Samsung PS51E6500 Owners Thread (Part 5)

It even looks as though what you wrote was a word for word copy of the CNET picture settings. Even words like like [no change] [grated out] N/A [see below] are all wrote the same in the exact same places. Amazing!

lol .. what a coincidence .. their settings for white balance and color are accurate but some of the other
settings are strange, that gamma would give you a reading around 2.0 and those brightness/contrast cell settings(combined with gamma) would make picture really dazzling and garish and leave shadow details crushed (at least on both my 60 and my 51 inch versions)

both mine are set at

cell 16
bright 56
contrast 88
gamma -1 for living room -2 for dark room

all others are same as above ..

Oh on another subject has anyone elses smart hub gone mental just recently?
keeps updating then not working or cant connect etc..

Oh on another subject has anyone elses smart hub gone mental just recently?
keeps updating then not working or cant connect etc..

read a few post back, a couple of us were having trouble. Mine comes and goes, ok at the moment touch wood. Are you wired or wireless as it looks like the wireless card going wrong could be the cause.

56 brightness. Seems a tad bright to me. Did you calibrate your TV? White balance etc?

On mine any lower than that and shadow detail is lost .. but with contrast and cell lower its not that bright .. i watch in darkened room mainly and i dont like it as bright as most peeps here do .. so trust me thats not an issue ..
i use the WB settings in post above (cnet's)

Samsungderby
If you lower the gamma for your settings, does that not counteract the higher brightness? Thus, giving you similar settings to what I've got. E.g Brightness 46
Contrast 80
Are you using the full settings from CNET? I thought they were panel specific?

I dont profess to be an expert i only go on what i see on mine .. as far as i understand it, gamma is not the same thing as brightness (actually black level)
we need to be clear really whether we are talking about maximum luminance level or brightness .. i know im prob guilty as anyone of using the terms interchangeably .. i found that setting the "brightness" control on mine at 50 or below, when using my video essentials bluray to set these things, made shadow detail pretty much non-existant , in fact to keep all detail it would have to be set quite a lot higher than that (whatever i did with cell light/contrast) but that led to picture being washed out and damaging blacks .. so i arrived at 56 as a compromise really .. as to whether i would be better adopting a lower gamma on mine than the recommended 2.4 .. im not sure, maybe any isf guys could illuminate us ?
I use the WB and CMS settings from cnet as they seem pretty accurate on both my e6500's .. obviously not as accurate as getting them isf calibrated but to my eyes a damn site better than samsungs horrendous presets (even in movie mode)

Last edited:
Ive just done a bit more research on gamma and it seems the 2.4 standard is the way to go in an ideal world with zero blacks and infinite amounts of contrast .. so great if you have a Kuro, ZT or 8500 for example .. but for lesser tv's i think 2.2 at the most .. anyway im going to try and set mine again using VE disk using lower gamma levels and if i come to a more satisfactory outcome i will post my findings here .. but in meantime any calibrators out there want to put their tuppeneth in ?

Hi samsungderby

Not a calibrator but I use -1 to give around 2.3~2.4 gamma (found -2 is too much) basically it makes dark things blacker and improves the perceived contrast. However I would suggest if you need to raise the brightness to see shadow detail either your room isn't actually dark enough or maybe you are converting 16-235 video into full range RGb at some stage, this could give you crushed blacks and whites. So check your sources/settings.

I checked carefully on a variety of programme material last night (usefully we had 300 and a Matrix Rev repeat) and couldn't find any situation where raising the brightness to your levels produced any more visible detail in dark scenes, although it did raise the black level very slightly under most circumstances. Raising brightness tends to exaggerate macroblocking and noise, the bane of panasonics with their non linear low level gamma (judging by the two I've owned).

The only proviso I would make is if there is a small area of dark picture in a generally bright picture the plasma's ABL will reduce the overall brightness and probably reduce the visible detail in that dark area, however in practise this isn't normally visible as the overall bright picture shuts your eye's iris down anyway. You can see this effect when you bring up menus, just mask the bright bit with your hand if you can't see into the dark area. Generally when you really need to see that sort of detail the whole picture is relatively dark anyway (black cat in coal cellar).

The E6500 isn't the best tv in the world but it still far exceeds most tvs for black level performance if set correctly. I'd try -1 gamma and 0 for daylight viewing but personally we just draw the curtains during the day. The hdtvtest review was quite useful.

hth Graham

thanks Graham firstly as to whether im "converting 16-235 video into full range RGb at some stage"
i have no idea and no idea to even check such a thing .. my setup is simple .. sky hd box and panny bluray go into my onkyo then from onkyo to hdm1/dvi input on tv ..
as for the room darkness trust me its always v dark :) (well, in the mancave anyway )
as for the gamma im just going on what i read somewhere it said that -2 was for 2.4 but .. maybe they differ but whatever im going to try it at -1 and 0 and see if it improves things ..

OK can't see much wrong with that setup must remember to look at people's equipment list before posting! However you do have deep colour output available from your bluray which would presumably make that sort of conversion if engaged and would need equivalent setting on the tv.

Fine on your room yes some people think dark means with a 60W table lamp on in front of the tv :rotfl: We do have a couple of lava lamps behind the set and about 5W of cool LED light hidden behind the set to improve perceived contrast, but it's still not possible to read anything like a newspaper headline unless there's a bright picture being shown. I even ordered in a set of stickon LED shades to stick over all the kit as I find most of them far too bright especially those flashing ones on pc bluray drives.

hth Graham

Are the CNET settings okay to use or are they panel specific? Eg for colour space. White balance??

I've changed the colour space and white balance settings to the CNET settings. Played around with both CNET and Samsung's settings. How do they come to 20 cell light and 99 contrast? Is it safe to have them that high?

Sigh. It's an american review of an american model. There's no reason to think the settings they used for their particular set would ever be correct on another, otherwise Samsung would just make all their sets exactly the same as they would give give exactly the same results. The most accurate components in there will be 1% resistors, everything else will have 5 or 10% tolerance and you're trying to calibrate levels to 1 or 2%. Just use it as a guide if you don't have the kit.

@Raidevita for comparison here's my colour space settings from hcfr calibration with colormunki display.
You can see some similarities but totally different numbers. Haven't looked at it for about 9 months must be due to go over it again.

Colour Space submenu:
Colour Space: Custom
Red: Red 42, Green 30, Blue 27
Green: Red 60, Green 43, Blue 27
Blue: Red 4, Green 28, Blue 52
Yellow: Red 51, Green 50, Blue 38
Cyan: Red 59, Green 41, Blue 42
Magenta: Red 50, Green 39, Blue 53

hth Graham

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. So basically, unless I have it calibrated, leave it on auto. I got the jist on this thread that many users were using those colour space settings. I am currently using cell light 14, brightness 46, contrast 80. Sharpness 10, colour 50, warm 2, gamma 0
I'm reluctant to.use higher cell and contrast with screen fit.

my TV (51'er) has been acting strange lately - usually related to the smart hub. We load Netflix and the screen turns into a mix of lots of bright colours. normally fixed by turning her off and back on again but a little annoying...

After much research, fiddling around with DVE disk and realising a past error i have come to these new settings ..
(for a dark room)
cell 16
bright 50
contrast 94
colour 50
gamma -1

all others as per cnet and im now very happy ..

Samsung.. Following on from blissbodys comment earlier..Arent the CNET settings panel specific though? I can't see how they would be great unless you've had the TV calibrated.

Samsung..are your basic settings correct without using the CNET colour space and white balance settings?

Finally got round the phoning John Lewis tech support (can't fault their customer support) and they are organising a local engineer to replace the WiFi card.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom