped down and rebuilt, especially at a customers home.

As I've had screen burn on both my sets...I'd say it is a very real issue, not that rare...and certainly possible.

I would really think long and hard before buying one of these. It isn't just the TV itself, it's the attitude of Samsung when it comes to after care. If you have issues...you'll be fobbed off. In fact, you'll be lucky to be fobbed off...at least then you'll be getting a response!

Last edited:
I have never seen a hint of IR whatsoever, no visible difference from watching widescreen films either. Seems to be bullet proof so far but I haven't done much gaming on it so not sure how it would fare with that.

leamspaceman said:
I'm going for the refund based on the pink tinting issue and the watermark. The pink tinting is worse than it was on my previous set and the engineer deemed that as unacceptable. That's when they came to replace the panel and basically broke the TV, causing a very major issue whilst fitting the replacement. These TV's are not meant to be stripped down and rebuilt, especially at a customers home.

As I've had screen burn on both my sets...I'd say it is a very real issue, not that rare...and certainly possible.

I would really think long and hard before buying one of these. It isn't just the TV itself, it's the attitude of Samsung when it comes to after care. If you have issues...you'll be fobbed off. In fact, you'll be lucky to be fobbed off...at least then you'll be getting a response!

So you have had two tvs, and both have a pink tint. For starters that is not normal. Yet one tv has been replaced and the second one may be replaced but you haven't requested it yet. How is that actually bad customer service?

Further more under UK law and practise it is the retailer with whom you got the contract and they should make the appropriate arrangements.

In addition as a manufacturer I wouldn't set the expectations to listen and take for granted everything you read online. There are a few focal voices and many more that don't. Again they supply the distributors and some retailers. Best way to make an official statement is going trough those channels getting a repair or a return sorted.

It sounds like you've been unlucky with two pink sets. Are you sure your feeds are ok and not causing this?

Following on from my previous post yesterday...my TV suffers no temporary IR...none at all. And yet, after running it in and having at least 500 hours on it before doing any gaming...it has permanently burnt letterboxed lines and the health meter from 'Dead Island' on the PS3.

I've currently got Dead Island and Rage on the go, alongside F3AR and House of the Dead 3D. I've not noticed any issues at all with anything related to IR. What I have started to notice though is a lot of characters have a glow around them, almost like the ReadyBreak glow, but no matter how much you play with the brightness and contrast, its always there. My wife has the Wii on every night as well for her Wii Fit thingy and more often than not leaves the image on pause while she's out taking a call on her mobile.

On a side note, what are other owner's views on the way that the TV deals with DVDs upscaled. Wifey was watching the Lethal Weapon series last week and it wasn't looking very good.

if this has been asked before then i apologise but i haven't been on here for a while.

Whenever i turn the telly on i get a login screen come up which lasts for about a minute. To say it's annoying is an understatement! How do i turn this off?

Still no probs at all with the telly

Isn't this related to having the "Social Network" option turned on in Smart Hub. I had this for a week or so but had to find out how to switch it off. From memory, I think you can access it from the Hub and once the login screen loads, you can turn it off from there. It might well be in the TV setting menu as well. But you can definitely switch it off, I know how annoying that can be. Real PITA. I get the same thing from time to time that says "Searching for Signal". It seems the TV is quick to determine that the Sky Box hasn't caught up with it yet. Just another annoying senseless box.

On a side note, what are other owner's views on the way that the TV deals with DVDs upscaled. Wifey was watching the Lethal Weapon series last week and it wasn't looking very good.

I think it is pretty very bad at upscaling SD stuff, the Wii looks rubbish as did DVD's...In comparison with the outgoing Pioneer Plasma...But size is bigger so any lower resolution problems will show up more as well.

DVD Upscaling is sorted now I've got the Oppo, it looks very good again. My Humax Freesat HDR is set to output in Original and use my Yamaha AMP to upscale where necessary. And likewise with the Wii, I let the Yamaha receiver do its magic with component upscaling...

So you have had two tvs, and both have a pink tint. For starters that is not normal. Yet one tv has been replaced and the second one may be replaced but you haven't requested it yet. How is that actually bad customer service?

Further more under UK law and practise it is the retailer with whom you got the contract and they should make the appropriate arrangements.

In addition as a manufacturer I wouldn't set the expectations to listen and take for granted everything you read online. There are a few focal voices and many more that don't. Again they supply the distributors and some retailers. Best way to make an official statement is going trough those channels getting a repair or a return sorted.

It sounds like you've been unlucky with two pink sets. Are you sure your feeds are ok and not causing this?

I've had four Samsung TV's this year. The only reason anything happened with me getting replacements was because I wouldn't let it go. It's too much to go into again and I've given details in previous threads way back. If I had just accepted Samsungs stance I'd still be in possession of a 'C' series that blinks, loses sync with the glasses etc etc.

My feeds are fine. The TV's have developed the pink tint over time...it hasn't been there from day one.

I have to reiterate...I get no IR on my screen at all. What I have got is permanent screen burn. IR is temporary and fades...burn-in is permanent. I see it more when cameras pan down. If I'm watching golf, a player takes a shot and the camera follows the ball into the air and back down. As the camera goes up then down...the 'Dead Island' health meter and letterbox lines can be clearly seen against the background of the sky. Also, red seems to show up the burn particularly well, if something on screen is red. Strangely, the burn is less evident when the screen is showing white?

I may be unlucky getting 2 pink panels...but 2 panels that suffer screen burn...that cannot be unlucky? I'm just wondering how many more sets will develop this in time. With my sets, it seems that the more hours that are on it, the more risk of burn-in...this being totally contrary to popular belief? It doesn't make sense?

I had little to no DSE when the set was new...but this has got worse too...especially on fast panning. It's pretty bad when watching footy.

Last edited:
I've had four Samsung TV's this year. The only reason anything happened with me getting replacements was because I wouldn't let it go. It's too much to go into again and I've given details in previous threads way back. If I had just accepted Samsungs stance I'd still be in possession of a 'C' series that blinks, loses sync with the glasses etc etc.

My feeds are fine. The TV's have developed the pink tint over time...it hasn't been there from day one.

I have to reiterate...I get no IR on my screen at all. What I have got is permanent screen burn. IR is temporary and fades...burn-in is permanent. I see it more when cameras pan down. If I'm watching golf, a player takes a shot and the camera follows the ball into the air and back down. As the camera goes up then down...the 'Dead Island' health meter and letterbox lines can be clearly seen against the background of the sky. Also, red seems.to show up the burn particularly well, if something on screen is red. Strangely, the burn is less evident when the screen is showing white?

I may be unlucky getting 2 pink panels...but 2 panels that suffer screen burn...that cannot be unlucky? I'm just wondering how many more sets will develop this in time. With my sets, it seems that the more hours that are on it, the more risk if burn-in...this being totally contrary to popular belief? It doesn't make sense?

I had little to no DSE when the set was new...but this has got worse too...especially on fast panning. It's pretty bad when watching footy.
First point; the point I made before, it isn't down to accepting their stance unless you bought from them. So whilst sentimentally that point may exist, it really isn't there in the real world.

Second point; I agree, it doesn't make sense. So either an inherent fault that all of them suffer with, which doesn't seem to be the case, or something you or your environment does to them, or just unlucky....

First point; the point I made before, it isn't down to accepting their stance unless you bought from them. So whilst sentimentally that point may exist, it really isn't there in the real world.

Second point; I agree, it doesn't make sense. So either an inherent fault that all of them suffer with, which doesn't seem to be the case, or something you or your environment does to them, or just unlucky....

I'm not sure how my environment could cause these issues? Having said that...people do seem to be experiencing a variety of issues that could point to individual circumstance.

The retailer replaced the first three sets. However, they are stating that after a period of time, because it was an internet purchase, the warranty transfers over to Samsung and I have to deal with them. Based on this, Samsung directly replaced the set last time. I agree, the contract is with the retailer and my credit card company also believe this to be the case. Just because a retailer states something...it doesn't mean that it's lawful.

I'll get a refund...and look for something other than Samsung.

I thought the same thing regarding upscaled dvds, I bought Breaking Bad season 3 on dvd because you cant get it on Blu-Ray over here and I thought it looked appalling, Thought it was just the transfer at first but when I tried it on the sammy C650 LCD it looked just fine which also ruled out the panny player being the culprit.

It is a Strange one though as it was only with dvd, SD content through the Humax looked decent enough.

You do have to be sensible when gaming on a plasma, now I don't know how long you've had the image on screen for that's burnt in or what picture settings you were using (contrast / brightness etc) but with gaming I would be careful and use lower settings and even change channel occassionally. Do you have it on 16:9 with pixel shift on cos having it on screen fit is bound to make things worse?

You do have to be sensible when gaming on a plasma, now I don't know how long you've had the image on screen for that's burnt in or what picture settings you were using (contrast / brightness etc) but with gaming I would be careful and use lower settings and even change channel occassionally. Do you have it on 16:9 with pixel shift on cos having it on screen fit is bound to make things worse?

Yep, pixel shift on...no excessively high settings. In a 2 hour gaming session, I'd say the health meter that has burnt in is on screen for 40 mins. It isn't constantly on screen as you have to go to other screens a lot (quests, inventory, map etc).

And remember, I have burn-in from letterboxed movies black bars too.

leamspaceman said:

As this is the second set I've had that has suffered permanent screen burn, it was from Sky News on the first set...I'd say it is a problem.

My current set has been perfect in every other respect...no IR, no brightness flucs, no line bleed, no buzzing...just amazing picture quality. But now it has permanently burnt in images from little letterboxed movie watching and sensible gaming usage. In 'Dead Island', the health meter is not constantly on-screen. It's probably on there 30% of the time and for 5 minutes continuously at the most.

Along with the pink tint (that I also had on my previous set) and watermark this is very disappointing all-round.

I am going to get a refund, forget Samsung TV's totally...and go for something else. Temporary IR I can live with...but permanent burn is not acceptable. Along with the terrible customer service from Samsung, who refuse to acknowledge web forums such as this for evidence of issues with their TV's, I think it'll be a long time before I ever purchase any Samsung product again...and probably never a TV.

My very first one back in March developed a pink tint on the left and right sides after a few weeks. The one i have now has a very slight pink tint on the left but only noticeable if looking carefully at a very white scene. I only know it's there because I've had a bad one before, if this was my first I wouldn't notice.

leamspaceman said:
Yep, pixel shift on...no excessively high settings. In a 2 hour gaming session, I'd say the health meter that has burnt in is on screen for 40 mins. It isn't constantly on screen as you have to go to other screens a lot (quests, inventory, map etc).

And remember, I have burn-in from letterboxed movies black bars too.

Funny cause your mate who logged on from your pc also had the same problem. Maybe it's something in the electrics round your way. Lol

I think it is pretty very bad at upscaling SD stuff, the Wii looks rubbish as did DVD's...In comparison with the outgoing Pioneer Plasma...But size is bigger so any lower resolution problems will show up more as well.

DVD Upscaling is sorted now I've got the Oppo, it looks very good again. My Humax Freesat HDR is set to output in Original and use my Yamaha AMP to upscale where necessary. And likewise with the Wii, I let the Yamaha receiver do its magic with component upscaling...
Yes, I find the D6900's upscaling very disappointing to say the least. Much too soft. Comparing the internal tuner's upscaled SD content to my HTPC's upscaled SD is like night and day. On some of the higher bitrate channels, the HTPC's output almost rivals HD, but the TV's own scaling still looks a blurry mess.

The same applies to DVDs: TV upscaling looks appalling, yet if I force my Samsung BD player to upscale DVDs to 1080p, it looks terrific. I don't know why a £80 Samsung product produces a better picture than a £1400 Samsung product, but there it is...

leamspaceman said:

I have to reiterate...I get no IR on my screen at all. What I have got is permanent screen burn. IR is temporary and fades...burn-in is permanent. I see it more when cameras pan down. If I'm watching golf, a player takes a shot and the camera follows the ball into the air and back down. As the camera goes up then down...the 'Dead Island' health meter and letterbox lines can be clearly seen against the background of the sky. Also, red seems to show up the burn particularly well, if something on screen is red. Strangely, the burn is less evident when the screen is showing white?

I may be unlucky getting 2 pink panels...but 2 panels that suffer screen burn...that cannot be unlucky? I'm just wondering how many more sets will develop this in time. With my sets, it seems that the more hours that are on it, the more risk of burn-in...this being totally contrary to popular belief? It doesn't make sense?

You and your mate just have real bad luck. Or is your mate not about anymore!!. Just to inform other guys on this forum. Leamspaceman was posting about ir and screen burn months ago and as nobody else was suffering and nobody else replied to he's posts. Eventually somebody did reply who also had the exact same issue as mr Leamspaceman. But as a moderator pointed out this guy with the same issue was also posting from the same pc as Leamspaceman.
Coincedance ? Judge for yourself

Last edited:
You and your mate just have real bad luck. Or is your mate not about anymore!!. Just to inform other guys on this forum. Leamspaceman was posting about ir and screen burn months ago and as nobody else was suffering and nobody else replied to he's posts. Eventually somebody did reply who also had the exact same issue as mr Leamspaceman. But as a moderator pointed out this guy with the same issue was also posting from the same pc as Leamspaceman.

If this is true then I, for one, am glad to know about it as the person resposible had been seriously putting me off buying this TV.

Makes you wonder what goes on in some peoples head.

Can't wait for the next instalment on this !, Better than east bloody enders LOL :rotfl:

And there was a reason for that...as I explained, but the posts above don't refer to that. My friend was staying with me at the time...and I didn't even know he'd registered on the site when I replied. If I was going to make something up...it'd be something way more fantastical...believe me. The mod in question was bang out of order posting something that was purely speculation...he should have pm'd me.

My friends set is fine...but he doesn't game on his and as he was in the process of moving he's still getting his place sorted so his viewing is minimal.

Anyway...these issues with my TV are genuine, and all I've tried to do is warn others. Other people should just comment on the technical issues at hand...not what they think is going on in other peoples heads.

You have made assumptions that are untrue and without foundation. If I had made it up...I don't know who'd be sadder...me for doing it...or others for replying to it?

To change to topic slightly.....

Finally hooked up Smarthub, and noticed I can't get sound via hdmi. Have I set up my receiver wrong, or can I only get audio via optical toslink?

nix said:
To change to topic slightly.....

Finally hooked up Smarthub, and noticed I can't get sound via hdmi. Have I set up my receiver wrong, or can I only get audio via optical toslink?

Optical mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom